“If in Quito, stay colonial”

Hotel San Francisco de Quito
Ranked #42 of 112 Hotels in Quito
Reviewed March 19, 2014

I am from Ecuador but now living abroad, however when I go to visit Quito, I make sure I get the most of it, especially since Quito is has a very beautiful colonial site.

Hotel San Francisco is one of the few places I can say that is good for many reasons, located right in the heart of Colonial Quito, from there you can walk just about every Church, museum and even the famous street call La Ronda where you can find lots of restaurants and bars full of live music and typical food and drinks from the area.

Another reason I like is the price, perfect for any budget, especially when I am taking friends there, this hotel offers great room layouts perfect for sharing rooms and keeping your privacy.

To me, it is like staying at a family's home, and the building itself, it preserves the history and the beauty that makes Colonial Quito a magical place.

If in Quito, I recommend San Francisco...hope to be back soon.

Room Tip: Perfect for friends sharing a bedroom, great room layouts.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sonia V
There are newer reviews for Hotel San Francisco de Quito

Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

We spent several nights and enjoyed the experience. We arrived after dark into UIO and had prearranged for a hotel pickup from the airport to the hotel. The airport pickup was the best $55 bucks I have recently spent and recommend other travelers consider this option regardless of arrival time. Our room (32) was on their top level and had a great view. The staff did warn us there was no elevator and we did not fully take into account the effects of 5 flights of stairs and an altitude of 9000+ feet. If not in the best of shape I recommend traveller's consider lower level rooms. The front desk staff are bilingual. Javier was most helpful in helping us arrange our visit.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John D
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Room was clean and off main central area. Central area was the key attraction as well as an upper atrium. Breakfast was simple continental. Staff helpful. Discount for cash. Grocery next door for snacks, drinks, etc. Restaurants galore nearby.

Room Tip: Trouble climbing stairs? Ask for ground floor room. off reception. Very convenient.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Stayed at Hotel San Francisco with a school group. Was very quaint and lovely, giving you the real feel of Old Quito.
The Courtyard in the middle of the rooms made you feel immersed with nature and ecuadorian culture.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 9, 2014

This hotel is located in a great spot in historical downtown Quito. It also has a roof top with a great view of Quito. But most of the rooms have windows that open up to the inner court area that is noisy. The reception desk is downstairs and the phone or door bell ring all night long. I had to wear ear plugs every night. If you do have a window that opens to the outside it is noisy because of the traffic. The second night we arrived the front gate was lock so we had to ring the bell. The bell rang for 2 minutes before the front desk clerk let us in. That night they ran out of bottled water and it was too late to go to the store. Due to the high elevation it should be a high priority to insure the guests have water to drink. The first and last night we were there the desk clerk was very helpful but the second night the clerk was rude and refused to provide adequate service. The breakfast is ok but once again, depending on who is working the service can be poor. This hotel has such potential but until the noise issue is resolved and better staff training I would not recommend this place.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank tmdaok
Reviewed February 20, 2014

This hotel was not only beautiful but so affordable. I arrived late at night and the hotel staff was very prompt in getting me in my room. He took the time to walk me to my room and lef me in. I had a great night sleep waking up in the morning to a really nice FREE breakfast. The hotel staff also helped me find a taxi driver to take me to see Quito. I was there for only one day and didn't have time to wonder around and take the bus. The hotel staff also offered to be available to the taxi driver to answer questions because he only spoke spanish and I did not. I found the hotel staff so wonderful and helpful. The price quoted online was the price I paid. I love this place and have recommended it to all my airline co workers to go see Quito and stay at this hotel. Another advantage is it is right in the middle of Old Town.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 13, 2014

The hostel is in a great location to explore Old Town and New Town (not that there is much in New Town worth exploring...). The hostel in right on the San Francisco plaza which is the northeast corner of Old Town - basically right where New Town ends and Old Town begins. The rates were quite reasonable for private rooms I had no real complaints except shoddy WiFi connections and the beds were a bit stiff. The rooms were a bit cramped and could use some serious updating but the property itself is pretty cute and definitely has an "Old Town" feel and character. The water pressure was decent, hot water was available, and the rooms were clean.

In short: I'd highly recommend staying in Old Town vs. New Town / Mariscal District because it's more authentic and unless you're in Quito to party, everything worth seeing is in Old Town. With that in mind, I'd recommend this place based on its value and location. Not *the best* hostel ever but I doubt you'll leave unhappy.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo