“Decent marriott with great pool”

JW Marriott Hotel Quito
Ranked #10 of 111 Hotels in Quito
Philadlephia
“Decent marriott with great pool”
Reviewed August 24, 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights with 4 teenagers. The hotel lobby and rooms are very nicely appointed. The best things about the hotel is the heated pool and jacuzzi (and cold pool too), the need for a room key to use the elevators, and the helpful staff. The worst things are the charge to use the internet, and most of all the food in the hotel restaurant was vile. We only ate breakfast there - it was extremely expensive (in comparison eating in Quito is quite inexpensive) and each item was cold and tasteless.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 2, 2010

We arrived in Quito very late at night to find that the hotel that our travel agent had booked for us was awful. It was dirty, smelly, unsafe and we refused to stay there. Having noticed a Marriott on the way from the airport, we transferred there by taxi and checked into two clean, comfortable rooms and heaved a sigh of relief! The staff were helpful and extremely pleasant despite the fact that it was after 1:00 am. The restaurants were very good and Carla, in the Executive Lounge was wonderful. Would recommennd the extra expense for the upgrade as it includes breakfast, snacks and drinks throughout the day, as well as free internet. A great place to stay on the way to and from the
Galapagos, as we did, or just a good place to stay in Quito.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Quito, Ecuador
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Rooms are like any marriott out there, they look just the same. The location is great to walk around near Quitos best malls. Beds are really comfortable and you can sleep all day long. Check out the Swimming pool and the sushi bar, the best out there.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank LCMORENO
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 16, 2010

We stayed at the JW for three nights, very nice hotel with a well trained staff. Great pool area, with several of the pools heated, which is needed in Quito. The room was nice, but a bit small for a family of four. Linens were very nice & pillows ample. Was surpised that we had to pay $14.95 pr day for the internet, as most 5 star hotels it is included in the room rate. Was shocked that I could not use the wireless in the lobby even though I paid $14.95 for the room ethernet service. I asked the woman at the front desk and she told me it was an additional charge!! When I questioned her she told me to go to the business center for assistance!!

The restaurants all looked nice, but very expensive compared to other close by restaurants. The breakfast buffet is US $18.00 per person! plus 22% tax & service. Strongly recommend walking across the street to the Metro Cafe for breakfast or lunch. This family of four ate a great full breakfast at the Metro for $25 taxes & tip included.

Don't use the hotels contract taxis for local or all day hire as they are about 2-3 times the cost of regular street taxi. We were told the hotel takes a cut of the car for hire fees!

Overall a good hotel, just watch out for extra charges and stay away from the restaurants.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank temple1120
Germanico B, Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Quito, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
Dear Guest:
We are truly glad to hear these lovely comments, thank you so much for writing to us, we work hard and effectively, to keep our standards in the high quality level that you deserve.

We hope, we would have the pleasure to serve you again soon!

Best Regards

Germánico Benalcázar
JW Marriott Quito-Ecuador
Hertfordshire
Reviewed July 16, 2010

During July my daughter and I stayed in the Marriot 3 times between trips. The service was great. I unfortunately ended up in hospital and the hotel were fantastic, sending a member of staff with me to help with the forms and to translate. Whilst in hospital they contacted me to see how I was and nothing was too much trouble for them. They also looked out for my daughter. I cannot praise them enough.
Apart from that everything about the hotel was faultless.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Shenyang, China
Reviewed July 7, 2010

We stayed at the JW Marriott in Quito on three separate occasions in May for a total of 5 nights. Our first stay was for 3 nights while exploring Quito at the beginning of our trip. It was everything that you would expect from a JW Marriott - clean, luxurious, & pricey. The nightly rates weren't too bad because we had the friends & family discount, but they will nickle & dime you on every other amenity. The internet cost $4 per 15 minutes, but if you walk 1/2 a block you could get it for 25 cents/15 minutes at an internet cafe. Breakfast wasn't included in our rate but we ate in the restaurant on the first morning. We weren't hungry enough for the all-you-can-eat buffet ($20/person) & instead ordered a la carte off the menu, which seemed to really irritate the waiter.
The pool was fantastic but due to the height of the building, you couldn't really get much sun after about 5:00PM. I got a 1-hr massage for $60 & it was great. That was definitely cheaper than what I pay in DC, but more expensive than if I'd gone outside of the hotel. However, the convenience of not having to leave the hotel made the price worth it to me. The hotel has its own taxi drivers who are all very nice but charge at least double the rate of the regular taxis. The hotel driver was great on our first day because he took us to El Panecillo, walked around with us on the mountain, took our picture, & provided information that we wouldn't have known without him. He also drove us back down to the old town area & gave us some tips. However, if you're just trying to get to a destination, then I suggest walking down to the street in front of the hotel & flagging down a cab for a much cheaper rate. The neighborhood right around the hotel is great. You're only a few blocks from the neighborhood called "Gringolandia", which has a lot of restaurants & a few shops. I never felt unsafe.

Our second stay was for 1 night after we'd spent a week in the Galapagos. It was nice to have a very comfortable room after spending the past 7 days hiking & being in nature. We opted for the business upgrade this time & thus had access to the executive lounge on the 10th floor, which offered free hor'dourves, soda, desserts, breakfast, snacks, & wi-fi. I probably wouldn't do the upgrade every time but it was nice for one night.

Our third stay was for 1 night after we'd spent 5 days in the rainforest, so again, it was nice to have a comfortable, air-conditioned room with a tv after having spent the last 4 nights in nature.

Final summary: I wish we'd stayed in a smaller boutique hotel in Quito for the first 3 nights so that we could get a better "Ecuadorian" experience, but I'm happy that we stayed there for the single nights in between our other excursions because the luxury/comfort was a nice break from nature.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Traci T
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 4, 2010

The ultimate in comfort and service. We stayed as part of our Celebrity Xpedition cruise to the Galapagos and we had 3 nights here. Everything was marvelous from the gorgeous lobby with beautiful roses to the wonderful breakfast buffet to the spacious room with the luxurious bath (loved the oval tub). We also enjoyed the pool which was surprisingly warm--since it was a little cool there that was a most welcome surprise. I loved that they had a beautiful fresh red rose on the bed when we checked in. The staff was very friendly and helpful--I needed to stitch up my duffel bag that the airline had ripped and they obligingly came up with needle and thread. When I asked the maid for another robe she actually ran to get it!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple