“My landing pad in Cuenca”
Review of La Casa Cuencana

La Casa Cuencana
Ranked #10 of 71 Specialty Lodging in Cuenca
Cuenca, Ecuador
“My landing pad in Cuenca”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

The first time I arrived in Cuenca I'd decided to check out La Casa Cuencana due to the reviews here on TripAdvisor. I arrived on a Saturday night and was offered a dorm room to myself, and I've stayed there every time I've been back (about once a month for the past four months). I've been in two of the three buildings that are part of the hostel. The main building has more dorms and my ONLY complaint is that there's not always enough bathroom to go around when the place is busy, but if the upstairs bathroom is occupied the downstairs one usually is not.

The family who owns the place is super friendly and very accommodating. They give you a key to the room, so you're free to come and go without disturbing anyone. There's wifi, breakfast (which is new in the last month or so, I haven't tried it yet), and the location is perfect - right down the steps from the Tomebamba River and it's pathways, within walking distance of everything in the center of town. I've always left my bags there for a few hours after check-out on the day I leave, with no problems.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Megwards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2013

This is a really nice, clean hostel on a fairly busy road, in an area of Cuenca with plenty of bars and restaurants. The owner and her son (we think) were very welcoming and friendly.
The breakfasts were really good and worth paying for.

It felt very much like a family; although we were also told not to put our bags on the bed and also had our door knocked on to see if we were smoking when someone on the street was smoking nearby, which was a bit weird. But other than that, it was great!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sean M
Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

Just as described in my guide book when I was looking for an hostel to stay in Cuenca, "Martha", the owner of this 3 building hostel, was just adorable and and made sure we were going to feel at home a la casa cuencana. The hostel lies at a great location, by some of the best restaurants and museums. It's really clean and well frequented. We also booked a day tour with Martha's son, a very interesting and knowledgeable certified tour guide and naturalist. For me, the best place I experienced to stay in Ecuador!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Yoann S
Paris, France
Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

We spent 2 days in this hostel. Martha the owner is wonderful. It's not exensive at all, the breakfast is huge with fresh fruits, cereal, yogurt etc. She helped me to call my precedent guesthouse where I had left some stuffs. She talked to rhe owner and try to help me the most she could. Her son is also a guide. He loves to talk about his culture and he is passionated. I would recommend it!!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank AlexDurok
Missoula, New York, Hawaii
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We stayed here for 5 days and thought it was a great place. Marta the owner is great. We stayed in the building next door that they just bought and were finishing it up the day we got there so we were the first ones to stay in a brand new room with private bath and it even had a balcony.

The only drawback was the noise at night, which slowed down around 200am.

It is located in a very advantageous area for walking everywhere.

Just across the street is a nice little cafe that we ate at each morning.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WheresRowdy
Colombia
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We had a great experience at la casa Cuencana. the private room was very nice, big and clean with small kitchen on the 3rd floor of a building next door. All the staff was helpful. Thank you to Marta, the owner who made us feel like at home. She was always very keen on giving any information we needed to discover the city and the rest of the country. We forgot some important staff in the hostel and she was so kind to send them back to us in Guayaquil by bus without charging us anything. She definitely went out of her way.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Juan camilo S
Reviewed September 28, 2013

This hostel has a great location. Near the panama hat museum, near the big supermarket and down town in the old center. We stayed in a private room with a shared bathroom. This is the first negative point because there is only one bathroom including a toilet on the floor to serve (when it is full) at least 12 persons. You can imagine the line in the morning. This also wakes you up when there are early birds. It is a pretty noisy place in so you will here every footstep. The kitchen is badly equipped. Almost no plates or glasses and the pots are horrible to cook with. The owners try to make you feel home and are really helpfull which is a good thing. All in all a good and cheap option to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for the 5 people dorm with the own bathroom if you want to sleep in a dorm