Ways to Experience El Panecillo
from $128.00
1,485 results
All reviews virgin mary walk up old town souvenir stalls viewing platform degree view the double decker beautiful statue food stalls tour bus worth a trip great views of quito entire city surrounding mountains sunny day historic center take pictures
Selected filters
Reviewed June 3, 2019

I'm sure the views are nice but... We unfortunately didn't get to visit this place because we got robbed on the way there. Do NOT walk up via the Bahia Caraquez street! I got attacked by a man with a knife, injured on my hand and my wallet and phone are gone. I don't know if it's safer to walk up using the stairs but surely don't walk here. The police explained that it's generally a dangerous area. It's generally just very sad as Quito is such a beautiful town.

Date of experience: June 2019
2  Thank pascalpB7597OX
Reviewed June 3, 2019

This is a nice hill from which one can see, on one side the Old Town and how it was distributed since its foundation in 1534. You can appreciate just about all the churches' domes and bell towers. The statue of the Virgin on top of the hill is huge! There a a few souvenir stores and food stands. I would not recommend eating there since the places are not clean. On the other side one can appreciate how the city has grown, the new buildings and parks. Don't forget your camera and a light jacket because it can be windy. You can complete the visit in one hour, but getting there can take longer depending on which part of the city you come from. I would definitely recommend to do it as part of the Old Town visit. If you go with a guide, ask to be told the Legend of the Olla del Panecillo, it is quite interesting to connect it to the site. Or you can google it too. There is a restaurant, but for typical food I would not recommend it.

Date of experience: July 2018
Reviewed May 18, 2019

We took a taxi up for a few $$- it’s a long climb. There are a number of food stalls and souvenir stalls but at the moment they are doing a lot of works including resurfacing so rather noisy and smelly but will be great when finished as the 360degree views of Quito are great.

Date of experience: May 2019
1  Thank sandyhV9799ZI
Reviewed May 17, 2019

We went to El Panecillo via our small tour bus. You could walk up or walk down if you wanted. The walk would take you right to the historic district. Very nice views.

Date of experience: May 2019
Reviewed April 28, 2019 via mobile

We got here on the HOHO bus that has a planned 30 minute stop. The statue that was made of many stainless steel squares was very interesting see. We had great views of Quito and enjoyed spending some time at this stop. There are restrooms and food vendors a short walk from the statue.

Date of experience: February 2019