“Not worth the money”

Museo Manuela Saenz
Ranked #61 of 235 things to do in Quito
More attraction details
Owner description: This museum contains her history, paintings, stamps and personal effects of Manuela Saenz.
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Manuela Saenz is a fascinating woman with a fascinating story. Sadly, this pricey (as compared to other Quito attractions) museum is not fascinating. A lot of poorly documented dusty relics presented with no context whatsoever. Not worth the $4 entry fee. Better to Google her and appreciate her story and her role in Ecuadoran history that way.

3  Thank TransAmericas
There are newer reviews for Museo Manuela Saenz

Reviewed November 22, 2013

Loved the museum! Such an interesting and important women that history has almost overlooked due to her sex. (From her influential political activism, cross dressing, and fighting in battles, to leaving her husband in a time without divorce and becoming mistress/advisor to another married man) I'm pretty sure Manuela Saenz broke almost every conventional role for an aristocratic woman of her time.
My guide at the museum was extremely knowledgeable and quite articulate, and the paintings were surprisingly loaded with meaning. They also have a live-action movie about her life (maybe 50 min) which is not bad given the low budget production.
If it were not for my Spanish professor's recommendation, I would have missed this museum completely, which would have really been a shame.

1  Thank Elizabeth W
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I went to Ecuador researching Manuela Saenz for a play I am writing and I have to say that it was here with Ana Maria that I got most of my information. I was lucky that she was able to spare her day to take me around the whole place giving me a full explanation of Manuela's life. There were some beautiful relics (I especially liked Manuela's female riding saddle that had been adapted so she could ride like a man). I got to watch a movie about Manuela and a documentary about Bolivar that were both super helpful. We even went back the next day to get in some more.
To see her personal effects, really made her come alive as a character for me and it was a great help for my research. Wonderful spot - would definitely recommend to anyone visiting the magnificent city of Quito.

2  Thank tamsin C
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This is a very nice museum slightly off the beaten path in the centro historico. I would highly recommend making an appointment for a tour (telf, 2283908). The tour guide that I had was extremely knowledgable about the life and times of Manuela Saenz and Simon Bolivar and put their story in an engaging historical context that made it fun.

1  Thank KJpocaspalabras
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Great museum of a little known individual in history. Great staff.
It helps if you know a bit about her life before heading to the museum.
A great book in English is "For Glory and Bolívar: The Remarkable Life of Manuela Sáenz,"
by Pamela Murray.
It will help make you appreciate her role in history more. Enjoy

3  Thank Anthony706