“Outstanding Seafood!”
Review of Capitan

Capitan
Ranked #18 of 724 Restaurants in Cuenca
Reviewed May 17, 2019

A friend invited me to lunch at Capitan and I was totally amazed at the friendly service, expertly prepared corvina ajillo by Chef Orly, and the family atmosphere. Chef Orly, his wife Julia, and their two daughters have created a one of a kind restaurant in Cuenca that is sure to capture your heart and your stomach. I actually let out a gasp when my sea bass was presented because I simply couldn't believe it. This was by far the best corvina ajillo that I've ever tasted. Chef Orly was trained in some of the best restaurants in the States and so your experience will be five-star all the way. If you're expecting the best food that you've ever tasted, then you won't be disappointed! How refreshing to feel like family, have the tastiest food in Cuenca, and feel like you dined in a Michelin star restaurant. Be sure to make reservations as this is a small place and the word is spreading like wildfire: This is the #1 restaurant in Cuenca.

2  Thank DooDahDay101

Reviewed May 17, 2019 via mobile

My husband, cousin and his wife and I ate here for lunch today. It was some of the best seafood I have ever eaten and definitely the best in Cuenca. I had sea bass with shrimp. My husband had salmon. The owner/cook showed us the beautiful fresh fish before cooking. This is a VERY very small restaurant maybe 6 tables. I would definitely recommend reservations. We ate an early lunch but it stayed full. This is a family run business.You feel like you are eating in someone's home. If you are in Cuenca do not miss this restaurant.

3  Thank TennieS
Reviewed May 12, 2019

We discovered this small intimate eatery purely by accident, and after our dining experience were very surprised to find on Trip Advisor its meteoric rise to # 1 Restaurant in Cuenca. The long string of 5 * ratings is well deserved.

Located in a commercial area on the east side of the central historic district near San Blas Plaza this quaint, unpretentious, family run restaurant is a hidden gem serving fresh seafood with an exquisite Manabi coastal flair. Having lived in this area of the coast, we can attest fresh quality seafood is important, but detailed and loving preparation is equally important. Chef Orly has been professional trained, and he and his wife Julia provide warm hospitality to their guests.
Our corvina in salsa de marisco and camarones was well presented and delicious. Cerviche appetizers and fresh juices rounded out our dining experience. The infamous “ chocolate cake “ tasting will have to wait until next time as we were full.
We will return to try the langostinos, salmon, encocado, and calamari !

Date of visit: April 2019
1  Thank global3adventure
Reviewed May 7, 2019

My wife and I came across this restaurant through Google search while looking for seafood with good reviews nearby. We walked around 1 kilometer to get there and when we went inside we were the only ones there for lunch and we thought the restaurant was very small. We did not know what to expect but boy were were in for a great experience in the hands of Orly and his wife Julia. This is a fantastic couple who likes to provide the best service with high caliber food. We travel a lot in different countries and have not seen food this good anywhere we go. It is fresh, tasty, and juicy. Orly comes to take the order and explain things to you. He also spends time answering questions and talking about other stuff like local things, culture, Ecuatorian issues, etc. Then he puts on his hat and goes to the kitchen to cook the best food ever. We were amazed and sad that we could only go there 2 times after our 6 days stay in Cuenca. Unfortunately, we only found this place in the second half of our stay in Cuenca and there was a holiday right in the middle, otherwise we would have gone every day. Orly is the type of Chef that I would bring with me in my jet if I were a millionaire and had money to spend bringing people along with us in our trips. I hope to come back to Cuenca one day and see Orly, Julia, and their family. I can't forget to say that their 13 year old daughter draws the most beautiful anime pictures we have ever seen. All from scratch. Amazing artist. Please do yourself a favor and visit Orly and Julie and as you eat, talk about Ecuador, Cuenca, the coast, food, where to find fresh food, etc, etc, etc.... Finally, don't leave without eating their mouth watering chocolate cake. Once again, the cake was the best one we ever ever ever ever ate. Congratulations for having such perfect hands and hearts.

4  Thank Solon P
Reviewed May 7, 2019

Great place to meet friends for a casual meal. Delicious specials ! Wine and beer sold.Seafood is awesome, but my husband also loves the steak. Lovely people own it and it is very clean.

Date of visit: April 2019