Museum of Maria Augusta Urrutia (La Casa Museo Maria Augusta Urrutia)
Review Highlights
Really enjoyed this

Reviewed October 3, 2018
Kay64
Montreal
Beautiful home filled with incredible pieces from all over

Reviewed May 31, 2018
Zayna B
via mobile

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Quito
from $87.00
More Info
from $78.00
More Info
All reviews century house wealthy life foundation art tours ecuadorian
Reviewed October 3, 2018

Just the 2 of us on the tour, very interesting, and at $2 pp, well worthwhile. I happen to like this kind of thing, and both of us liked it.

Reviewed May 31, 2018 via mobile

I had trouble finding this place (another closed gate situation), but I’m so glad I finally did. I paid only $2 to get in and received a private tour of the whole place. My guide was so knowledgeable and talked about each and every piece in the museum. There were some pretty incredible pieces there, including a lot of Bacarat crystal. The paintings by Ecuadorian artist Victor Mideros, which are everywhere, were a highlight for me. He had a unique style for his time. Overall, I highly recommend seeing this home for a peak into the aristocratic Quito life of the 20th century!

Reviewed August 15, 2017

Very well preserved house of rich widow who ran charitable foundations and sponsored at least one artist.
House is a testament to how good life can be for the "haves" - the bathroom is truly spectacular - especially for its time
Interesting to see how even wealthy homeowners rented out the first floor to businesses to defray expenses.

Reviewed August 12, 2017

Its always interesting seeing how others live, both past and present. The house is a definite monument to one of Quito's philanthropists and has many examples of foreign and Ecuadorean art. Tours are mainly in Spanish, but we were lucky and there was a volunteer who spoke English.

1  Thank 504to593
Reviewed March 3, 2017 via mobile

Really very fine museum containing a philanthropist lady's belongings and telling a story of life here in the span of the years 1901 through 1987. Very intriguing particularly her care for orphan children and her concern for the arts. The guide spoke reasonably good English and was very informative and sweet. Cost very reasonable. Good value.

Reviewed February 10, 2017

This museum gives you a great idea of how wealthy people lived in the old part of Quito about 100 years ago. Found it quite interesting.

Reviewed January 18, 2017

At the time of our visit there was no one offering guided tours. While the upstairs rooms illustrating the owners private quarters are very interesting, there is very little information on her life and work. The curators have also filled some of the empty rooms with a curious mix of modern art.
The visit was ok but overall did not quite meet our high expectations.

Reviewed October 2, 2016 via mobile

Really lovely place, beautiful furnishings and interesting to see how they lived.
A sweet young guide, very keen, gave a good tour.
Would recommend.

Reviewed August 25, 2016

The young man who was our guide had just enough English to make this a fun tour - I think he learnt some new English words and we learnt a few Spanish ones. He took us tound the house and told us all about Maria. We spent over an hour in the house with him and enjoyed the step back in time. Only $2 (1 if you are a senior) to get in and well worth it.

Reviewed August 2, 2016 via mobile

A great place to see if you're about people and how they lived...not just 'things' but how these artifacts showed up in daily life. Yes, about a very wealthy woman (who also used wealth to care for children on one floor and entertain Presidents on another). But getting a sense of how it was adds an amazing dimension.

Personally assigned tour guide (for just the two of us) made all the difference. That he spoke little English (tour was all in Spanish) and we had even less Spanish made it even more wonderful. His presence and interest in the objects enables us to see and feel them in a way we certainly wouldn't have without a guide, and might not have with an English one. You can puzzle a lot of it out, and we used a language app for a few critical questions. Fun and so human!!!

1  Thank jaz79h