“Beautiful Modern Hotel in New Town”
Review of Swissotel Quito

Swissotel Quito
Ranked #13 of 111 Hotels in Quito
Reviewed January 20, 2009

Fab hotel, situated in the new town, so a short walk from some wonderful restaurants and bars.

The hotel itself is very deluxe, has everything you would expect of a 5 star hotel. The bathrooms were perhaps a little on the tired side, but overall the service was great and the staff friendly.

Had a little peak at the Presidential Suite - this is to die for, absolutely stunning with panoramic picture windows and views of Quito. There is also a grand piano in the room adding to its exquisite look.

The hotel has a lovely spa - single sex! And then a large indoor swimming pool - perfect hotel if you want to spend the afternoon relaxing.

It is about a 30minute taxi ride from the old town, which is a lovely place to have a stroll and soak up the colonial architecture.

Quito offered a fab base for me, as I went on to the Galapagos Islands from here, after booking a tailor made holiday with 360 Luxuries. Would recommend them for luxury travel around South America - [-]

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Swissotel Quito

Reviewed January 14, 2009

As someone who travels often and does not mind spending a bit more for comfort and cleanliness I thought I'd share the fact that on a recent stay at the Swissotel in Quito, Ecuador that I suffered from food poisoning shortly after having eaten breakfast at the hotel's Cafe Quito. Yes the typical lack of hunger throughout the day was followed by more of the same on the following day and a few other details that I will not get into.

I did, however, bring this problem to the attention of the Cafe's staff whose response suggested to me that such occurences have taken place before as the chap with whom I spoke was not the least bit surprised at my complaint. I also shared this news with the checkout staff and ultimately to the manager of the hotel via my travel agent. Their response was not even to offer an apology but to instead simply state that I had no proof. Perhaps next time I will send them the proof in a box or better yet leave it on the floor of the Cafe or the lobby of the hotel. My suggestion is to avoid this place or at least the food and try somewhere else.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank JimboBerlin
Reviewed January 6, 2009

I am mystified by the excellent reviews this hotel has attracted. Having stayed in countless 5 and 4 star hotels all over the world I was not impressed. Firstly, the hotel is badly in need of a make over - it has a sense of having been contructed in the 1970s and never improved. the decor is unremarkable and the artifacts scattered around are bizarre - perhaps they have some connection with Switzerland but its hard to see what that might be. There were no roses around.

I stayed one night in an executive room with a king size bed which was pretty uncomfortable. the aircon was either very cold or non existant. The room was the smallest executive room i have ever stayed in and the bath was tiny. The room was badly in need of refurbishment. i can hardly imagine the dimensions of a standard room.

the japanese restaurant was good but the French(?) restaurant - Le Point - which has the same menu as the Hotel Plaza Grande (A much better hotel with much better food) was quite awful. My wife and myself were the only diners and she had to send back her appetizer becos the scallops were severely overcooked and the meal was cold. Most of the time no waiters were present at all in the restaurant.

I would definitely not stay here again. The Plaza Grande is a lovely hotel but too expensive but has the location and excellent service. I did not find the service in the Swissotel very remarkable at all.

I can only say that other reviewers must be easily satisfied!

consultant 47 AZ USA.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2009

My 12 year old son and I spent 2 nights at the Swissotel after spending one night at the Mercure. Although we ended up spending about $40 more for our stay at Swissotel, there was no comparison. The staff was incredibly helpful. For example, we had left one piece of luggage behind at he hotel. it was in our room waiting for us rather than needing to wait for it to be found in their baggage room. The breakfast buffet was amazingly varied and completly delicious. We ate at the Japanese restaurant for New Year's eve and were delighted with the food and the service.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed December 14, 2008

We stayed at the Swissotel for several nights in between excursions to Mindo and Cotacachi and the Galapagos. It was perfect for the purpose. The hotel van was waiting at the airport each time we arrived there, and took us back when we departed.

The property is an extremely nice upscale business hotel. The rooms are very large (some nice suites) and well appointed, with a bottle of wine on the table to as a thoughtful welcome. Our rooms had a full bath and a separate half bath. The upper floors are quiet, and even though one night there was a reception on the concierge floor just above us, we were not disturbed. However, traffic noise can intrude if you decide to open a window.

The very extensive buffet breakfast was the best of our 5-week trip. Offerings included all manner of fresh fruits and juices, pastries, cereals, meats, cheeses and even selections that seemed more like lunch. The only negative was the long wait at the eggs to order stand - especially if one guest is ahead of you with orders for his whole table! The concierge floor has a happy hour as well as several free internet terminals (if you don't mind a loud shoot-em-up playing on the widescreen TV in the same room).

The front desk was always helpful, although their restaurant recommendations were a bit spotty. They cheerfully kept several bags in the luggage room while we trimmed down our gear for the Galapagos.

It's a long walk to the colonial section of town, but taxis are not expensive. You can, however, walk to an area with many restaurants and a decent crafts market. We found an excellent shop where we were able to buy a beautiful and intricate Peruvian "retableau". We had regretted not buying one in Cusco, and were pleased to find an excellent selection at good prices. Also unexpected was to find ourselves in the presence of Ecuadorean President Rafael Correa, who was shopping there with his family! Although we had noted a major police presence on the street, we were allowed to walk unchallenged into the store.

Quito, even its colonial quarter, doesn't have the appeal of Cusco, and its dimensions (it's a skinny 30 miles long, squeezed in a tight valley) make it very awkward for walking. Most of the nearby "sights" are of moderate interest at best, with the exception of the fantastic birding available in Mindo, about 2 hours west (stay at the new but wonderfully rustic Casa Divina). The world-famous Otavalo market about 2 hours north is energetic and well-run, but very touristy, and the mini-exposition at "MItad del Mundo" (on the way, and on the equator) is really not much.

That's why the Swissotel is a good choice as you pass through Quito: it's reliable, relaxing and recommended.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2008

We have recently come back from a five night stay in the Swissotel (not consecutive). Whilst the hotel is large is still manages to maintain a cosy feel and the staff are, in the main, very friendly. The rooms are spotless and it is a nice touch to receive a rose and chocolates every day; what is really great though is that you can leave luggage safely at the hotel whilst you visit other areas of Ecuador. This is a really good service and we invariably had our luggage back in our room when we returned to the hotel, that or it arrived very quickly thereafter.
There are internet facilities and the view from the top floor is terrific. The pool is also a nice touch and a lovely place to relax after exploring the country. We enjoyed the buffet breakfasts but would not rate the evening buffet meals and the service from the evening chef (well on the night we used this facility) left quite a bit to be desired. However, the staff, service and meal at the le point restaurant was superb and well worth the price.
We found the location fine, the walk to the old town was not too far and the restaurant just across the street was great (but not open on Mondays). We felt safe in Quito (taking normal precautions) although the fumes from traffic, at times, were not great. Both of us experienced headaches from the altitude but after drinking plenty of water and taking it easy it did not spoil our holiday, and to be truthful we went prepared for this.
If you are travelling back and forth we would certainly recommend the Swissotel as a base to come back to, it is a little bit of luxury in a country which can make you feel quite humble at times.

• Stayed: September 2008
2  Thank Toffeepops
Reviewed August 2, 2008

I spent 4 nights at this hotel, the last of these with my adult daughter, before we flew to the Galapagos.

Everything about the Swissotel was outstanding but special mention must be reserved for the way they reacted when I had a bag stolen a short distance from the hotel. The concierge immediately informed the hotel manager who swiftly directed the head of security to accompany me to a nearby office of Tourism Police to report the crime, make a statement etc. (Least said the better about the ineffectiveness of the Tourism Police, but the hotel staff were great!) On my return to the hotel the manager went out of his way to apologise for what had happened in his city.

Our suite was on the 11th floor and provided two queen sized beds, two separate toilets, a lounge area and a lovely bathroom. The quality of furnishings and clealiness was high and attention to detail also high. Staff came to the room three times each day: to clean, change towels etc., early evening to throw back curtains for a view across the city, late evening to turn down beds, place chocolates and roses on pillows and leave low lights and background music playing.

There are several restaurants each offering something different, with breakfast taken in one of them. Choice at breakfast time was excellent with as broad a range on offer as I have experienced anywhere. The duty chef cooked eggs to order and sure made a mean omelette!

Internet access in the Business Centre was free to guests as was the pretty well-equipped gym - I made full use of both and found the staff most helpful. The linked indoor and outdoor pools looked inviting but I didn't get chance to check them out.

The laundry service is quite a bit more costly than you might expect to pay locally but the quality of finish was high. When they were unable to remove a stain from a garment they did not charge for its laundering.

ALL the staff in every capacity were a delight and went out of their way to be friendly and helpful.

A very enjoyable stay.