“Great relaxing vacation”

and 1 more site!
Hotel San Francisco de Quito
Ranked #47 of 116 Hotels in Quito
Reviewed December 27, 2010

The hotel is in the heart of the historic center and is easily accessible by both taxi and bus. Everything is close by including many churches and parks. The suite we had was amazing and was off the street so we didn't hear any noise. It was a large room with beautiful decorations but no heat. There was a microwave and mini fridge. The breakfast was simple but good every morning in the downstairs cafe. The service was fabulous and it was very safe. I would stay again for the price and location.

• Stayed: December 2010

Reviewed November 15, 2010

We stayed three nights at this hotel but spread over a week. They were great about storing our luggage and taking messages for us, and we got the same room each time we returned. There was free internet access, and a basic breakfast (eggs, bread, jam and coffee) was included in the price. We normally backpack, so it was a bit more expensive than we would usually pay, but we found it comfortable and convenient. The batroom was pretty tiny, but clean and functional. Friends staying in a different room found it quite noisy (creaking floorboards, barking dogs) but we had no problems at all, and the guy at reception was really helpful.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 12, 2010

The central light-filled courtyard with plants and a fountain greet you on arrival with the hotel entry up a single flight of stairs. Reception staff was extremely helpful on several occasions and the availability of luggage storage is a huge perk, though most hotels do offer this service since travel to the Galapagos Islands or the Jungle often requires limited baggage. The free internet in a comfortable lounge area just beyond recption was very useful as was the huge map of Quito on the wall and the table, chairs and nicely upholstered couch. The room I was in was comfortable with a full bath and small built in desk where electrical outlets were conveniently located for recharging batteries. The hardwood floors added much charm and also contributed to a slightly noisy environment but that's why I travel with earplugs. The Hotel San Francisco is not the cheapest option but well worth the extra $5 for the clean, bright and welcoming space. It's location in the Districto Historico was ideal for walking around Old Town as well as for day/side trips. I would definitely stay here again. For the 2nd part of my stay in Quito, I chose to stay in a slightly less expensive hotel in La Mariscal, an area with an active
nightlife and lots of tourist hotels, hence the nickname Gringoland. I much prefered the Old Town ambiance and the convenience of the location to the places I wanted to visit.. Oh and there's an "American-style" breakfast of eggs and rolls and wonderful fresh fruit juice. This style breakfast is easily found all over Quito and especially near tourist areas.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank phototogo
Reviewed September 10, 2010

Breakfast room charming, brick on ground floor, not in basement, staff very helpful to two older travellers who spoke little Spanish. Managed to get eggs soft boiled, many refills of cocoa without problem or English. Yes, rolls hard, cold, what do you expect for very cheap rates in old town? Desk staff ran to carry luggage up and down two of the three times we checked in. Only had to pantomime for help, such as when I broke glass and needed it swept up, to have instant service.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 3, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel in the historic part of Quito for seven days. I made the reservations through a separate website five months prior (www.hostelworld.com), and luckily I called before we arrived to confirm the reservations because Hostel World never told them about my reservation despite my paying 10% down. Despite this, they were able to get us in, and apologized for the inconvenience.

Because my boyfriend and I did our homework before we got down there, we already knew about the lovely rooftop access (found out about it on Trip Advisor - thanks!). The breakfast, which came with the cost of the room (extremely cheap), was quite adequate every day, and the persons serving the breakfast were more than adequate as well. What you get with the cost of your room is eggs, rolls with butter and jam, coffee and juice. If you want something else I'm sure you can ask but we never needed anything more than that.

The room itself was adequate, but nothing special. For the cost of the room, it was what we expected - a place to sleep. The bathroom could have used washcloths, but it didn't bother us. One caveat, however, is that the rooms do not have windows; only the doors themselves and the doors are as opposite to soundproof as you can get, so BRING EARPLUGS.

