“Beautiful intro to Cuenca...Casa Ordonez”
Review of Casa Ordonez

Casa Ordonez
Ranked #1 of 79 Cuenca B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 9, 2013

What can we say that hasn't already been said (written), about this great place. Casa Ordonez is as fine a place as we have ever stayed in our travels around the world. Alberto and family are there to meet your every need and they know the town like the back of their hands. A truly family business that is well respected in the Cuenca community (everyone knows Alberto!). This wonderful house is safe, quiet, clean, and beautifully decorated in an authentically "Cuencan" manner -- as well as being centrally located near Parque Calderon (the main plaza). Muchas gracias Alberto, we loved our time in your amazing city.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Wow! There are so many good things to say about Casa Ordonez!

I'm wrapping up the Cuenca part of my visit and on the way to Salinas, so here's a quick review:

First, the scheduling and response to emails is excellent. For someone coming to Ecuador for the first time this is so important, and I was surprised at how many places either don't reply to emails or don't answer follow-up questions. Diana always replied the same day or the next and I felt that I was in very good hands.

The service is first class, the internet works just as well (if not better!) than what I have in the States, and everybody is very accommodating. Staying at the Casa Ordoniz is like staying in an old Spanish mansion - wooden floors, old key locks, high ceilings

The location in the center of Cuenca is fantastic, and it's very easy to walk most anywhere. There are shops and restaurants on every block, and a tour of the City can be arranged - something I highly recommend if this is a first time visiting Cuenca. Two blocks from the hotel down Malo Avenue is the main square, and another few minutes walk will take you to Calle Larga, a hot spot filled with restaurants and bars, and then to the River (Rio Tomebamba).

A must-visit if you like music is the Jazz Society Cafe located in Nectar. It's located on Malo Avenue just around the corner from Casa Ordonez. I'm told this is the only jazz club in Cuenca. It has a small, intimate atmosphere - with somewhat erratic food service - but the ambiance makes up for everything. This is where I discovered that everybody knows Roberto and has very good things to say about this guy.

Who is Roberto? He's one of the owners of Casa Ordonez and really helps to give the hotel a 5 star rating. He is the go-to guy that can make tour and restaurant recommendations and will do whatever he can to make your stay the best that it can be. He is a straight shooter and my experience is that you can trust what he tells you.

If you're on your first fact-finding visit to Cuenca I highly recommend the Casa Ordonez for all of these reasons.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank JSRPhx
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Casa Ordonez is owned, operated by the Ordonez Family in Cuenca. Alberto is the manager & pricipal owner. His sister Inez works there and his mother lives there. A sister takes care of the bookings in Miami. My wife and I cannot say enough about the family and the excellent services provided. Alberto is always there willing to accomodate in any way possible, whether it be recommended nearby restaurants, tours, local attractions, purchase of cell phone etc.etc. Rooms are very clean, lots of hot water, very good breakfasts. Service is their # 1 priority. This Casa is best for adults. The whole building is an experience with much history, antiques & wonderful stories as told by Alberto. My wife & I highly recommend this place and we plan to return very soon.

Ed & Lynne Nadeau
Montreal, Canada

Room Tip: We had ground floor as there is no elevator however there are only 2 floors so not much of a hardshi...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Edouard N
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Back in February 2013, my wife and I left a very cold winter in Canada to arrive to a warm welcome at Casa Ordoñez. The house, which is centrally located, is beautiful, very clean and quiet. Since we arrived we felt at home, safe and well attended by the family and the staff.
We will never forget the 10 days we stayed in Casa Ordoñez. Alberto, the host, was incredibly helpful by arranging a tour to the city, facilitating also the visit of a couple of apartments for rent, so we could have an idea of different locations and their cost.
We are planning to go back at the end of the year and stay in Cuenca for a few months.
Alberto’s mother, Sra Luzmila, was very kind preparing special food for us since we arrived with some stomach problems.
The breakfast, which was included, was delicious, fresh fruit and juice, yogurt, eggs and the best coffee in Cuenca. Maria Ines made the arrangements so we could bring the same coffee back to Canada.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marhinval
Reviewed April 1, 2013

From Perth in Western Australia to Cuenca is a long way. I was traveling alone on a reconnaissance trip with a view to retiring there with hubby later this year. I had left my booking until the last minute (silly) and was fortunate to find anything available at all because it was (unbeknown to me) Carnival - festival time, when the locals take holidays and go a little ‘loco’ too. Fortunately, Mio Tours arranged a room for me at Casa-Ordonez; it was exactly what I needed. It is a centrally located historic homestead, a healthy walk and close to everything you turn your mind to. I did not hear an outside noise at all through the thick walls despite it being Carnival & with busy business days following. The bed was delightfully comfortable (not too soft –not too hard), linen was crispy clean, fresh roses in the room, various pillows to choose from, old but functional furniture, small spotlessly clean bathroom, you can drink the tap water (new plumbing), hot water arrives in a few minutes for a great shower, beautifully polished timber floors which creak to make you aware of your impact on others but everyone respects and enjoys the wonderfully quiet atmosphere. The free Wi-Fi Internet is brilliant and reliable so I could trade shares and make quiet Skype calls in my room on a 12hour time difference. Breakfast is included and the only meal available on site; it is healthy, local, fresh produce and really just what you need to start your day and is lovingly prepared by Alberto the extraordinary host. I felt safe and secure and knew that someone was watching out for me at any time of day with my key ready to hand to me when I walked in. The staff is respectful, well mannered, attentive and extremely helpful and if you need a hair dryer or anything else within reason, just ask. Therei s a small bar and there are lots of quiet places around the hostal to sit and relax, read and enjoy the old world ambiance. This establishment is a credit to Alberto and his sister Maria with mother Ludmilla who are proud of their heritage and the restoration work. Alberto is the font of all knowledge ‘Cuencan’, an unassuming caring person who will make your stay very enjoyable and go the extra mile to assist you in many ways. He can access or provide all manner of local contacts for now and the future. We will be back! In fact we have booked our ‘exit’ Australia one-way flight to Ecuador already and arrive in Cuenca in the first week in November to start our new life adventure – we can hardly believe it….and neither can our family! Thanks Alberto, Maria and team for making a lasting impression. Now to Spanish lessons!

Room Tip: All the rooms are different configurations and size, so make your needs clear.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Jan S
Reviewed March 25, 2013

The moment you set foot in the door you will be impressed by the lovely 2 storey interior courtyard filled with charm and a peaceful ambiance, tucked away from the hustle and bustle.
We received a warm welcome from Alberto and his sister Maria with offers of help for anything
that we might need on our stay. We had a very nice smallish room The Carmen, tucked away at the back of the hotel, it has a lovely little sitting area that we enjoyed. There is also a very nice
2nd floor lounge with a glass ceiling and fireplace. The breakfast was excellent, yougurt, granola,
choice of breads and eggs, fruit plate, coffee and the most lovely blackberry tea. You can't go wrong, the price is very fair and the hospitality exceptional. .

Room Tip: The Carmen at the back on the 2nd floor was very quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank saltandsea
Reviewed March 16, 2013

If you want an amazing experience while visiting Cuenca, Ecuador, you must stay at Casa Ordonez. This hotel is 123 years old and has been owned by the Ordonez family for over 100 years. It is managed by Alberto Ordonez and his family. His Mother personally gave me a tour of the facilities upon our arrival. The staff is absolutely unbelievable and the most polite and respectful people I have ever encountered at a hotel. The breakfast that is included includes hot delicious coffee, yogurt, eggs to order, your choice of bread, a fresh fruit plate and juice. Fresh flowers are in every room as well as throughout the hotel. My wife developed some stomach problems from a meal in Salinas and the altitude. Alberto and his family provided home-made chicken soup and hot herbal tea as well as a prescription from the local farmacia. In one day, she was ready to go. I will never stay anyplace else when visiting Cuenca.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family