“Good location, bad pricing”

Hotel Plaza Internacional
Ranked #76 of 110 Hotels in Quito
Brisbane, Australia
“Good location, bad pricing”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This place really is in a good location - just around corner from Hilton/McDonalds/KFC and staff nice to deal with but that's where it stops. Quito is not an expensive place to find a good place to stay but this place was in relative terms, expensive. And what you got for your money wasn't fantastic. A basic room which looked like it was last done-up in the 70s. Unless you have to stay here - tours stay here as staff get gratis rooms - you've got better options in Quito.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ramenmuncher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Anniston, Alabama
Reviewed September 14, 2012

The single room I was given was as sparse as it gets. The bed was extremely hard. My traveling companions also complained about the beds. Be prepared to be awakened by airliners through the night. The Wi-Fi is iffy- I was only able to get online once with my Nexus 7 tablet when we were there. There are better choices than this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Quito hotels

Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed July 26, 2012

The hotel picked me up at the airport, which was nice since I was arriving so late at night. As for my room, the bed was comfortable, and the room was cozy. The sheets were worn, stained, and had holes in them. The carpet needed vacuuming. The sink, toilet, and shower were clean, but the walls and mirror had toothpaste and unknown objects on them. The water was absolutely, wonderfully hot. The TV was broken (not that I was in my room much to watch it) as well as the lamp. The view was beautiful.

As for security, the room had no deadbolt or chain lock...just the small lock on the door knob. However, the hotel/hostel is gated and guest must buzz in.

The first morning, the hotel was flexible with how late they served breakfast. Although I arrived early, I saw people trickle in after the 9:30 deadline, and the staff continued to serve. However, the following morning, I arrive at 9:32 and had to beg for my breakfast. The staff acted very inconvenienced. The breakfast was good and included bread, coffee or hot chocolate, juice, and an egg.

It's located close to a main bus stop and strategically between old town and the mariscal sucre area.

When I was leaving, the front desk undercharged me, and I didn't realize it. A few days later, I received an email from the hotel regarding THEIR error. The hotel wanted me to settle up if I was still in Ecuador. I was still in Quito and wanted to do the honest thing, so I returned to pay. The second I handed the front desk a $20 bill, he immediately rejected it without even looking at it. He told me it was fake because of how it felt. It was a new $20 I had gotten from my bank back in the states. I was a bit amused and perturbed by this. He decided to thrill me with more evidence as to why it was a fake--the color, etc. Trying not to roll my eyes, I pulled out all of my $20s and let him pick out which one he wanted. Fully knowing that I really didn't have to return, I felt a bit aggravated that the front desk was making such a big deal about my $20 when I was just trying to do the honest thing.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Friendly, helpful, clean, quiet and hot water! Located in the same neighborhood as the French Embassy and the Hilton Hotel. Near many restaurants and bodegas, and stores, plus the crafts market. Ive stayed here 4 or 5 times. Its "a find". Try this place first.
Ray Mills

Room Tip: Higher rooms have great views.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ks1409
Cuenca, Ecuador
Reviewed May 6, 2012

I spent one night at the hotel and marveled at the decor. It really needs someone with money to bring this beautiful old hotel back to life. I would sit at the patio and just tried to imagine what it once was, the elegance it once had.
The staff is more than accommodating and there is always someone there who speaks English. They were very friendly and helpful. I guess there is a cafe/bar, though not open at this time but maybe when their high season is in swing.
The room I had was painted lavender and and was comfortable with a very small TV and only Spanish.
I will stay at this hotel any time I am in Quito. Quite interesting that I would choose this hotel over the Mercur where I normally stay but the old ambiance is worth more than the glitz.

Room Tip: Try to get a quieter room that is sunny.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank jujuwin
Oakland, California
Reviewed November 20, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 10 nights in June/July 2011. This hotel is close to everything, but very quiet at night. The beds are comfy and the view from the rooms in the upper floors is beautiful. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I will definitely stay here again. They also have convenient laundry service.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the top floor for a great view.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank travellover5704
Guayaquil, Ecuador
Reviewed April 19, 2011

Nice hotel, cheap and good environment. Its a very comfortable and roomy hostel.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple