“Better values elsewhere”

Ranked #58 of 111 Hotels in Quito
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Better values elsewhere”
Reviewed December 9, 2011

Be careful to ask about prices and lock it down. We were told the room was one prices and we were charged a lot more the next morning. All was decent but we would have preferred to stay in a lower priced hostel for the same experience.

• Stayed November 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Traveling again in Ecuador, my wife and I returned to our favorite hotel in the whole world, Hotel Los Alpes, an economical and welcoming romantic home away from home. Perched halfway up the valley about 5 minutes cab ride (US$2 in 2011) from Quito’s colonial Centro Historico, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, it hides behind rich greenery off a quiet side street near the former US Embassy. A set of cow bells rigged to the heavy wooden front door announces entry into a paneled front lobby and den with fireplace and bar. The Italian proprietor, Don Claudio, and his wife have filled every wall and nook with marvelous relics, porcelains, antique clocks and an eclectic collection of paintings, each piece with a story if you can, and you should, afford the time. The wood staircase creaks on the way to the dozen rooms upstairs and the solarium overlooking a tile-roof courtyard. We prefer sleeping in the back, with the window wide open in order to watch the changing light on 4000 meter Volcan Pinchincha. With easy walking or cheap taxi access to the most interesting end of the city. The best part: upon each return, enjoying the warm but sophisticated hospitality of the owner, bellman/bartender and intimate in-house restaurant. Included breakfast, WIFI, well-traveled clientele and unlimited charm.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank roy m
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 19, 2011

This is a very comfortable, welcoming and pleasant little hotel. I have been to Quito several times but usually stay in private homes and this is the first time I’ve stayed in a hotel, but I must say that it didn’t feel like a hotel. When I came back after a long day (I was there for a conference and research), it really felt like I was coming back home. This is in part due to the fact that the place itself has a comfortable, cozy, homey feel and in part due to the friendliness of the staff. Every single person who worked there, from the owners to the night staff, always greeted me with a big smile and everyone was very helpful and accommodating.

The room was very clean and comfortable. Yes, it can be a bit cool in the morning, but that is typical for Quito (private homes don’t have heat either) and I was never really uncomfortably cold.

The location is great, in a pleasant residential neighbourhood close to the historic centre and within walking distance (10 minutes) of the main restaurant/bar/cafe district. They have wi-fi and there is a computer room if you don’t want to bring your own laptop. They stored my baggage while I went out of town for a few days, which is very convenient. Also, my flight left late in the day and they let me stay in my room at no extra charge until 4:00pm...very accommodating.

Quito has plenty of chain hotels, but I would highly recommend this place to anyone who wants a warmer, friendlier experience. The rates are very reasonable and it is great value. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank pascalluu
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2011

The hotel is in a great location. There is a police station just round the corner which we found very reassuring, it is relatively quite at night (save for a couple of car alarms) and still within 5 minutes walking distance to all the restaurants in the mariscal area and buses.
The rooms were beautiful and massive, with big comfy beds, heavy drapes, and plenty of extra blankets and pillows (it gets very cold at night and during the day) and completely spotless. But if you have a dust allergy I would advice you bring some medication, because having a huge pile of blankets in your face while sleeping will make you sneeze all night.

It was nice to be able to sit by an open log fire with the rest of the hotels guests in the evenings

The italian restaurant is horrendously expensive ($10 for a plate of spaghetti with a plain tomato sauce), a small cup of tea was $2 and was not very good tea at all. Breakfast was included in our price but it was like getting blood out of a stone. We would have to repeatedly request what we wanted and it would take forever to arrive, all in the wrong order with spaces of about 10 mins between getting your eggs and your toast.

However, the reception staff were extremely helpful in trying to explain our needs to their kitchen staff but more often than not, with poor effect, and gave us very good travel advice for our daily excursions to the surround areas.

Room Tip: ask for a room heater, it gets very cold
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank romainjune
Phoenix
Reviewed April 12, 2011

We found this place on Trip Advisor and it lived up to all the great reviews. Our only regret, we only stayed one night. The room was very clean and the low price included a separate room for our teenager.

We had an early morning raft trip so we were not able to have breakfast; however the owner then handed me back a $20 bill since we were going to miss breakfast. A very nice gesture. Later that evening we purchased a nice bottle of wine and enjoyed a very nice time in bar/lobby area.

I am a VERY light sleeper and worried about traffic noise and dogs barking. When we hit the bed around 10 p.m., the room and neighborhood was very quiet and we all had a very good night sleep!

The artwork, room decor, service, and value are all worthy of a five star review.

Room Tip: Room 13, top floor. Perfect for families.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank bluefive5
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed March 5, 2011

Owner coordinated a taxi to bring our luggage to us at a meeting and get us to the airport on time. Totally trustworthy. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Medellin, Colombia
Reviewed January 9, 2011

Tomorrow I depart Los Alpes for Cuenca and am so glad I found this little jewell. The water is hot, the rooms cozy, the atmosphere is cordial, and the price is reasonable. The owners are truly decent and highly accomplished golf champions. A large police station is just around the corner so I always felt safe in my four days here. I give Los Alpes a high rating. It suites my needs to a tee. Remember, breakfast is included.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo