“Disappointed” 3 of 5 bubbles

Melbourne, Australia
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

Very clean hotel.
Staff polite and seemingly helpful, but not so good on following up on promised services (that you certainly pay for!)
Difficult to follow up on issues other than by phone. Would like to find a direct email so that issues can be followed up/confirmed after my stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Polish first
Urbana, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

An excellent conference hotel, with attentive staff, excellent beds and restaurant. Nice indoor/outdoor bar. Excellent concierge staff can recommend good restaurants outside the hotel that are good. Be sure to ask them for advice concerning traveling to certain areas of the city - they are very up front about challenges to personal safety. Despite the travel warnings, we had no problems even off by ourselves (although an arranged tour of the city included two armed guards to accompany us!). Bring ear plugs (see room selection advice) and you will have no problems getting a good night's sleep. The hotel van from the airport was on time and very courteous.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the El Panecillo offers a great view across the park. Important to get as high a floor...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights. If you are looking for somewhere that is a bulk standard 4-5 star hotel, this is the place for you. The rooms are pretty standard for what you would get for this standard hotel- the rooms are clean, breakfast buffet pretty standard for a big hotel. The restaurants are a bit dates and remind me of a bit of the 80s/early 90s and the gym could do with a bit of updating as could the day spa, but overall, an ok stay. The concierge manager could have been a bit more helpful and a bit more enthusiastic about helping. View from the top floors is quite magnificent overlooking Quito.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

I stayed here as part of my GAdventures tour of the Galapagos Islands and it is well worth it. This is one of the best hotel stays I've ever experienced. Gotta love the beds and bedding! The room was so comfortable and the service was great. The breakfast included was terrific as well - lots of variety of things to eat and drink and all very good. If you're a drinker, the bar was nice but I found it too pricey for a shot so maybe stick to the beer (I'm used to $6.50 per shot in Toronto clubs, not $12).

The location of the hotel in Quito was also one of the best things about it - just at the cusp of both the Old Town and Le Mariscal. The neighbourhood is quite safe. Do not buy the stories you hear of people being mugged or pick pocketed. As long as you act accordingly or as you would in your own home city, there is no reason to be nervous in Quito. There are plenty of security officers, police and tourist security officers around in the streets and also in the pharmacies, restaurants, fast food places, and bars.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

I arrived here to join a group adventure tour of Ecuador. My plane from Houston had been canceled, I had been rerouted and when I arrived almost a day late, my bag was missing. The Hilton staff were kind and very understanding. They gave me complimentary internet access so I could pursue recovery of the bag. The room was very comfortable, including the pillow which is always a big deal to me. The breakfast buffet was sumptuous! (My bag did arrive at 2:00 a.m. and I bless the staff for apologetically calling to see if I wanted it brought up--I was ecstatic). We left luggage at the Hilton while we went to the highlands and then again when we went to the Galapagos and my bag was always intact and in good condition. We left the morning of New Year's Eve and I was amused by the staff's touches (a pirate hat, colored leis). Mostly my rooms had no view but the building next door (no big deal I wasn't spending time in the room) but one night I had a room on the 12th floor with an incredible view of Quito and I reveled in it. Caveat: avoid dining in the restaurant on Sunday night if you don't want the buffet. They were short staffed, no alcohol can be sold and it took forever to get our salads ordered off the menu. But overall: great location, nice facility and friendly staff!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

I recently traveled to Quito for four nights. Having status with Marriott and Hilton, it was tough to decide between the JW Marriott and the Hilton Colon Quito. I ended up choosing the Hilton for two reasons: a fantastic rate and the hotel location. The location certainly did not let me down.

The hotel is located across Parque El Ejido, walking distance to many restaurants (Plaza Foch) and very close to various landmarks (Casa de la Cultura Museum is just a couple of blocks away). However, its close proximity to "downtown" or "old town" is what makes the location of this hotel a great one. Took a cab to the Plaza Grande (paid $3) and did a walking tour of the old town. The walking tour took me through different churches, landmarks, Parque Alameda, Parque El Ejido and back to the hotel. It was that simple.

The rooms at the hotel are very spacious, clean, fairly quiet and I am pretty sure all rooms have a decent view of Quito and its surrounding areas. One morning, I was able to enjoy the Cayambe in the background and I know it is possible to see the Cotopaxi from the other side of the hotel. The beds are pretty comfortable, the towels are decent for a hotel, toiletries are the same as the ones found at Hilton properties in the US, and the TV has a large selection of channels although pretty much all of them are in Spanish (understandable). I should note that I got upgraded to a half-suite in a top floor so my opinion may be somewhat biased especially in regards to size / space and noise levels. In addition, I should note that the hotel has a couple of restaurants that offer good selections for a reasonable price, and other amenities (internet, fitness center, spa, pool) that every hotel should offer.

The staff members at the concierge and the front desk are a hit or miss. Some of them will go out of their way to help but some of them will make you feel like you just wasted their time. If I need help with something, I want to feel like they care. However, they make you feel like they are doing you a favor and you owe them. However, I do want to praise the assistance given by three people. The two housekeeping ladies in my floor (wish I had gotten their names) were some of the most helpful people that I had during my stay. I declined housekeeping every single day of my stay but they were more very polite and nice when I requested clean towels, additional toiletries and what not. Every single time I asked for something they did it with a smile in their face. Similarly, I want to praise Sonia from the lounge. During one of my visits to the concierge lounge for breakfast, the place was a mess. No juice. No food. No plates. However, once she saw these problems, she immediately took action. Within 5 minutes she had fresh food and juice come out.

Overall, this is not a bad hotel. The location of the hotel cannot beat. The hotel itself is clean and the rooms are spacious. I do wish that some of the staff had been friendlier but I won't take away from those that were. If I do go back to Quito, I will try to stay at this hotel once again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JuanyDinero
Sutton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stayed here, as part of a tour group, for one night at the beginning of a week and two nights at the end. Of those nights, I had my sleep interrupted on two nights by phone calls from reception - on one occasion to ask my name at 11.10pm! The other night my phone rang four times, at two hourly intervals. Bearing in mind that many travelers in Quito have just had a long-haul flight, this seems totally unacceptable.
The hotel was comfortable, its position is good and the food was satisfactory. However, my interrupted sleep makes it impossible to give it a high scoring review.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo