“A Delightfully Restful, Safe & Delicious Experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cuenca
Kookaburra Cafe and Accommodation
Ranked #28 of 69 Specialty Lodging in Cuenca
Cuenca, Ecuador
“A Delightfully Restful, Safe & Delicious Experience”
Reviewed June 1, 2010

We spent 4 nights at the Kookaburra. It is clean, safe, & effficient, with plenty of hot water and privacy ... and that was just our suite. Our room was on the ground floor, w/ twin beds, a table and chairs, settee, microwave, refrig., private bath and a heater if you need it. The bedding is comfortable. (We would have liked a full sized bed.) Water pressure is good. Our Austrailian host & hostess, Christopher & Jenny, even included a hot water pot w/ tea bags & cups for us, as well as water and soda in the refrigerator. A vase of fresh, fragrant Ecuadorian roses waited on the counter.
The $45 per night cost included breakfast. Conveniently available in the adjoining Cafe, Chris will present you with a menu while you order as much or as little as you wish. From fresh juices & rich coffee, to eggs-your- way w/ fresh veggies available or even maybe a brownie, breakfast is prepared with a measure of kindness and friendliness you would expect to find in a place you'd spent much time ... not from stangers you've just met in a foreign country.
Chris and Jenny gave us all the space and privacy we desired, but were also ready to help with directions, maps, phone calls - anything we needed to make our stay pleasurable. The expat community frequents the Kookaburra, so it was also a great place to meet in-person the acquaintances we had made online.
The Kookaburra Cafe and Accomodation is definitely a "must" when you are in Cuenca.
Whether it becomes your breakfast and lunch stop or your accommodation, you can't go wrong.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Nacogdoches, Texas
Reviewed June 1, 2010

My husband and I just returned from a two week stay at the Kookaburra and loved every minute of it. You can not find a more tranquil and soothing place to stay that will refresh your spirit after a day of sightseeing in the city. As other reviewers have noted, Jenny and Chris will make you feel like you are part of their family without being intrusive of your need for privacy.

We stayed in the upper suite, which has just recently been remodeled. The rooms are very lovely with an understated, simple sophistication. The kitchen/sitting area is complete with a microwave, frig, sink, electic kettle, dishes, a small table with 2 chairs, and a comfy chair for reading. The bathroom is very spacious, and well apponted. The bedroom has a double bed, and two side tables reading with reading lamps. If you ask for one, they will also bring you a heater for those cool nights.

The two suites are located at the back of the Kookaburra Cafe with a lovely private courtyard for sitting out and enjoying the weather with a glass of wine.

The free breakfast is great because you can choose anything you like off the Cafe's menu and make it as hearty or as healthy as you like. I ended up having Jenny's scrumptous scambeled eggs or omlet with breakfast potatoes almost everyday.

We will defintley return for another visit here if we do not end up buying our own place in the city.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2010

I spent a lovely few days relaxing in Cuenca and I stayed in the Kookaburra's downstairs suite/room, just off of a small courtyard at the back of the cafe.

The room was spotlessly clean, spacious and very quiet and the bed was comfortable albeit a little on the narrow side. I have to admit I did not sleep that well but I think that was because I was still suffering from altitude as it gave me insomnia!

The cafe was closed for most of the days I was there (Mon & Tue) but the owners got up early anyway to make me some tasty breakfast (whatever I fancied from the menu) and also the best coffee I found in Ecuador. Chris & Jenny were also very helpful in recommending local places and were great to chat to and find out about how they were getting on in Ecuador.

I found Cuenca to be a relatively safe town and I felt comfortable as a single female traveller walking out in the evenings to restaurants although I didn't stay out late and was back by 9pm latest. Outside of Cuenca I recommend a visit to the beautiful and wild Cajas national park.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Atlanta
Reviewed April 21, 2010

The room was quiet. The location is convenient to everything in the Old City. The breakfast is delicious. Th English conversation is welcoming! We look forward to our next stay!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Mid Hudson Valley, NY
Reviewed March 21, 2010

Clean, safe, comfortable and secure lodging for the budget English speaking traveler. Jenny and Chris, expatriate Australians, run an organic vegatarian breakfast/lunch restaurant on Calle Larga, well located in the heart of the historic district. In the private and quiet back courtyard are 2-3 rooms, each with a well sized sleeping area, a spacious en suite bathroom, an alcove with a sink, a small refridgerator, and a kitchen table. Jenny and Chris are gracious hosts who will help a visitor to Cuenca as much as they can. The rooms lack a TV or Internet access but you won't want to miss the included breakfast.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Alanalt
KookaburraCafe, owner at Kookaburra Cafe and Accommodation, responded to this review, April 17, 2010
Hi Alan,
We now have WiFi available for B&B Guests in the Cafe room that opens onto the courtyard. Thanks for egging us on!
Jenny
Olympai, WA
Reviewed February 25, 2010

I loved this place! The suite (not just a room) had a sitting area with a table to sit by and sip a cup of tea while munching delectable brownies baked by the cafe owners. The breakfast every morning was to die for and the coffee was wonderful. The best thing about this place, though, are the owners Chris & Jenny. I will be forever grateful to them for their warm hospitality and help in getting around Cuenca and the area. Indeed, they made us, as well as everyone who enters their cafe, feel like family. I'd like to add that we did stay in another hotel before we went to Kookaburra and it was noisey. There was never any disturbing noise at Kookaburra and, in fact, it was so quiet I had to set my alarm so I wouldn't miss the morning fun talking with the locals who came in for breakfast. We will definately return.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank louie100
Boulder, CO, USA
Reviewed February 6, 2010

Kookaburra B&B, the artistic creation of 2 delightful Aussies, is a welcome respite for English speakers. It is located a comfortable walking distance from Parque Calderon and sleeping quarters are quiet and well-lit. Cafe serves tasty coffee and breakfasts; easy to meet convivial fellow travelers here. This memorable overall experience makes a beautiful travel destination even more difficult to leave.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple