“Friendly and functional”

Ranked #100 of 110 Hotels in Quito
Olympia, Washington, United States
“Friendly and functional”
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I arrived in Quito in mid January 2012 from Washington State USA. I was meeting my father and brother who live in Argentina and due to flight delays arrived at the hotel before my father who's name it was under. I am only partially bilingual and after the flight was certainly not on my A-game but the staff at the counter worked with me to find the reservation and let me in the room with no problem. Our room, a triple was clean spacious (for Quito) and the internet connections was strong (for Quito.) The location is slightly less desireable than other hotels in the area including Fuente de Piedra I but we had no problems walking to and from the hotel in the day or at night as three adult men. After a couple days we switched to the Fuente de Piedra I and kinda regretted it due to smaller rooms.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tinsua

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Finnish first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed January 14, 2012

We stayed here for three nights.. and used it as a stopover for our onward trips to the Galapagos and the rain forest. It was recommended to us by Denisse from Surtrek. Well, we weren't disappointed. The location is excellent.. very close to restaurants, bars and the handicraft market. Marcello (the manager) was great. On the last day, given that we had time only from 12pm onwards, he arranged for a cab to show us around Quito. Obviously, the guided tour (for a day) would be have been much better, but for 1/4th the cost of the guided tour, we could see quite a bit of quito in 6 hours, Really good value for money. The breakfast is good and the security is tight. Overall, we quite enjoyed staying here.

Room Tip: It can be a bit noisy in the night, a suggestion would be to take a room (not facing the main road...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Madhurrao
San Juan, PR
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We stayed here for a week - choosing the hotel based on price and included breakfast after considering several larger chain hotels. Most rooms have multiple beds - since the hotel us used by many groups on their stopover to the Galapagos or other parts of Ecuador. We seemed to be the only rooms that were there for a full week.
Beds were comfortable, hot water usually good unless a large group had just arrived and all took showers at same time.
Breakfast was good with coffee, juice, fruit, cereal, yoghurt, eggs, etc every morning. Even the mornings that we left early for tours - they gave use coffee and rolls which was greatly appreciated.
Location is very good - on main street in Mariscal, just a few blocks from restaurants, loads of hostels and some shops.
Bus to old city is only 3 blocks away - (25 cents each way). Taxis were easy to get and cheap - just make sure to ask first how much it will be. Manager and front desk staff were very helpful with tour information and suggestions for what to do. Excellent 24 hour security with guard at the door. Maid service was fine - don't' expect 5-star service from this friendly small hotel, but you'll probably gladly exchange this for the great price. One issue may be street noise, but this is an issue at almost any hotel in Mariscal - so bring some earplugs if this is an issue... I got used to it in a few minutes and slept fine.

Room Tip: Some rooms have 'internal windows' that open to the hallways. The staff usually saves these...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Richard H
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed March 19, 2010

To be clear, I stayed at Hotel Fuente de Piedra 1 (not 2). I read some good reviews and the price was right, so I decided to check it out. I was not disappointed! The hotel is small and tastefully decorated. It has a beautiful courtyard with a soothing fountain that is a wonderful backdrop to enjoy free breakfast. The beds and pillows were comfy, though the rooms are not exactly soundproof, so bring your earplugs. The best part was the staff: Veronica and Wilson rocked! They were both incredibly pleasant and helpful with arranging transportation, suggesting restaurants, organizing take-out meals, providing much desired tea to a weary traveler and helping with any other questions that I had. It is rare to find such helpful hotel staff and these two individuals were the best I've ever come across! They made me feel very comfortable and at home. Much appreciated! I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Kayakqueen10
Toronto
Reviewed July 18, 2009

Other reviews have said a lot - but just wanted to add my positive comments. Clean, charming, great location in Mariscal. Lots of restaurants within walking distance, so if you're just in Quito for a bit en route to mountains (otovalo, etc) or GPS - a great spot to stop.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Travel7YYZ
Brookline, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 3, 2009

Clean, reasonably spacious and located in the Mariscal near many restaurants and nightlife. Front desk staff was helpful most of time and spoke English reasonably well. Also there's 24-hour security and free internet right in the lobby. Off the lobby there's a charming sitting area designed with antiques, and throughout the hotel there are pretty plant displays. There's also a rooftop terrace that's available to all guests. Breakfast is included which is a nice plus, although the same meal was served every morning. Eggs, fresh fruit, an assortment of breads. Our room was very clean but it got chilly at night. Also, walls were very thin and we could hear guests from other rooms nearby. It was noisy, even though our room was furthest displaced from the street. In general this hotel is on a busy street, so if you're looking for absolute quiet the Mariscal may not be the ideal location for you. Overall the value was pretty incredible.

• Liked — Interesting interior design
  • Disliked — Noisy neighborhood
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank mayacabo
Colorado
Reviewed June 20, 2008

As part of a group I was alocated in this small Fuente de Piedra hotel in May (2 nights). We loved it very much: people at the front desk and at the restaurant are very kind. The manager, a young lady, is fantastic and very helpful and the property itself is beautiful, well maintained and extremely clean. This has the best hot showers I got during my entire trip in Ecuador and personally I loved the beautiful decoration, a typical colonial style hotel. I recomend it to everybody. Prices are very affordable. The web site they have is www.ecuahotel.com.

• Liked — Cleanliness, location, hot shower
  • Disliked — no comment
  • Stayed May 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank JamesColorado