“La Casa Sol Bed and Breakfast”

La Casa Sol Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #31 of 252 Quito B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 2, 2014

This is a really nice hotel, in a beautiful colorful building, but in my opinion highly over priced, and therefore over rated.

The hotel is excellently located in the La Mariscal part of the town, just a couple of blocks from Plaza Foch, the party and nightlife center of Quito. Even though it is so close, the street is actually very quiet (but do read my comment about the room and the noise below).

I stayed for a night in a single ensuite room for $42/night. The rooms are very clean, the bathrooms are excellent. The staff is very friendly and speak English (not a big issue for me, but probably for some travellers).

However, compared to some of the other hostels I stayed, and for less than half the price in the room and the bed was tiny. Another downside of that, although not a lot of noise from the streets, all the noise from the hotel itself comes into your room, through the walls.

The breakfast, for a place that calls itself a B&B was another downer. Just bread, butter and juice. Most other hostels I stayed in in Ecuador, which included breakfast had far better and filling options.

My opinion, skip this place. Plenty of really great options in quito where you get it all - rooms, service, friendly staff, great atmosphere etc.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not around the central garden. A lot of movement happens throughout the day t...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Bodhisatva1

Reviewed December 3, 2013

The loft at the casa sol was like a little secret hidden in busy Quito. The atmosphere in all of Casa Sol was great, welcoming helpful staff and the room felt like a little bit of heaven, complete with our own patio for our morning coffee. Oh and the bed! I would recommend anyone to stay.

Room Tip: Pick the loft. Quite and perfect
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alexandra K
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Really enjoyed this hotel. We stayed in several places during our trip in Ecuador and this was one of the best ones. Great location, great service and comfortable rooms. They aren't the most luxurious and the room was a little small, but otherwise it was a very positive experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2013

The proprietor, Marcos, picked us up at the airport after a long delay in our flight. We had a large room perfect for our family of four. Breakfasts delicious and were different everyday. THe location was perfect walking distance to many restaurants and city attractions. It is located just off a major bus route for easy inexpensive travel.

Room Tip: Room 33 has a loft and four beds, perfect for our family.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2013

My family and I spent four days at La Casa Sol while visiting Quito and surrounding areas. Our Friday check in went smooth, and our large party (seven people) went to our three different rooms. The atmosphere was welcoming and safe, with a gated entrance, court yard, and cute little rooms. Unfortunately two out of the three rooms reeked of varnish to an unbearable point. After inquiring at the front desk we learned that they just painted the doors. We requested to switch rooms, but they were hesitant because they claimed to be fully booked. They found two other available rooms, and we switched over (having to pay extra for one). The following three nights went smooth and enjoyable. Until the last night when they decided to paint the door on one of our new rooms!?!? We again had to switch rooms. On the following day, surrounding hall ways again reeked of varnish.

All in all, nice place but some ill advised management decisions (painting the doors of booked rooms on the weekend). The location was great, close to bars, clubs, and restaurants, yet over priced. Next time I'm in Quito, I'll be staying somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank FrankTenorio
Reviewed July 25, 2013

A charming little hotel in la Mariscal. Very friendly. Good value. I would recommend this little place for sure to any of my friends :-)

This is not a 5 stars hotel... So if you look for a swimming pool and to be served like a King that's not your place. This is a simple little place that has the charm of the people of the area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I stayed 6/5-20/2013 in La Casa Sol. Channeling the name, this hostel was decorated with yellow, red, and orange. There was wood or tile flooring. The hostel was secure, with a desk staff to lock and unlock the gate. They had a cafe style dining room, a front den, and a back sitting room. It was clean and welcoming. I was in a large group. The rates were discounted.

- There was a lot of construction in the street and area. Room 33 was next to the street (dogs, sirens, and so on abound).
- A few of the beds broke while sitting on them, or boards dropped out of the frames. The staff was amazingly efficient at repairs.
- There was occasionally the scent of sewage in the bathroom. We just shut the door and it lasted about a day.
* There was WiFi available near the desk area (dining room, den, sitting room).
* There was laundry available at $2 per kilo - a large load cost me $12.
* I didn't have many problem with getting hot water; I showered mostly at night, and occasionally early in the morning.
+ The staff are wonderful - patient (especially with my limited Spanish) and welcoming.
+ Fresh fruit, juice, jam and buns every morning. Eggs are $2 - make sure that you get a receipt. I now have a new favorite jam (guava) and juice (passion fruit).

• Stayed: June 2013