See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed January 3, 2011

We traveled to Ecuador to visit the coast but, fortunately, our first night was spent at Los Alpes. We arrived very late and were immediately shown to our room. Quite quaint but very comfortable. Breakfast was prepared for us when we wandered downstairs at some very late hour. The Proprietor, Claudio, Sr., greeted us at breakfast and helped us plan a brief excursion into the city. We visited the Museum Claudio recommended (free) and spent time there examining the archeological and the historical artifacts. We then quickly visited the Quito market. We returned to Los Alpes on our way home and enjoyed the same sterling service and an excellent meal in house.
We found Los Alpes on this site and are grateful for that.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 17, 2010

I enjoyed the quirkiness and open hospitatlity of Los Alpes as well as a good location. I really can't speak to the rooms as I wasn't allowed to view other rooms. Upon check-in I was given room 7 and was concerned being over the check-in it could be noisy. I asked twice to see another room but each time was told this room is fine (hotel prob 25% occupancy). I also was told there would be a discount if I stayed 3-4 nights but at check-out it was full price that was finally discountedmto the agreed on price which was a bit uncomfortable. Returning after travels to Otalavo, I was given room 4 which faces the street. Now, both of these rooms were good but in such a location to be noisy from the street and I was interested in a back/garden room. I didn't attempt to see other rooms even though there were only a couple occupied. Again at chack-out the price was not as quoted and took some negotiation to bring it to the agreed upon price. For these reasons I give it an average rating.

Breakfast was average but served by nice staff. Dinner one night of spaghetti carbonara was decent but nothing special. I'd choose to eat out at some of the fine local places next time.

Good wifi

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 15, 2010

We are two adults and one child (age 10) who stayed at Los Alpes for 2 nights before our Galapagos cruise and 1 night after. It's a quirky but comfortable and warm (thanks to lots of blankets and solid walls) place to stay. The breakfast service is decent and the restaurant is quite good. Our only complaint is that we'd arranged for pick-up service then changed our dates and the change was confirmed by the owner but never passed on so that we arrived in Quito at midnight with no one waiting for us. On the other hand, we ended up with an actual second bedroom for our child (instead of just the triple we'd expected) /and/ we had a late flight out of Quito and were allowed to keep our room until we left in the late afternoon. The area around the hotel (across from the former US embassy and now AG's offices and around the corner from the Police station) is quite safe. We walked to the Mariscal during the day and took taxis there in the evening to eat.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2010

My daughter and I stayed at Los Alpes July 2010. We had a total of 10 days in Ecuador, three days in Cuenca and seven in Quito at Los Alpes. Quito is cold, which I expected having been there before, but the beds in Los Alpes are wonderful, lots of blankets and really snugly and comfortable. The rooms are not large, but very cozy and sufficiently large enough that you are not squeezing past the bed to get to the bathroom. A great plus is that there is a lot of hot water for showers, unlike our hotel in the historic district of Cuenca where the shower was barely warm enough to take the chill off the water. Los Alpes is “quirky” with unexpected areas to sit and read if you need “quiet time” plus lots of interesting mementos from Claudio’s past as a mountain climber, Incan artifacts, chiming clocks and a wonderful old piano in the bar area. And the staff, what can I say about the staff, not enough, they are wonderful. From Don Claudio, Claudio, Francisco, the reception desk, the maids, the cook, the waiter – everyone was so very helpful and accommodating. This is the type of service you expect from a five star hotel and I have stayed in five star hotels where the staff wasn’t half as pleasant. They let us leave our suitcases when we took the three day side trip to Cuenca and when we returned our “old room” was ready and waiting for us, complete with our luggage, it was like “coming home”. We ate at the restaurant in the hotel three nights. I ordered the same each night, Lomo al la Plancha as this steak was exactly as I liked, well done yet tender. My daughter fell in love with the Caprese salad, fresh cheese, from the vine tomatoes and just picked basil. Los Alpes is a six to ten minute walk to Avenidas Amazonas, the tourist shopping area in the Mariscal district, a six to ten minute walk to Parque El Ejido where you shouldn’t miss all the artists displaying their talent on Saturdays and Sundays and a ten minute taxis ride to the Centro Historico. There are also two great Indian markets, one in Parque El Ejido, and the other you will see on the left on the way to Avendias Amazonas. Shop around, you can get some great prices, even on Avenidas Amazonas. We made the trip to the Indian Market in Otavalo and the prices were the same as we had been paying in Quito. Though Cotacachi and San Antonio de Ibarra are a must if you are interested in Leather Goods and Wood Carvings. The hotel contacted a young man to drive us to Mitad del Mundo, his name is Nelson. Not a taxi driver, mainly a driver for tour groups but has access to his wife’s car for two to three persons. Lovely man, a combination of careful, safe driver and tour guide. Very accommodating and very reasonably priced. We used him several times, including our trip to Otavala, Cotacachi and San Antonio. I would highly recommend Los Alpes for anyone planning a trip to Quito. After traveling the world and staying in a variety of hotels and hostels, Los Alpes in Quito is definitely on my “Top Ten Best Hotels” list. When I return to Quito I will stay nowhere else.

• Stayed: July 2010
2  Thank Xamen-Ha
Reviewed July 24, 2010

Our stay at Hotel Los Alpes was wonderful. We were greeted in a very welcoming way when we arrived late at night. The suite was very reasonably priced for our family. The location couldn't have been better. The staff were always very helpful and attentive. We were sorry to be leaving after four nights. They were very accommodating and let us leave our bags in our room as long as we needed to after we checked out!!! Hotel Los Alpes was a perfect place for our family to stay and we highly recommend the hotel for families.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family