“Wonderful experience at Zazu”
Review of Zazu

Zazu
Reserve with OpenTable
Zazu is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 1,552 Restaurants in Quito
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We had a wonderful evening at Zazu. Our group of 8 had just completed a five day tour of the Galapagos. We were exhausted and just wanted to have a delicious meal and celebrate our last evening in Ecuador. We definitely got more than we expected. The ambiance was upscale, but not pretentious. It was modern, yet comfortable. The menu was huge. Everything sounded wonderful. As it turns out, it was. Everyone in our party ordered appetizers and a main course. Each of us was more than pleased. We were totally satisfied when the dessert tray came out. It was a sampling of 7 or 8 small wonderful delicacies. Our host, Jan was warm and engaging. The service was excellent. Overall our experience was wonderful.

2  Thank Moldauer
Write a ReviewReviews (1,680)

Reviewed January 18, 2013

A friend who was in Quito in November raved about Zazu. Our last night in Ecuador my friends and I went to dinner. We had ceviche to start. The presentation was lovely and the food delightful. After being on an adventure group tour in which our food was good but regulated, it was a sinful delight to have the staff keep bringing us yummy rolls and bread until we had to say no. The prices were very reasonable. Our entrees were incredible and we ordered dessert not because we were still hungry but because we could. I did use my credit card and it wasn't gone long at all. I will, of course, check my bill carefully but I did not have the impression anything untoward was occurring. Our waiter not only called a cab for us at the end of the meal but walked us out of the restaurant to make sure the cab came. There is good reason why Zazu is number one on this site.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

My gf and I ordered the chef´s tasting menu after reading the reviews here. Its not on the menu so you have to ask for it and we were glad we did. The restaurant itself is a bit tough to find and is hidden on a side street, not close to any major sights. Our cab driver did not know where it was so I had to give him directions and luckily I looked on the map before I went. Its located on a one way street which made it a bit tougher to get to. The decor inside was okay, not super trendy but comfortable. It didn´t actually feel like one of the best restaurants I´ve been to but the food definitely was. And their wine list is amazing! The service was great and very attentive. Their complementary bread was very tasty as well, it was a basket of various types of bakeries, we even asked for seconds.

Damage for our amazing meal was $150 for 2 chef´s tasting menus ($40/piece), a bottle of wine ($35) + 10% mandatory service charge + 12% tax + $10 extra tip we added. I bet I would have paid 2x back in the states. We made a reservation (online) a few days earlier for a friday night 8pm reservation and when we showed up it was almost empty but by 8:30pm it was full.

2  Thank el_cap
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Having recently dined at Zazu, I'd confirm the comments of others in as much as my wife and I enjoyed the food very much. However,the evening was ruined when the time came to pay - the waiter grabbed my credit card and the bill from the table and ran off around the corner with it. I asked two other waiters to retrieve it but no great urgency was shown. The card was out of my sight for minutes (with the obvious potential problem of cloning), then the card reappeared with a credit card slip banged on the table in front of me.
As a consequence I've had to 'phone the UK and stop the card, which means the two of us will need to hang around our hotel in the city we fly to tomorrow, to await the forwarding of a new card with all the attendant hassle.
I'd only advise that, if you don't want to waste your holiday in this way, take only cash to pay Zazu. For the record, our bill was $102 for a 3-course meal with 2 Piscos and a glass of wine.

4  Thank Howard B
JNiedrau, General Manager at Zazu, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Dear Villabloke,
thanks a lot for your review. I am happy that you enjoyed the food.
I know that in Europe credit cards are processed at your table in most occasions.
Same as in the US and many other places in world our system is set up differently.
We process our credit card transactions at the cashier's desk in the office.
However, we are working on a wireless solution and will implement it shortly.
We have not had a single case of "cloning" in our seven years of operation.
Best,
Jan Niedrau

Reviewed January 15, 2013

We went with 3 other couples and had a wonderful dining experience. The food was delicious and creative, the presentation was beautiful and the service was excellent. We all left on our final night in Quito talking about what a perfect evening we had had.

1  Thank 333terry