All reviews mitad del mundo perched high potato soup every morning shrimp ceviche downtown quito king bed galapagos islands pululahua clouds ecuador airport mindo driver equator andes
Reviewed October 16, 2016

We stayed one night at the El Crater Hotel, at the conclusion of a 7-day Galapagos tour. Prior to that tour, we stayed in another hotel in Quito’s historic district. We must admit that the enjoyment of our stay was somewhat limited by a bit of altitude sickness after returning from a week a sea level. We should have starting taking our altitude sickness medication again before heading back to Quito.

El Crater is a unique property, built like a castle perched at the edge of a volcano. The views are incredible and unique. We would have liked to have spent more time exploring the immediate area, but the altitude was really taking its toll on us.

Beyond the incredible location, there are some limitations and drawbacks to the property. First of all, there are no employees who are fluent in the English language, making the hotel an awkward choice for guests who are not fluent in Spanish. This was made clear when our waiter took our dinner order, but then brought us out a single entree. The restaurant service was highly inattentive, perhaps because the waiter felt uncomfortable with the language barrier. Our room reservation was supposed to include a breakfast buffet, but the breakfast was not a buffet.

Our room, though spacious and offering a commanding view, had its limitations. It was cold, although we were brought additional blankets and another space heater. There were burned out light bulbs, but the response was a shrug of the shoulders. The door lock and key arrangement is VERY awkward. Perhaps most importantly, the acoustics in the hotel are terrible. If a television is on in any other room, if a conversation is taking place in any other room, or if a guest is using the bathroom in any other room, you will hear the noise.

On the grounds, in our room, and in common areas there are many examples of a lack of maintenance. Little things that are broken and waiting for repair. When we arrived at the hotel (in the dark and fog), our driver had a difficult time finding where to check in. Not only is there no conventional hotel lobby (only an office at the bar in the adjacent restaurant), but he was told that the sign had been taken down earlier that day (for repair or repainting) and had not beer replaced. Not a particularly smart decision.

Having stayed in two hotels over the course of two visits to Quito, El Crater – despite its unique characteristics – was our second choice. I really wanted to love this hotel, but I feel that it is not quite up to international standards.

• Stayed: October 2016, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peter_01039
Reviewed October 15, 2016

Absolutely loved this hotel. Views are incredible especially as you get to see the mist coming down the mountains every morning. The hotel staff are utmost kind and helpful, lead by Roberto who is clearly an excellent manager. Highly recommended!!!!

• Stayed: October 2016, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 15, 2016

I stayed at the El Crater on my final night in Ecuador. My main objective was to hike down the Pululahua Crater, and I really was just looking for place to spend the night that was close enough to the crater. When I stumbled across the El Crater Hotel, I was sold just based on its location (right on the crater). I did not really have any expectations other than a clean room and decent food. My room was clean, heated with a very comfortable bed. Roberto was very helpful. He ordered a cab to take me to Mita del Mundo and even the same cab driver pick me up. This was extremely helpful as I don't speak spanish. My cab driver picked me up and was kind enough to stop at street vendors so I could buy some fresh fruit and corn.
I hiked down the crater the next morning after a breakfast of fresh (sweet) fruit, tea and eggs. When I returned I had lunch and the staff cut up my fruit that I had bought the day before so I could take it with me. Francisco(he's the owner I think?) was at the bar as I was settling my bill and he made sure I got everything I need. I was given water, he offered coke, a sample of their amazing "flower" tea, and personally escorted to the cab that was to take me to the airport. I had been served an amazing tea at the Chocolate Factory in Mindo and really wanted to buy some to take home with me. Well Francisco gave me some of the tea they serve at El Crater, asked around and was told I could buy the tea in Quito. They then went the extra mile and asked the cab drive to take me to where I could buy the tea, she waited for me as I tried to find it and I did. The personalized service I got at El Crater was amazing.
As for the views, as other reviews have mentioned the pictures do not capture the beauty and serenity of the crater. Watching the clouds roll in, the crater, the resident Illamas amazing but my favorite images were of the sunrise.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a view of the crater if thats what you want.
  • Stayed: October 2016, traveled solo
1  Thank Newgal-reset
Reviewed September 1, 2016

My wife and I had an excellent time at El Crater. The room was clean and comfortable with a beautiful view of the valley below and the crater. It was very quiet there like you have gone back in time to the Incan era especially with the lawnmower being the llama.
I am a stoneworker so I really appreciated all the natural stonework on the premises.

• Stayed: July 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2016

Beautiful heated room, great bed with a small living room and terrace to enjoy the view of the crater, very clean. Service is a little slow but good nevertheless. The surroundings are beautiful too...

Stayed: April 2016