The hotel itself, however, the courtyard and the rest of the hotel, however, was absolutely beautiful. A 17th century house converted to a hotel, with a lovely courtyard in the middle, including a fountain on the ground floor. A locked gate where the clerk must buzz you in, which is nice especially after dark, and the first floor is where the clerk is and some of the rooms. There is also a TV room with a computer that is available for guests, but there was always someone using it so we just went to an internet cafe and used a computer for 80 cents an hour (we found one within 2-3 blocks).

Many museums, churches, other historical items of interest are within walking distance, and taxis are quite reasonable. There is a store next door with food and other items.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brig641
Reviewed August 26, 2010

I spent 5 nights at this hotel and just checked out yesterday. The older traveller needs to know you must get your luggage up several flights of stairs. I had to go up one flight to the lobby and then one to the room. The "kitchenette" included no dish soap or towels like all the other kitchenettes I had on this trip. I'm a trooper and used the bars of bath soap and asked for a bath towel from the reception desk. As in many places in Ecuador, I sensed that the hotel workers were extremely reserved. I am a Spanish teacher and let's just say that even with that as a help in communicating, answers to any questions at the reception desk were matter-of-fact and short. When the wifi cut out at 10.30 pm the night staff had no idea how to help or find out if it were a problem with the provider; I was in mid phone conversation with my sister for her birthday when it cut it. 5 minutes later the employee was asleep on the sofa in the dark. The only real BAD negative I noticed at the hotel was the breakfast. You receive a voucher at the reception and go down one level to a vaulted brick wine cellar atmosphere. It is sterile and cold and the help is young and TOTALLY disinterested in the customers. The Dutch couple I met commented on the same thing. The breakfast staff seems like robots and totally lethargic- come to the table, ask fried or scrambled eggs, return with it. If you asked for a coffee you get one and don't even think they'll consider asking if you need anything else! A plate of 3 small rolls comes and they are so crumbly you can't get the butter on them. They are the consistency of something out of a bag and with a bit of finger work can be turned right back into dough. A small dish comes with a round ball of butter that rolls around the plate and a tiny blob of jam. It was enough for one the 3 rolls on two of my 5 mornings. Well, four mornings, that is,...on my final morning I didn't even bother to go. In addition, you are literally invisible to the girls doing the breakfast. My first morning was the worst- the two girls chatted and laughed loudly with a man who stopped by and it was if I weren't even there. There was only one other person in the room, so a "how's it going, need anything?" would have been simple. NOTHING WAS EXPLAINED- only by reading a commentary left Aug 16th did I realize that they had joghurt or granola. "Don't ask, don't tell" kind of policy on food. In short, average comfort, abysmal service at breakfast, and average help at reception. Cleaning lady on mornings near my room was helpful and really the only individual who seemed to have a smile and a personality. NOBODY WILL TELL YOU, but there is a fantastic 5th floor rooftop deck. It has a small table with a few chairs and a spectacular view of the city. I found it by going up and up the stairs due to some fireworks going on. There are so many small hotels in the area that there just must be one that has the same comfort with a nicer breakfast and breakfast staff who seem to care and even realize their duties go beyond plunking that dish of a TINY portion of sloppy scrambled egg on the table. When you do manage to connect to wifi in the room, the connection is constantly lost. It is not strong enough to use skype or yahoo messenger. I always hauled my laptop downstairs. At 10.30 pm it shuts off automatically in the lobby, where there is wifi and one computer.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Very good hotel in the heart of Quito, clean and charming (the historic building is really nice; of course it has no lift, that could be a problem for someone). My husband and I stayed there twice: before and after our trip to Amazonia (they kept our extra-luggage in the meantime). Both times we had a mini-suite, with a kitchen that we didn't use. Unfortunately the second time we had a bathroom without window (the only air-exchange was with the bedroom!) The breakfast was not satisfactory at all: it's served in a cold "cellar" at the ground floor (even the bread was cold!) and the quality of service is lower than the hotel (scrambled eggs not well done; yoghurt , fruit and cereals available on a shelf as if they should be left "untouched" - you have to ask for a bowl if you really want to take them...) For this reason we gave up the breakfast at the hotel, even if it was included: cheap and good coffee-shops are easily available in the surroundings.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple