“Good food - lots of flavor”
Review of Tres Estrellas

Tres Estrellas
Ranked #30 of 724 Restaurants in Cuenca
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 30, 2019

After visiting the ruins and museum, we were hungry. Popped in without a reservation and caught the end of lunch rush - lucky us. The food was plentiful and very tasty. Quickly served as well. Attentive service and tasty beverages.

If you get a chance walk around and check out the myriad of antiques all over the place - a very eclectic and interesting collection of artifacts.

Date of visit: April 2019

Reviewed April 17, 2019

We wanted guinea pig, A must in South America. We showed up only to realize we needed reservations. They took us anyway, cooked out guinea pig and served. Severed with potatoes, salad , the best place in town for this wonderful treat.

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed March 16, 2019 via mobile

The cuy was excellent, better than the one I had in Quito. I really enjoyed the dessert (cocco pudding) but 5 dollars for a beer is a bit expensive

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed October 31, 2018

I had read that Tres Estrellas is the best place to order "cuy" (guinea pig) and was determined to try it. The restaurant was full of locals - but my friend and I were graciously welcomed. One order of cuy can be split between two people. And, as we were told that it would take one hour to prepare our order, we decided to order drinks and split an appetizer. We opted for the Mode Sucio which is corn (actually more like hominy) with fried bits of pork. Most of the locals were drinking aguardiente - but I opted to try a couple of glasses of wine which were not very good. Probably beer or aguardiente is your best bet here.

As for the cuy - when it came we were told to eat it with our hands, and that the skin is the best part. Yes it does taste like chicken and is a big greasy. As for eating the skin, It has a loud "crunch" and was a bit tough for my taste. And I tried not to focus on the little head of the animal that also accompanies your plate of cuy.

Like I said, it was an experience - and I'm glad I tried it.

For the dessert - try the higos con queso (figs with cheese). It is a typical Ecuadorian dessert and delicious at this restaurant.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed October 2, 2018 via mobile

As I walked through the door I was surprised by the decor. Amazing! Our table was ready, and our order was quickly taken. We ordered cuy, the local Guinea pig. These are prepared over red-hot coals and take at least a half hour. Other dishes came, as did our drinks. Service was truly swift and efficient. Some ordered other main dishes and these were served along with the perfectly prepared cuy.
A fantastic evening, well worth repeating.

Date of visit: October 2018