“Home away from home in Quito”
Review of Vieja Cuba

Vieja Cuba
Ranked #20 of 116 Hotels in Quito
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Over a period of 6 weeks travelling in Ecuador, we returned to the Hotel Vieja Cuba five times in between travelling to other parts of Ecuador. Each time we returned we were greeted with hugs and excitement and made to feel so welcome. Millie and all the team treated us like long lost family and patiently listened as we recounted all our adventures. Nothing was too much trouble and they kept our surplus luggage safely stored when we took off on each of our adventures. There is a lovely garden for sitting and chatting and plenty of restaurants in close walking distance. The breakfast is excellent with a wide variety of choices including fruit, cereal, cheese and eggs. There is free internet and a supermarket just a few minutes away. We would recommend this as THE place to stay in Quito. But be warned - if Millie finds out you are learning Spanish, she will make you speak Spanish ALL the time and won't answer if you try to sneak in a bit of English!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 9, 2011

I stayed 3 different nights here as my "jumping off" point in Quito. Pleasant appearance both outside and the rooms, good showers w/ hot water, close to airport (but not too close). I thought the room floors were quite dirty, though.

There is technically a restaurant, but very few items on menu are actually available, and no wine (which is also on menu). I was charged incorrectly one night due to miscommunication between "sales" and reception; also, they couldn't find my Orbitz reservation my first night and I had to get on computer and forward them the reservation. These reasons are why my opinion is "pleasant but inconsistent".

The one guy who works at the front desk is very nice.

They do not take travelers checks!

Room Tip: Try to get first or second floor because stairs to higher floors are narrow and curved
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank thekelley16
Reviewed October 6, 2011

This is a darling, centrally located, pretty little hotel. The rooms are small, but very tastefully decorated with nice patio and floral views. Good hot water with great pressure. The breakfast is the highlight of this place - both dining rooms are beautifully decorated and there is a bright sunny, smiling wonder of a lady named Mary who serves a wholesome delicious breakfast with hot fresh coffee. I wish she was in charge of the whole hotel, because the front desk staff was not nearly so nice. If asked a direct question, they would answer - but that was about it. We checked in late, and the young woman at the desk basically gave us the key and the time for breakfast. Nothing more. No info on the internet, cable, laundry, taxis - it was kind of offputting.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2011

This hotel is 'cute' in a way a mountain cottage in the Alpes could be. I believe everyone would like it. I liked the bigger dining hall (restaurent). The hostess was hospitable and motherly in a positive way. On the contrary night shift gents were quiet and made me uneasy when I checked in at night. Many restaurants within 15 min walk, incl. Zazu, the highly rated upmarket restaurant. Good internet connection (LAN cable was provided on request). Puzzling part: apparently what I paid through the hotel website in advance was something like 60% of the room charge and I had to pay the remaining balance, though I do not remember seeing such instructions when I booked. Whatever the room charge should be --- it was about $75 for a single room incl. breakfast --- the charm of this hotel is unquestionable.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed here on three different occasions over our Ecudaor experience. It is a charming place, run by friendly helpful people and we loved it's casual atmosphere. It is close to good galleries, markets and eating places and a super maxi close by is a great help. It sure has it all over the large western style hotels.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This is a cute inn, nothing over the top. The rooms are very small, and the beds as reported elsewhere are truly "hard." The first room we were given had swinging doors in the bathroom which would not work with three adult friends staying in a room together. Swinging doors with a sizeable gap that is. The breakfast was generous and great with wonderful aromatic coffee. The free internet was nice.

My complaints besides room size and hard beds are the front desk attendant that arranged tours for us that cost over US$100 which really turned out to be just a taxi service for the day. I woudl suggest that you take organized tours by the big bus companies, and not let them make special arrangements for you shodul you stay here.

Would I stay here again, not likely.

Room Tip: Ask for a different room if you are not happy with what you are assigned. Not all the rooms are the...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 5, 2011

(This is actually a review from ca 2004) We booked this hotel before our Galapagos cruise due to recommendation from Frommers.com. It is a cute, charming old place. Food is very good and the people were friendly. We might have stayed one night and decided to cut our stay there short and moved to the JW Marriott close by. The place, though super cute, is noisy. We could hear conversations of people working downstairs and of people in the hallway, we heard sweeping in the hallway and doors opening and closing. We need a good night's sleep in general and we had to move.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple