“Unfortunately an epic fail on San Francisco Sourdough”

Altisimo Chocolate, Coffee & Bistro
Ranked #2 of 17 Dessert in Cuenca
Description: Altisimo Chocolate, Coffee & Bistro is a small batch artisanal chocolate maker specializing in gourmet chocolate, confections, desserts and "Michelin Star Quality" gourmet food, drinks, etc. We use the finest heirloom and single estate cacao beans and the best farm-to-table ingredients available to provide you with the most delicious products, and an amazing culinary experience. We have a wide selection of quality chocolate, products, desserts and food. We’re sure you’ll just love our new shop, bistro and outdoor patio. Stop by and a taste the experience! This is truly a must see world destination... Come see us in Cuenca, Ecuador. Located at Gran Columbia 8-86 y Benigno Malo. 1 block north of Parque Calderon ( -2.895763, -79.004461)
Reviewed April 30, 2019

I should have known better. As I wandered in to just see what was there, I saw they advertised sourdough bread made with a starter brought from San Francisco. I know enough to not expect the same taste as my home city due to the change in climate changing the bacteria and not to mention baking in a different climate and elevation. But, regardless, some good sourdough would be most welcome.

After excited slicing some up, I noticed an immediate lack of sour smell. That sensation remained after toasting. I had some toasted and not toasted, with and without butter. This just ain't sourdough bread, sorry. In fact, it's not even close.

It's bread and that's about it.

Reviewed April 17, 2019

A friend had a punch card with only 1 space left and gave it to me, so I decided to check it out. Cuenca is gradually getting more sophisticated restaurants/cafes such as this bistro which is very welcomed.

When I walked in, I immediately took in the ambiance and treats begging for my attention. I ordered an Americano plus a home made oatmeal raisin cookie and pecan tart. Above the counter were two large screens running a slideshow showcasing photos of the food they offer. Each was a work of art. Among the items in the display case for purchase were an array of chocolates and artesan bread. If you couldn't make up your mind, there was a tray of free bits of chocolate samples. The coffee was amazingly good (which I don't say very often) and the goodies very yummy..

I plopped into an eggplant/purple-colored wingback-like chair and relaxed, unrushed, watching the activity outside and simply soaking in the atmosphere. When I was done, I explored the interior further. In the adjacent room were welcoming sofas where you can kick back and chat with friends. The bathrooms were modern and very clean. Every table (even the bathroom) had a fresh single rose. They also have an outdoor courtyard in the center of the old colonial building with plenty of plants and places to sit.

Altisimo is located on Gran Columbia 8-86 right next to the tranvia which frequently glides by. It's upscale without being pricey or snobby...quite the opposite. Go check it out.

2  Thank danoinec
Reviewed April 16, 2019 via mobile

The owners and staff are passionate about the entire chocolate making process! We thoroughly enjoyed the tour of their place. We will have to try the restaurant next time

Reviewed April 15, 2019

The owners (who may swing by your table to chat, if they have time) are Farm to Table as much as they can. The 4 not 5 rating is because they are a bit more expensive than the norm here. A lunch selection may be $7 to $10. However... l go to my nearest Almuerzo place if I want m $3.50 chicken leg with menestra and white rice. I have a different favorite gringo restaurant if I want a good quality lunch plate for $6 to $7. My wife and I had lunch here for $25 that included ingredients I haven’t had in over the 3 years we’ve lived here. You must try the homemade gravlox that is made with local trout. That was special. I’ve heard people complain about the $25 chocolate bars. Really... a visit is worth even the story on where that bar came from and why it may have won international awards. If Passport Scotch is the same to you as a 16 year Lagavulin Islay and that’s how you view chocolate, keep moving along and buy that Pacari chocolate bar at Supermaxi. Otherwise, visit these guys to understand and try artisanal chocolate. Yea... I go back to ManiCho and Hershey’s. I also go back to Almuerzo Cuencana. But occasionally we go back to Altísimo when we want something special and different.

Date of visit: February 2019
Reviewed April 13, 2019 via mobile

This farm to table restaurant has great food for breakfast,lunch or drinks net. Also make their own high quality chocolate from heirloom cacao and have very good Ecuadorian coffee. Homemade sourdough bread is an added bonus. Muffuletta sandwich could hold its own in New Orleans with fresh made olive salad.

1  Thank Donna219