“this is another place I don't want to tell you about”
Review of Sol de Quito Hotel

Sol de Quito Hotel
Ranked #88 of 116 Hotels in Quito
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I have stayed here many times and always received the most attentive service of any hotel! It's located in a quiet area, a cab ride away from the busy, touristy area of Ave. Amazonas. It's a lot safer than many areas of town, yet within walking distance of a Mall with an inexpensive food court. I have taken 2 tour groups here to stay and we have not had a single instance of anything being stolen or "misplaced". The staff has been extremely helpful. They provide a nice breakfast in a lovely room with flowers. All the rooms are different. The hallways and sitting areas have painted frescos on the walls.

I always stay here in Quito, whether with a group or on my own. The only thing that has been wrong is that, in the past, there has been a missing light-bulb in a lamp or the shower did not work. I see from their website that renovation must have taken place since I was there last (2008) so I trust that these problems have been solved.
If a lot of people constantly fill up the hotel, the rates will probably go up and there won't be "room in the inn" when I want to go. That's why I don't want everybody to know about it. I enjoy the feeling of "family" that I get when I stay here.

Room Tip: The "Quito" room is very elegant, with a staircase leading to the bathroom and balcony on...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank New-World-Journeys

Reviewed March 6, 2014

This hotel was ok -- just ok. We discovered better quality places to stay for close to same cost. We arrived late at night, tired, strung out, not adjusted to the altitude, and with several pieces of heavy luggage. The desk clerk was very sweet and told me in limited English that our room was on the third floor. He laughed heartily when I asked him to show us the elevators as there are no elevators! Wow! To say it was an ordeal to carry up heavy luggage three flights of stairs would be an understatement given the altitude sickness.
The room was clean and breakfast is good. DO NOT PAY EXTRA for parking as they DO NOT have a parking lot.
Lastly, the bed leaves a lot to be desired - rock like mattress, broken slats. Also, no windows in our room, just a shutter on bathroom window.

Room Tip: Ask to be on the first floor and do not pay extra for parking!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nancy E
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Really cool hotel with great design and clean rooms. Location is good, a quick taxi ride ($3) to local shopping and restaurants.

Service was amazing, Byron was incredible! He was so helpful in guiding us to good places in Quito and he ensured every need was met promptly.

Room Tip: The Quito suite is very cool.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Stayed here our first couple on nights in Quito. It is close to Parque de Carolina, which we visited the first day to help us get over travel lag. They were very friendly. The hotel was clean and in a very quiet neighborhood. We would stay here again should we return to Quito.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rocky T
Reviewed November 26, 2013

The Hotel is in a good and safty quater of quito. It is easy to reach the City Center by Trollybus. The staff is helpful and friendly if you need any Information. Airporttransportation is possible.
We enjoyed our stay there.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the past couple of months and have enjoyed the experiences. The hotel is quite comfortable and the staff very friendly. Close to Mall Jardin, Carolina Park and many small coffee shops and bakeries.

Room Tip: Every room is unique.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Henry_Samson
Reviewed August 18, 2013

This little hotel was a great find. The slightly dingy exterior hides a surprisingly charming and rustic interior that is a blend of Ecuadorian furniture, carvings and artwork. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful and the rooms were great (albeit I got a double room for the price of a single). Plenty of hot water, and very clean. You will need a taxi to get to the New Town (and definitely the Old Town), but the location is quiet so you are guaranteed a good night´s sleep.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo