Quito proved to be full of surprises - like getting my wallet stolen on a bus (that cost about US$100 in phone calls home to stop all my cards) and getting a really nasty cold that kept me in bed for a lot of one day. And Hostal de la Rabida which is a place to feel at home. Location wise it is in between the old town and the new town and buses are not advised :-( so it is either a long walk or a taxi ride to anywhere. The hotel is based on an old building with newer rooms facing onto the garden at the rear (where the rabbit lives - when he's not wandering round the hotel). The owners (he Italian, she British) don't live on the premises but turn up to supervise and talk to the guests.
We had a garden room on the one night we stayed before going to the Galapagos - that was a bit small. On our return for 4 nights we were given a bigger room in the main building. There is a comfortable sitting room on the ground floor which has a fireplace, and often a fire! And a restaurant area which is also used for breakfast. Dinners are available and there is a wide range of restaurants within easy walking distance.
All the staff were helpful, they all spoke English (not necessarily a given!) and were happy to provide advice and suggestions and look after luggage and anything else required.
The hotel is very secure (if that kind of thing bothers you) with guiarded entrance from the street which involves you pressing a buzzer and being inspected on CCTV.
KInd of spooked when we paid the bill to discover the breakfasts we had been eating (and which we enjoyed) were not included in the room rate. A bit unusual for a small hotel in South America.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel de La Rabida is an old traditional home recently restored into a first class, charming Quito hotel. We offer our guests the gracious atmosphere and style of a beautiful vacation home located in the heart of Quito, Ecuador near most places of historical and tourist interest as well as restaurants, banks, travel agencies and shops. With only 11 charming and tastefully decorated rooms, Hostal de la Rabida is a very special Quito hotel in which to enjoy your stay in our beautiful city. For those travelling in the company of their furry friends, you'll be happy to know that we are a pet-friendly hotel and will gladly accept any and all guests that plan to visit with their pets. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz and Hotwire so you can book your Hostal de La Rabida reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hostal De La Rabida Hotel Quito
- Hostal De La Rabida Quito