“a great hostel for meeting people and comfy nights sleep”

The Secret Garden Quito
Ranked #18 of 289 Specialty Lodging in Quito
Reviewed April 5, 2010

the hostel is situated in old town,excellent for exploring the museums and cathedrals, a little bit away from the night life though. the hostel is one of the cleanest i have been in and i felt very comfortable here. the breakfasts and dinners are amazing, although maybe a little expensive for the area but the entertainment after is worth the few extra dollars. only downfall is the lack of knowledge for quito and around that the staff volunteers have.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 7, 2010

The secret garden was is my favourite hostel in the world, stayed there 3 times during my time in Ecuador and loved it everytime, the staff were (generally) really friendly, the rooftop dining area was amazing, the food was EXCELLENT and met some awesome people. This really did feel like my home away from home, will always go back to this hostel if I go back to Ecuador

Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 25, 2010

We have stayed in many hostels in Peru and Ecuador, but following our three night stay at the Secret Garden on two separate occasions this month, I can say that this hostel is not at all living up to the recommendation from "Lonely Planet".
It is impossible to sleep there due to the incessant noise (all night long) from other customers and due to the age of the beds.
It is also charging double the regular taxi fare from the airport.
One other thought is that due to the complexity, tightness and crowd, this place is certainly a death trap in case of a fire.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2010

This hostel was filled with excitement and energy, being filled with young adults from all over the world. Great community meals, spanish lessons and local musicians in the evenings... Great place!

Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed December 19, 2009

like many other reviewers say - the place is a bit crampy and noisy - don't expect much sleep.... if it's not "revellers" who don't want to go to bed - it's the staff cleaning up the place.... let's just put that down to bad acoustics!
apart from 2 general managers - and the female morning manager we thought was great - very helpful.... yeah the place is largly run by the volunteers - varying in knowledge greatly....
the breakfasts are great - very good value all-you-can-eat out in the morning sunshine.... and the evening meals are extra but caters well for veggies which we appreciated! it's a very communal experince - but we enjoyed this seen as it was the first stop on our 5 month tour of s. america...
unfortunatly it would seem that Quito is a volatile town in general - we definitely got that vibe and i had my camera stolen from around my neck - just a crappy little pocket one - so easily replaced financially - but it was an unnerving experince...
i would agree that this place best suits 20-something single travellers - but hey we're a 40-something couple and we remember this place fondly.... take earplugs!!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nina G
Reviewed November 15, 2009

Really nice friendly hostel with great roof terrace with incredible views over the city. Staff were really friendly and great location near to the old city but not too far in a taxi from the new town.

Lots of people raved about the food but in our opinion wasnt always that great and was a little over-prices, especially the breakfast- there is a really nice cafe at the end of the street though which serves a great breakfast for half the price.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dinnerathon
Reviewed October 14, 2009

I have always used Trip Advisor to plan my travels, but have never found the need to contradict previous entries until now. I had the most disappointing experience of my whole travelling life at the Secret Garden.

If you want to go to a hostel where you can party all night, meet lots of young travellers and don't particuarly care where you sleep or the service that you get then this may be the place for you. However if you want a place to stay that provides comfort and service it may be best to avoid the Secret Garden.

Our experience:
1. We arrived at Quito at 1 in the morning. We had been advised that it was dangerous to travel in Quito at night and so had asked Secret Garden to arrange a transfer. This had been confirmed twice by email. However, on arrival there was no driver waiting for us and after 20 minutes of waiting we caught a local taxi. At 2 in the morning we arrived at the Secret Garden and had to wake the night porter up. He was very unhelpful and stated that we didn't have a booking. I was able to get the reservation book off him, and find our names penned in for 8 nights. We were then told that they'd given our room to other people and that there were no other spaces in the hostel. This left us having to find another place to stay at 2 in the morning - an awful start.
2. We checked into the hostel the following morning and a room that had not been made up from the previous night. Despite continual requests throughout the day the bedding was not changed. At 19:30 my friend went to speak to the owner only to be told that he wasn't on duty so couldn't help - when my friend left she heard the owner complaining about what awkward guests we were (I think part of the problem is that the owner saw himself as a friend letting out rooms rather than an owner who had to provide a service). Finally at 20:00 a "volunteer" came to change our bedding - on speaking to her we found out that she had been working there for 2 weeks and worked 8 hours a day 6 days a week in return for free accomodation, during the whole time she was there she had only left the hotel once and was not enjoying it. I struggle to understand how a profit making hotel can employ "volunteers" without pay.
3. I had come down with a stomach infection during my travels, and unable to speak much Spanish I asked the owner for help. He told me there was nothing he could do and for me to just get some rest. When we later checked into another hostel the owner took me straight to the hospital and made sure I got the treatment I needed (5 days hospitalisation) - such contrasting level of services.

There were a number of other issues such as noise and the tiny and impractical bedrooms, so we checked out after 1 night and transferred to the Hostel Casa Kanela, which provided immaculate service, comfort, and is cheaper than The Secret Garden.

The roof terrace did provide fantastic views of Quito, and we met some fantastic fellow travellers there.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends