Ways to Experience El Panecillo
from $128.00
1,489 results
All reviews virgin mary walk up old town souvenir stalls viewing platform degree view the double decker beautiful statue food stalls tour bus worth a trip great views of quito entire city surrounding mountains sunny day historic center take pictures
Selected filters
Reviewed July 3, 2019 via mobile

I remember seeing a Russel Crowe movie years ago that featured the statue of the Virgin of El Panecillo during the beginning credits. It was so beautiful and intriguing that it really peaked my interest in visiting Ecuador and I'm very fortunate I had the chance.

From our Old Town hotel we took a short $3 cab ride to the top. Once at the top we spent quite a while admiring the statue of the winged Virgin and the workmanship involved in building her. The views of Quito are impressive as you are looking directly down into the Old Town. While we were there the clouds began to roll in for an afternoon thunderstorm which was impressive. There are stalls around selling souvenirs if you are interested.

Enjoy this beautiful statue and the awesome views!

Date of experience: March 2019
Reviewed June 24, 2019 via mobile

El Panecillo is a stunning landmark in Quito and getting to see the aluminum statue up close is really amazing. Also great views of north, south, east and west Quito.

Date of experience: June 2019
Reviewed June 3, 2019

I'm sure the views are nice but... We unfortunately didn't get to visit this place because we got robbed on the way there. Do NOT walk up via the Bahia Caraquez street! I got attacked by a man with a knife, injured on my hand and my wallet and phone are gone. I don't know if it's safer to walk up using the stairs but surely don't walk here. The police explained that it's generally a dangerous area. It's generally just very sad as Quito is such a beautiful town.

Date of experience: June 2019
2  Thank pascalpB7597OX
Reviewed June 3, 2019

This is a nice hill from which one can see, on one side the Old Town and how it was distributed since its foundation in 1534. You can appreciate just about all the churches' domes and bell towers. The statue of the Virgin on top of the hill is huge! There a a few souvenir stores and food stands. I would not recommend eating there since the places are not clean. On the other side one can appreciate how the city has grown, the new buildings and parks. Don't forget your camera and a light jacket because it can be windy. You can complete the visit in one hour, but getting there can take longer depending on which part of the city you come from. I would definitely recommend to do it as part of the Old Town visit. If you go with a guide, ask to be told the Legend of the Olla del Panecillo, it is quite interesting to connect it to the site. Or you can google it too. There is a restaurant, but for typical food I would not recommend it.

Date of experience: July 2018
Reviewed May 18, 2019

We took a taxi up for a few $$- it’s a long climb. There are a number of food stalls and souvenir stalls but at the moment they are doing a lot of works including resurfacing so rather noisy and smelly but will be great when finished as the 360degree views of Quito are great.

Date of experience: May 2019