“Nice, small boutique hotel in Old Town Quito”

Hotel Patio Andaluz
Ranked #10 of 112 Hotels in Quito
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I recently spent 2 nights here at the end of a hiking trip in the highlands NE of Quito. I first saw this hotel in 2008 while in Ecuador on a kayaking and rafting trip in the Oriente and promised myself that if I ever came back to Quito I would stay here. I did, and I did!

This lovely boutique hotel has only 32 rooms consisting of 11 suites and 21 standard rooms. I was in room #205, a 2-story room on the second floor along the front of the hotel. The bottom level of my room was a wood-floored sitting area with 2 chairs and a couch, a coffee table, and a desk and chair. There were both wall lights and table lamps in this room, but it was still just a bit dim at night.

In the far right corner of the downstairs as viewed from the entry door was a winding wood staircase up to the high ceilinged bedroom. The also wood-floored second level contained a king bed, 2 night stands with table lamps, and a low dresser with a flat panel TV on it. This room also had a ceiling fan with a globe light. The lighting worked very well for reading in bed at night. And the included WiFi worked well in my bedroom.

Off of the bedroom was a fully tiled modern bathroom with tub and shower, high end amenities and plenty of bath and hand towels and washcloths.

The rooms were very comfortable and I slept good here, even though there was some minimal street noise due to the front facing windows on both floors. I would have preferred, however, to have had the rooms reversed - the bedroom on the bottom level and the sitting area on the top level - so my large checked bag could have been in my bedroom. I didn't even try to get it up the wooden winding staircase to the second level and every time I wanted something out of it I had to come downstairs.

Also, be very careful on the wood stairs - I found them to be slippery (highly polished) and one of the treads was even loose. I reported the loose tread to the hotel so it will be interesting to see if future guests in this room find it fixed or still loose.

Other than that, the only nit I have to pick is the lack of hot water in the late afternoons and early evenings. It was only lukewarm at best during these times, but hot water was plentiful in the very early mornings when I get got up.

Others have described the public rooms of the hotel in great detail so I won't repeat it here other to say that they are very nice and comfortable. The hotel also has a very good web site with photos from which to get information. This is a very convenient hotel if one wants to stay in and tour Old Town Quito.

I ate one dinner and one breakfast here. The dinner was good and so was the breakfast buffet. The second morning I had to get up really, really early to make a flight so I didn't get to enjoy the breakfast that day.

The staff was generally very friendly and helpful. I like this hotel and would stay here again and recommend it to my friends; although, I do want to try Hotel Plaza Grande if I come back to Quito. I rate Hotel Patio Andaluz a solid 4 (very good) overall on the tripadvisor 5 point scale.

Room Tip: Ask lots of questions as there are many room configurations.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
HotelPatioAndaluz, Director of Sales at Hotel Patio Andaluz, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear Guest:
I would like to thank you for your visit at Patio Andaluz Hotel . It was truly a pleasure to serve you.
I hope that the accommodations and service were to your liking, as complete satisfaction is our goal at Patio Andaluz Hotel.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Patio Andaluz

Reviewed December 30, 2012

We just spent two nights at Patio Andaluz. Location is fabulous for walking all around El Centro. Public amenities of hotel are really lovely and very comfortable, especially since we were staying on Christmas Day when much of Quito was closed down and there was big rain storm for a few hours, so having such nice lounge areas to sit and read or talk and drink tea or go to the bar was really an added bonus. We love old historic architecture and appreciated decor of public rooms. Sleeping rooms had a few quirks as others mentioned. Rooms can be noisy to central "atrium" of hotel and ventilation was a problem. Room kept getting really stuffy hot from glass roof bringing in sunlight or too cold from needing to put on air conditioning. One little issue that particularly bugged me just because of our personal schedules, is that the bed has two side lights for reading but you have to control both from only one side. I also made a mistake and thought breakfast was included and did not realize it until we had spent too much money on the b'fast buffet. We ate dinner one night -- Christmas when most others were closed. The setting is lovely and service is nice; food is fine but nothing special. Staff at desk was helpful. Overall the hotel was expensive but it may be in line with others of similar quality in great location for El Centro.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed December 24, 2012

Very pleasant hotel close to the Plaza Grande in the centre of historic Quito, and thus easy walking distance to many restaurants. Rooms comfortable, staff most helpful and the hotel public areas most attractive. Only quibble is that some rooms seemed rather airless and the air conditioning units in the room were noisy. Indeed while ours was off, it was possible to hear those in other rooms.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed December 17, 2012

This little gem is located in the heart of old Quito making it a perfect location for walking around and exploring the area. We found the rooms to be very comfortable. We had two separate stays of two nights. Our rooms had two levels with bedroom on the lower level and sitting area and bathroom on the upper. For our second stay, the room had a small patio overlooking the dining area. The bathroom, while dated, is fully functional. This older building is beautifully restored and maintained. There are many comfortable areas to sit and enjoy a coffee or tea, which is available all day for guests. We really loved the cozy feel of the hotel and felt like we were in someone’s home rather than a hotel.

Privacy: While rooms face the courtyard there is a curtain that pulls across the window increasing the privacy.

Restaurant: We had several breakfasts and one dinner in the hotel restaurant. The breakfasts were buffet style and had a little bit of everything including breads/pastries, fresh fruit and juice, cereal and toast. There were a few hot items such as scrambled eggs. For dinner we sampled the Tapas, and these delicious.

Noise level: It’s a historic building and sound carries. Ear plugs are available. I am a light sleeper and I did not find it necessary to wear earplugs.

Location: Can’t be beat for walking and exploring. A few doors down is a small grocery store for anything forgotten, or for water/snacks.

Overall we had an excellent stay in this hotel and we would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone wanting a historical stay in old Quito. Note that this property has stairs with no elevator and may be a challenge for the very young or elderly.

Room Tip: Wood floor and stairs may make this hotel a challenge for the very young or elderly.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 14, 2012

Very nice colonial building located in the center of action in old town Quito. Service could not be better. Place is well kept, ver clean and confortable. Restaurant not bad, but could be better, alsolso prices are a bit high.
Very good option to come and spend a couple of days te get to know old town Quito and it's wanderfull museums and impressive churches.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 13, 2012

Great location in the Old town, very close to the main sq, so ideal for sightseeing.
Lovely rooms set round the courtyard, really well appointed, with everything you need. Fabulous breakfast & very helpful staff.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Patio Andaluz for 5 nights last month, November, as part of a business trip to Quito. We chose Old Town and I would choose it again...the ancient colonial city with the best of plazas, architecture, churches, restaurants and museums! Old Town is well-patrolled now, and is very safe at least by day! Andaluz is right in the center of it, 2 blocks from the Plaza Grande. The hotel is a nice renovation of colonial Andaluz architecture. It is well decorated and kept immaculate all the time. The price is not as steep as 2 other nice hotels nearby, but tour groups often book the place up on certain days so reserve in advance. The restaurant is very nice with OK food. The service and hotel staff are fabulous! The only drawback is the two interior courtyards are covered, so it can get warm, and none of the rooms' windows open to the interior, so you must use the air conditioning instead of fresh air. There is an exception, the rooftop (4th floor) Matrimonial room. We stayed there. Fabulous views and windows that open, but you pay the price with noise from some rooftop motor (a sump pump?). If the room had double payne windows and they fixed the pump (better drapes would be nice), it could be a perfect option! Otherwise, I'd choose the 2nd floor rooms around the covered patio in back, as this skylight allows SOME air to come in. All in all, this is a high quality hotel with great tradition and it is at least a great place to start your exploration of Old Town Quito!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business