“A good place to stay”

Ranked #10 of 71 Specialty Lodging in Cuenca
Cuenca, Ecuador
“A good place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2012

I've stayed at Casa Cuencana three times now and it is definitely a good option for the price. The showers get really hot, the kitchen is clean and convenient, comfortable beds, and a friendly helpful staff. They even went above and beyond the call of duty and helped me to receive a package using their address. Such nice people there. In total I stayed there for over a month during my time in Cuenca and it really began to feel like home.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Lima, Peru
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012

I arrived there at night without any reservation. The son of the owner was nice and offered me a bed in a dorm for 4 people and he assured me twice that the dorm was only for girls. I dont really care about that, but he repeated it twice. And when I checked in I wanted to make a reservation until sunday. He told me I dont need to do a reservation so I can stay as long I want. They dont do reservations he told me. Next morning the girls dorm turned to be a mixed dorm. They put the stuff from a friend in the next dorm in my room without asking him or informing him because the room was reserved for other people, a couple. So he was kicked out of course with two people in a private room you earn more money than one person in a dorm. "you don't touch people's stuff without their permission''. So the dorm was now a mixed dorm. Maybe there are people who might care about it if its mixed or separated. One thing came to another In the afternoon the owner came to my room and she asked me if I really wanna stay until sunday. And I answered yes like I did in the beginning. But she told me that I have to check out on Saturday because a group of 4 people are coming and she needs the room. I asked her if this room is not a dorm?!?!?! then she asked me''what a dorm ??? no thats not a dorm thats a room for groups''. I got really pissed first it was a girls dorm than a mixed than at the end it wasnt even a dorm, so I was kicked out. She told me there is a private room for 16 Dollar if I want!!! or there are other hostels as well where I can go. So literally she kicked me out because I complained. UNBELIEVABLE. In the morning at 8am she came in to my room and asked me to go. I have been travelling since years and I always stayed in hostels never had this experience before. I was so angry so I packed my stuff and left my backpack in the lobby and went down to do my laundry next door. She asked me for the keys I told her I need them for 5 minutes she didnt care. So my friends gave me their keys. Unfortunately she came to change money there as well and of course saw the keys in my hand so she grabbed for it... Then I tried to explain that these are my friends keys. when I get back to the hostel to get my backpack my friends were also kicked out (they had a private room). at the end she didnt even say goodbye...you dont treat people like that...and there was 1 yes ONLY 1 bathroom for 14 people!!!! and there is no wifi! they tell you that they have but you have to go to the other building or use the public one in cuenca or in cafes!!! just unbelievable...

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Julia_Maria_13
Prescott, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

I picked this hostal months before my arrival due to the few, but positive, reviews in TripAdvisor. When I confirmed my pending arrival 5 days before (per their request), I never got a response to my email. I then arrived at 3:00 AM, and was very happy when the owner/manager responded to multiple doorbell rings by the taxi driver, and sleepily came to open the door and let me in; after travelling 20 hours straight, I was very relieved to be given a room in the middle of the night having just arrived in a strange city. However, they could not find my reservation.

I guess since I had contacted them months before, and because I told them I might stay as much as a month, I expected slightly better accommodations. But the room was just average, and unfortunately the toilet backed up the first and only time I used it. As I result, when I woke up I decided to accelerate my search for a local apartment ... and in fact, went out and found one that morning. I probably overpaid for the apartment that I would spend the next 3 months in, but I did not feel like spending any more time at the hostal not knowing what my experience would be. The other thing is that I had arrived to teach English for a 3-month cycle, and teacher preparations were beginning immediately, and I needed a work desk which my hostal room did not have.

As a result, that afternoon I went back to the hostal to pay for the one night and retrieve my suitcases, and they still could not find my reservation. I left, and that was the end of my stay. The people seemed friendly, and I think they worked on the toilet that morning, and I do appreciate them getting up in the middle of the night to let me in, but I expect that this hostal is not much different than the dozens of other hostals in the city, some people will hit it just right and be pleased with their stay while others will be not so thrilled.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Fotopala
Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

We stayed three nights at the Casa Cuenca and it was very nice. we had 5 of us and originally had organized to have a triple and a double. Upon arriving, we were basically given the top two floors to use and as such we were actually able to split out into 2 doubles and one single. The beds were nice, firm and had the seemingly standard Ecuadorian heavy wool blanket on top... nice and warm at night. The feeling to the place was more like staying in a large home.

We arrived late on our first night and had been concerned by the fact that we couldn't reserve by paying so weren't sure if our rooms would still be held. Last minute email when we transferred from Baltra confirmed that they would indeed hold the reservation for us.

The manager had limited English but her son spoke it well and was a great interpreter for her. She directed us to good restaurants, called taxis and even lent us an umbrella when we headed out. On our second day, she even came by and gave us some fresh picked apples!

The proximity to Calle Larga meant that there was some noise on the Saturday night, but not so much that you'd lose sleep.

All in all a very good value for the money and a nice place to come back to at the end of a day tooling around Cuenca.

Room Tip: The top floor room bathroom is across a patio area from the room... may not be so desireable when ti...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank DragonSpeed
Arequipa, Peru
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

There are 2 hostel buildings under Casa Cuencana. The one with the actual sign "La Casa Cuencana" has dorm rooms while the other one located about 7m next to it only has private rooms. I only stayed in the dorm rooms so I can only speak for this section of Casa Cuencana.

The rooms are clean and maintained well. I stayed in a 3 bed dorm for 3 nights and was shuffled to another dorm room with 4 beds. My stuff was moved without even being informed; I was not asked at all to move (I would have gladly moved if asked). I came back one day and saw that my backpack and all my items from the previous dorm had been chucked into another room messily. This is something that I cannot tolerate and spoiled the experience for me. I was told that there was a reservation in my original dorm but to me was not acceptable as they should have just told me beforehand, or rejected the reservation, or split the reservation group into different dorms.

Also, there was no wifi so I had to use the wifi in the building where there are private rooms.

Finally, some guests were asked to leave due to other reservations. This is bad organization.

Room Tip: Stay in the other building with private rooms
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Ivan C
Vilnius, Lithuania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2012

Good location, good value, friendly owners. The kitchen could be better equipped though! Apart from that - perfect.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank donciavas
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

Martha runs a very nice little hotel. She is both very friendly and very helpful. When we asked for some extra pillows we had them immediately. The hostal is also off the main road and therefore fairly quiet.
Great location, with easy walking to all the main points of interest in the old city. (10 min. walk to Central Plaza). Across the street is "Bananas" where you will get a very nice breakfast for $2 or $3 dollars. Or walk around the corner to "The Coffee Tree" if you want more choices for $5 or $6 dollars....
Plenty of hot water and a nice kitchen area where we met and spoke with many travelers. There was a slight "sewer gas" odor in the bathroom---but we simply kept the bathroom door closed and it never bothered us. Considering the cost of other hotels in Cuenca this is certainly a very good deal. We would stay here again....

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family