“Great choice for Vegatarian or Meat Eater”

La Cuchara De San Marcos
Ranked #64 of 1,467 Restaurants in Quito
Cuisines: Ecuadorean, Brew Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: After four amazing years in the beautiful San Marcos neighborhood, we've moved! We are now centrally located in the Mariscal district--close to the Plaza Foch but still a bit away from the crowds and noise. Our new home is a two-story house that features our restaurant upstairs, and a cafe, gallery, and fair trade store downstairs. And shhh! We've also got a secret terrace! You can now make your own juice on our bicycle blender with views of Quito! Our new menu has many of our classic vegetarian dishes, using organic local produce, along with our popular pastas and sandwiches. The downstairs cafe offers hand drip and Japanese siphon coffee, and a wide selection of herbal, fruit, and medicinal teas and infusions from across Ecuador. We also continue to have Quito craft beer, and our own artisanal brews. They sell out quick, but a high octane Belgian Triple or Triple IPA from our 10 gallon is only ever a few days away. Look for us on Facebook where we announce what's ready. And every Friday morning we open up the doors to our garage and feature some of the farmers from whom we source our produce and products. So come by and get your organic veggies straight from the source! We are excited to be part of the bustling Mariscal district and will be extending our evening hours for summer! Thank you for these amazing years of support and we look forward to seeing you in our new locale! The La Cuchara family.
Reviewed May 18, 2013

This restaurant is a away from the main street. The location is perfect for a lunch outdoors on their patio. The menu has vegetarian as well as limited meat dishes. Both of our salads were delicious. Our entrees were nicely prepared and tasty. The dessert was good. I would rate the restaurant higher but I am a foodie and reserve excellent for an extraordinary meal. I would eat again at La Cuchara de San Marcos.

1  Thank Drew M
There are newer reviews for La Cuchara De San Marcos

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Seems like there are no big signs on places in Quito like there are in the US. Down to the end of the street, in the cul de sac, up the stairs and inside. Ate in the bar room. Ambiance was great - dark and quiet. A few good beers outside the usual Pilsener selection. Helped us out with locating some wine for the rest of our journey. Menu was great, plenty of vegetarian options. Pasta was incredible, unexpected and generally delicious.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

To say that this is the number 5 restaurant in Quito is like saying that the Yankees double A farm team ought to be in the majors, just because they won their league.

The food was good...not memorable...but good. The presentation was superb. The chef must have gone to design school. The portions could have been a bit larger.

Service and decor were about the same as in most any typical middle of the road Ecuadorian restaurant that's trying to do a good job. I could suppose that this is very likely the best vegetarian restaurant in Quito although I don't have much experience in veggie venues.

The price was good and the restaurant offers very good value for your money, except for the mixed drinks which were way over the top.

Bottom line if you are only in Quito for a few nights and you want something memorable, this is not the place. But if you're a back packer or on a long stay and you want to have good food at reasonable prices in a nice atmosphere, then by all means, don't miss it.

1  Thank gphil108
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Went to la Cuchara for dinner on a Saturday night. It took us a while to find, worth asking one of the locals as it requires ducking behind a flea market and up some steep steps if you're coming from the main road Av Pinchincha. The place has a nice atmosphere and friendly staff. Being three vegetarians, we were impressed with the variety of interesting vego options. We ordered the soya empanadas to start which were crispy and delicious. I had thet raditional soup for main which came with a side of avocado and soy protein, yum! Portion sizes are modest but so is the price. We ended up spending $15 each for two courses and a drink. We will definitely be going back during our stay!

3  Thank Hheart_142
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I love this casual but charming family-run restaurant. It's on a hidden little cul-de-sac in the San Marcos neighborhood of Old Town Quito, maybe a 10-minute stroll from the Plaza Grande/Presidential Palace. There's a lovely little bar with good mood lighting, great home-brewed and imported beers (the American co-owner brings back west coast microbrews from visits home), good wine, and expertly-crafted cocktails (really—the house drink is an aged rum Old Fashioned with molé bitters!). I like to eat in the bar, but there are a couple other little dining rooms, and a patio outside with umbrella-tables.

The other reviews are right—the food is amazing. I'm vegetarian so I can't speak for the chicken, lamb, and fish dishes but as for the vegetarian fare, they serve delectable, vegetarian/vegan versions of authentic Ecuadorian cuisine, as well as some standards like a homemade veggie burger. Like I said, it's a family affair and the head chef is Grandma, who apparently makes her own seitan and soymilk. Most of the produce and other ingredients are apparently organic and definitely good quality. Grandma and the other folks in the kitchen are very inventive, for instance, making yaguarlocro, a local potato soup that calls for fried clots of goats or cows or pigs blood (very unappetizing to me and probably even to a number of carnivores I know). Instead of the fried blood, Grandma includes chunks of chewy seitan that she dyes with beet juice. Mock meat isn't everyone's thing, of course, but I was into it.

Beyond the yummy food, there's a little gallery and shop that displays local art and jewelry made from recycled materials. As of this writing, there is a bunch of jewelry made from recycled paper beads, all made by the restaurant's co-owner and her sister. I bought my sweetie a very pretty necklace and then she bought herself another.

Anyway, you can tell I'm a big fan, all-around. The owners—A dude named Kevin from San Francisco, and his Quiteño wife Maria Cristina—are friendly and welcoming. I've made it my regular spot while I've been in Quito for the last month, and I feel at home there. I bet you'll find yourself at home there, too.

2  Thank HanS604