“Very informative, interesting” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Museo Manuela Saenz

Museo Manuela Saenz
Ranked #60 of 201 things to do in Quito
More attraction details
Owner description: This museum contains her history, paintings, stamps and personal effects of Manuela Saenz.
Canada
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Very informative, interesting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2012

I did a report on her for university so was very excited when i found out there was a museum. It was more expensive than I was thinking, but my whole family thought itw as worth it! It doesn't only have information on 'La Libertadora del Libertador', btu also on Bolivar himself, other heros of the independence wars, a firearms collection, a money collection, and the list goes on. Our guide was amazing.

5 Thank Valenklein

Boston
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“A step back in time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2012

Our museum guide did a magnificent job of bringing to life an era of Latin American history that most North Americans know little to nothing about. Manuela Saenz seems to have been a most interesting woman. It's too bad the museum doesn't sell at least a little booklet about her life in English.

5 Thank BayStateFan
Quito, Ecuador
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Impressive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2012

I'm a student here in Quito and because of my study I was interested in this museum. I want to be a nacional tourguide in Ecuador and so this was very interesting.
I've been to several places (of course) but this was one of the best I've ever been. Well not one of the best, THE BEST. Not only because of the good explenation and the displays of all the things they have also because of the feeling that it gave to me afterwords. Not only left the museum with knowledge improved, I left the museum with a feeling, a kind of sympathy or admiration for Manuela and the others who were with here at that time. For me it is very important to have a certain feeling with the history of Ecuador because thats fundamental for my profesion... I can assure everyone that that is exactly what I got and needed.. Feel like I have visit an old friend.....

9 Thank Yvet V
Boston, Massachusetts
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great Guide”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2012

The guide was really great and taught me a lot about the revolutionary period that I was so ignorant about...all those powerful Manuelas and Ecuadorean women. The exhibits themselves are ho-hum.

7 Thank swaddell
vancouver
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Gem in the center of Quito”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2012

Although the building is not related to Manuela's life in any way, her belongings and the decoration of the museum are enough to trigger the visitor's imagination. At the entrance it is possible to see enlarged copies of a few of the most passionate letters Manuela and Bolivar exchanged. The museum's director has carefully studied most of the existing historic literature about Manuela Saenz, and it would be very hard to find a better interpreter of history than this Quiteña. Through her accounts of books, letters and paintings, one gets a sense of the circumstances that shaped Manuela’s personality and that determined her fate. But most importantly one senses the dimension of the strength, the character, the idealism of a universal woman that fought for freedom in one of the most repressive historic moments of the Americas. Manuela not only participated in actual combats against the Spaniards, and conspired with Simon Bolivar; she lived as a free woman. And that is a powerful legacy for women of Latin America and the world.

Visited January 2012