“Nice but funless”

Ranked #23 of 231 Quito B&B and Inns
London
“Nice but funless”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I booked a single room. As my plane was diverted to the south of Ecuador, I telephoned to let the reception know. I asked the man if he spoke English or French, tried speaking both, and he hung up the phone on me. I tried calling twice again and the first time when I tried talking he hung up, the second time he hung up immediately. I then went off with a dictionary I had in my hand luggage and wrote out what to say to him, and called again. As a Swiss-French-Ecuadorian hostel in the capital, I would have expected to be able to speak French or English (I was coming to Ecuador to learn Spanish so had none at that stage). It was pretty horrible on top of a diverted flight.
The other staff were fine; two friendly, others not friendly but fine. It probably helps to speak Spanish, as maybe they are sick of people who don't speak Spanish, but then they are catering for tourists.
The hostel itself is nice. There is a lovely small courtyard area onto which the rooms face. There were no people up late here when I was staying, though I guess if there was a group it might be noisy, although there is a sign to ask people to be quiet there after 9. The indoor area is nice, with various seating areas, but only one couch inside the main door. It would be a lovely place to hang out in with others. There was a pool table but nobody used it while I was there. I had breakfast (extra) of bread and coffee which was find. They do evening meals but I didn't have any.
The room was nice enough, clean, spartan, bright during the day but gloomy in the evening as there was only a ceiling light. It had wooden floors which was nice, but meant that people walking created a lot of noise, but I didn't mind this much. The window was onto the terrace and the curtains were pretty see-through with the light on, so that was a bit annoying. The towels (pretty worn but I didn't mind) were renewed every day. The hot water seemed to run out as people used it, so better to have shower earlier on.
The location is between the old and new towns, so there is not much in the immediate vicinity. There is a bus stop really nearby which is good for travelling during the day, but as people are constantly advised not to go out after dark (6pm) it is not so good if you want to go to a bar or restaurant in the evening.
There were little lockers where one could store valuables e.g. camera, passport, which was useful, though I think things would have been fine in the room.
So it was not a fun or cheerful hostel, but it was nice and quiet enough.

Room Tip: I would imagine rooms higher up are better (nobody tramping in front of door or talking outside room...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Quito, Ecuador
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My family stayed in Quito for a week and i sent them at l'Auberge-Inn and it was a very good choice.....
The hotel is between the old Quito and the Mariscal, which is very convinient (walking distance). The staff was very friendly and helpul. The rooms are confortables (or with private bathroom or with shared bathroom) and most of them located with a view to the indor garden. They provide a delicious buffet breakfast and also dinner from 6 to 10pm with an international menu. The enviroment was great and it's the perfect place to relax and enjoy Quito.

I loved the place and my parents too

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Zürich, Schweiz
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Nicely situated between the old town and the mariscal. Clean and quiet rooms, very nice patio and great place to meet other travellers. Great breakfast buffet!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I spend two nights at L'auberge INN and really enjoy this place.Hot water, lovely patio, good breakfast buffet . A very nice place to meet other tourist .

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Reviewed April 19, 2012

We spent there two nights and it was a good experience. Our room was well isolated, clean and very confortable. The bed was very very good and the bathroom very clean as well. This budget place worth it. The staff is helpful and friendly. If you are willing to pay extra 3 dollars you can have there a very nice breakfast. However the location is not very nice. There is nothing to do at night and it is better to stay at the hotel. But on Saturday night, the attached restaurant was closed without any notification and we had to go to a little shop to buy something to eat. It was the only inconvenient.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Berlin
Reviewed February 15, 2012

I (Thomas) stayed in Auberge Inn in February 2011 several times and was really happy with the service, clean rooms and a beautiful Swiss bistro.

Seen that, I booked in at Auberge Inn for this year several times, too.
Unfortunately services and quality seem seriously to diminish :

– The swiss bistro has gone, instead only a stereotypical „mexican“ buffet
(beans, avocado, meat and tortilla) are served, and this only on sunday.

– One male staff member treated us in a rude way („key over here!“, „go!“)

– Two female staff members were rather neglecting our requests :
We complained 6 (!) times that we had only cold water in our room,
they reacted with great indifference.
It was only after 3 (!) days with cold water that another, quite commited,
member of staff, solved the issue

– Communication between staff members seems to be poor :
One offered us a 4 $ discount per night for the room because it had
only cold water running; - when we wanted to pay the bill to another
collegue, this was „unknown“ to her – she only gave us a smaller
discount upon negotiating.

– One day a reservation of a nice room was accepted, next day
Karsten was pushed either not to take that room or to take it
for a higher rate than fixed the day before (20 USD instead of 14 USD).
By all respect, we can not recommend this hostel anymore.
We moved to another place today.

Thomas & Karsten

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC
Reviewed February 3, 2012

The room and bath were attractive if a bit cold. The guidebook says there is a sauna which is no longer true. Great internet with headsets for skype, though it is a separate charge. Lovely garden to sit in. We picked this place to see a different part of Quito from the Mariscal. Unfortunately when we arrived we found no restaurants in walking distance. The in-hotel restaurant is delicious though expensive. $25 for crepes and a pasta dish isn't great value for Ecuador.

There is a sign in the lobby with a FAQ which seems to respond to previous guest complaints - should have been a red flag. The reception staff was sullen and focused on his computer the entire time. He did take our money, respond to spanish and english, and reserve a cab (all without making eye contact). Our room was next to or under a shared bathroom, which we heard use of in intimate detail all night long. If you are calling in advance I think you could avoid this by requesting a quiet room.

Room Tip: don't be near the shared bathroom
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple