“Nice, clean hotel with amazing views!”
Review of Hotel Quito

Hotel Quito
Ranked #26 of 111 Hotels in Quito
“Nice, clean hotel with amazing views!”
Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here earlier this month on a trip around Ecuador through G Adventures. We started and ended our trip here. I did not know what to expect really but I was pleasantly surprised. Nice, modern hotel with good, clean rooms. Awesome views of the mountains as you look over the heated swimming pool. The restaurant on the 7 th floor was ok. We had the breakfast buffet which was quite a spread. However the night we landed we went up to get something quick to eat. The empanadas were oily and terrible. Food here was expensive as well in comparison to other similar places.

The hotel is located in the newer part of town. It was about 15-20 minutes away from the airport. We paid $8 at 4:30 am which was probably a couple more than standard fare. The hotel has a line of cabs right outside. For $40 the driver (Juan) took me on a 4 hour tour of the city - all the churches and the Plaza de la Independencia as well as El Panecillo. Im sure I could have done this for much less but it was day one! The hotel is about $3 away by cab from Plaza Fochs which seemed to be the most happening part of Quito with a couple of streets lined with bars, restaurants and clubs.

So all in all this placed seemed like a good place to stay for a short trip to Quito.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank NikhilJag

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 28, 2012

If you want to spare yourself the long review, just look at the title. You can do much better than the Hotel Quito. Where to begin? Okay, I will first say that I have traveled all over the world and was in the hospitality industry staying at hundreds of properties, so I have experience. This is not to say that I don't stay in hotels that I know are 2 star properties. When I do, I expect 2 star accommodations. I am reviewing this property on what it is, a 2-3 star 50 year old, dated property. I have never experienced such an off putting front desk and management team as I experienced at the Hotel Quito. Again, it's not that nice of a hotel to begin with.

My wife and I arrived at 8pm to the hotel and went to the front desk. We were the only people in line and stood waiting while 3 front desk staff stared at their computers for what seemed like 5 minutes before even acknowledging our presence (this was the case each time we approached the front desk in our 4 day stay). No friendly welcome, just how may I help you. We explained we were checking in for 3 nights prior to a Gate1 Travel Amazon tour and would also be staying for an additional 2 nights at the end of our 3 week holiday. Gate1 picks up the first night before our tour and the last night after our tour, we were to pay for 5 nights on our own (3 prior to our tour and 2 nights after traveling throughout Ecuador before heading home). We booked an "executive" room online for $95 a night no breakfast included, Gate1 apparently only pays for a "standard" room with breakfast included. This is where the complete disregard for "hospitality" in the hospitality industry would begin. Without even batting an eye, the front desk clerk said we would have to move rooms after our first 3 nights to a standard room provided by Gate1 Travel. I told him we were not interested in moving rooms. He made comments about paying additional fees to stay in the room for our 4th night or we would have to move. I was tired at this point and said I would discuss with a manager in the morning. Surely, that person would have to be more reasonable.

The good part of the Hotel Quito in all fairness before I continue. The "executive" room was okay, clean, about the size of your typical hotel room with two queen beds (we had requested a king, but thought maybe they did not have one. I would see they did when walking by rooms the following day). Our room was on the back of the hotel facing the pool. Great views. Water pressure was as good as I've ever had in a hotel. Amenities were provided in shampoo, soap, lotion etc. They were even nice enough to bring us toothbrushes when our luggage arrived late. I will also point out the housekeeping staff, bell staff and restaurant staff were very polite, obviously trained by someone other than the front desk/management. The restaurant breakfast was excellent as well.

Noise: The fist sign of a noise problem that we actually noticed was being awakened at 6:15am by loud thumping disco music. This was coming from the workout facility near the pool. Almost at the same instance, the sound of carts being pushed across the pool deck. Then came the most annoying of all sounds, an air compressor that would go on for 3 seconds, every 30 seconds for the next 14 plus hours. That's 1680 times this sounds would blast away each day we were there. Granted, we weren't in the room all day, but as soon as we returned, there it was, blasting air compressor. Just no excuse to have this sound blasting away, all day, everyday. This is on top of the airplanes flying over from 6am-midnight. I know there is not much you can do about airplanes, but it is a reality. The Hotel Quito has zero sound insulation. Again, one I could deal with if there were not other issues with the hotel.

Okay, I could almost deal with all of the noise. After all, it is a 50 year old hotel. But, when I went to discuss the room change issue with a manager, I had enough of the Hotel Quito. I politely explained my situation to the manager on duty, Jaime Palacios. I told him I thought it short sided to displace us to another room for one night when we were already comfortable (barely) in our current room and were going to return for an additional 2 nights before our return to the States. He said if I pay an additional $40 we could stay in the same room for the additional night. I asked how he came up with that amount and he said my room was $160 and the $40 was the difference of the Gate1 Travel rate. I told him my rate was not $160, but $95. He said that was a special internet rate and he could not honor that rate, only on the internet can I get that rate. Needless to say, I was pissed and could not understand why they were so intent on pissing me off. He just wasn't going to budge, so I told him I would pay the $40 and to cancel my last two nights of my stay. I would find another hotel. He looked at me and said "I am sorry to inconvenience you". Seriously. He traded $40 for the one night and gave up $190 plus other expenses I surely would have incurred during those two additional nights we cancelled. What a seriously flawed management group. So, we booked at the Nu House Hotel for the last 2 nights of our trip and found them to be far more hospitable and a much nicer hotel for less money, in a nicer location. As for the one night at Hotel Quito on our return from the Gate1 Travel tour, we were put in a "standard" room. It was very small, old and although it was "no smoking", reeked of cigarette smoke.

Do yourself a favor, disregard any positive review found on this hotel and find another. I cannot understand how anyone could give this hotel anything more than 2 stars. Thanks for letting me vent!

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TripnFool
University Park, Maryland
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Hotel Is very clean with amazing views. Steet noise could be a problem. You must take taxis to and from from this location.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Hamilton, Ontario
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Arriving after a long day of flights, the Hotel Quito heaven on Earth. A sweet young lady whisked us through check-in, and put us in a lovely suite decorated in soft Grey and cream, very peaceful. Every evening, we would return to our pretty room, fall into a cloud of plush linens, and wake the next day refreshed. Located in the Strand, right in the middle of things and walkable to shopping, dining, and several attractions - but still a little peaceful.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Thomas J
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed June 20, 2012

We stayed one night and had the full afternoon here and enjoyed lying by the pool and time in jaccuzi. The hotel has excellent facilities including a very well equipped gym. Amazing views from the restaurant and good spacious bedrooms with all the usual trappings. Excellent location in the city and a $3 for taxi to the centre of the new town bar and eating area. There is a dress code for the restaurant.

Room Tip: A superior room gets you in the tower.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Landay2012
Reviewed June 15, 2012 via mobile

Way overpriced at 140 usd a night. On a flight path, very old rooms, no info given to you about the hotel and noisy. Views are very nice and pool looks good, staff ok but not enough. For the price stay in a chain you know.

Shame as it could be done up well if they took what they have done in the reception to the rest of the hotel.

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank Bridtoltobyk
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Was our group arrival and departure hotel. Have to use taxi to get anywhere. Great views from the 7th floor restaurant plus room had good outlook overlooking the valley. Excellent breakfast selection. Rooms more than large enough. Hotel was quiet (noise) enough despite being relatively close enough to the airport and under the flight path. Main airport is being moved away anyway. If I return to Quito, I would probably stay closer to the old or new town.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends