“Great Location, Excellent restaurants”

JW Marriott Hotel Quito
Ranked #12 of 112 Hotels in Quito
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Rooms are like any marriott out there, they look just the same. The location is great to walk around near Quitos best malls. Beds are really comfortable and you can sleep all day long. Check out the Swimming pool and the sushi bar, the best out there.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank LCMORENO
Write a ReviewReviews (1,673)

Reviewed July 16, 2010

We stayed at the JW for three nights, very nice hotel with a well trained staff. Great pool area, with several of the pools heated, which is needed in Quito. The room was nice, but a bit small for a family of four. Linens were very nice & pillows ample. Was surpised that we had to pay $14.95 pr day for the internet, as most 5 star hotels it is included in the room rate. Was shocked that I could not use the wireless in the lobby even though I paid $14.95 for the room ethernet service. I asked the woman at the front desk and she told me it was an additional charge!! When I questioned her she told me to go to the business center for assistance!!

The restaurants all looked nice, but very expensive compared to other close by restaurants. The breakfast buffet is US $18.00 per person! plus 22% tax & service. Strongly recommend walking across the street to the Metro Cafe for breakfast or lunch. This family of four ate a great full breakfast at the Metro for $25 taxes & tip included.

Don't use the hotels contract taxis for local or all day hire as they are about 2-3 times the cost of regular street taxi. We were told the hotel takes a cut of the car for hire fees!

Overall a good hotel, just watch out for extra charges and stay away from the restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank temple1120
Germanico B, Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Quito, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2012

Dear Guest:
We are truly glad to hear these lovely comments, thank you so much for writing to us, we work hard and effectively, to keep our standards in the high quality level that you deserve.

We hope, we would have the pleasure to serve you again soon!

Best Regards

Germánico Benalcázar
JW Marriott Quito-Ecuador

Reviewed July 16, 2010

During July my daughter and I stayed in the Marriot 3 times between trips. The service was great. I unfortunately ended up in hospital and the hotel were fantastic, sending a member of staff with me to help with the forms and to translate. Whilst in hospital they contacted me to see how I was and nothing was too much trouble for them. They also looked out for my daughter. I cannot praise them enough.
Apart from that everything about the hotel was faultless.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2010

We stayed at the JW Marriott in Quito on three separate occasions in May for a total of 5 nights. Our first stay was for 3 nights while exploring Quito at the beginning of our trip. It was everything that you would expect from a JW Marriott - clean, luxurious, & pricey. The nightly rates weren't too bad because we had the friends & family discount, but they will nickle & dime you on every other amenity. The internet cost $4 per 15 minutes, but if you walk 1/2 a block you could get it for 25 cents/15 minutes at an internet cafe. Breakfast wasn't included in our rate but we ate in the restaurant on the first morning. We weren't hungry enough for the all-you-can-eat buffet ($20/person) & instead ordered a la carte off the menu, which seemed to really irritate the waiter.
The pool was fantastic but due to the height of the building, you couldn't really get much sun after about 5:00PM. I got a 1-hr massage for $60 & it was great. That was definitely cheaper than what I pay in DC, but more expensive than if I'd gone outside of the hotel. However, the convenience of not having to leave the hotel made the price worth it to me. The hotel has its own taxi drivers who are all very nice but charge at least double the rate of the regular taxis. The hotel driver was great on our first day because he took us to El Panecillo, walked around with us on the mountain, took our picture, & provided information that we wouldn't have known without him. He also drove us back down to the old town area & gave us some tips. However, if you're just trying to get to a destination, then I suggest walking down to the street in front of the hotel & flagging down a cab for a much cheaper rate. The neighborhood right around the hotel is great. You're only a few blocks from the neighborhood called "Gringolandia", which has a lot of restaurants & a few shops. I never felt unsafe.

Our second stay was for 1 night after we'd spent a week in the Galapagos. It was nice to have a very comfortable room after spending the past 7 days hiking & being in nature. We opted for the business upgrade this time & thus had access to the executive lounge on the 10th floor, which offered free hor'dourves, soda, desserts, breakfast, snacks, & wi-fi. I probably wouldn't do the upgrade every time but it was nice for one night.

Our third stay was for 1 night after we'd spent 5 days in the rainforest, so again, it was nice to have a comfortable, air-conditioned room with a tv after having spent the last 4 nights in nature.

Final summary: I wish we'd stayed in a smaller boutique hotel in Quito for the first 3 nights so that we could get a better "Ecuadorian" experience, but I'm happy that we stayed there for the single nights in between our other excursions because the luxury/comfort was a nice break from nature.

2  Thank Traci T
Reviewed June 4, 2010

The ultimate in comfort and service. We stayed as part of our Celebrity Xpedition cruise to the Galapagos and we had 3 nights here. Everything was marvelous from the gorgeous lobby with beautiful roses to the wonderful breakfast buffet to the spacious room with the luxurious bath (loved the oval tub). We also enjoyed the pool which was surprisingly warm--since it was a little cool there that was a most welcome surprise. I loved that they had a beautiful fresh red rose on the bed when we checked in. The staff was very friendly and helpful--I needed to stitch up my duffel bag that the airline had ripped and they obligingly came up with needle and thread. When I asked the maid for another robe she actually ran to get it!

1  Thank Pesca7
Reviewed June 1, 2010

My wife and I were at this hotel two nights before and two nights after our Celebrity Galapagos cruise. We have both traveled a lot and I have traveled the world for business. This is one of the best hotels I have ever been to.

I have read some of the other reviews and I did not experience any of the issues that have been stated with the staff. I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. I had several interactions with at least four different front desk staff. All were first class and spoke very good to excellent English. Door porters and concierge were helpful and friendly. Every staff member I passed either at the desk, setting up flowers, cleaning or serving me in one of the restaurants were always pleasant, with a smile and a greeting.

The room was typical Marriott. I personally like it. The AC/Heating unit worked great on both stays. I like the beds but for some reason they are short. We had a king sized both times but at 6’ 1” my feet were either right on the edge at the bottom or they hung over.

The bathroom was big with a tub and separate shower that worked just fine and had good water pressure. The sink area was a little small but we weren’t buying the room, just renting it for a few nights. The only other complaint was for a JW Marriott I would expect better shower towels. These were small and scratchy and more suited for a Motel 6 than a JW Marriott. Still not a big issue.

As other say, the area is not great and there isn’t much right there. The staff can help you out and taxis are cheap. You are about 20 to 30 minutes from the airport.

The breakfast buffet was good. There was an egg/omelet bar, several hot items, a large fruit bar, cereals, and many bread and pastry selections. We ate at the Mexican restaurant and really enjoyed it. Food prices are a little high for Quito and the wine prices are crazy high (4x retail instead of the normal 2x.) Still convenient if you don’t want to get out and the quality was very good.

The pool area is excellent and the big main pool is heated so it is usable. Getting out can be fun.

I would stay here again in a heart beat and would recommend it to my family and friends.

1  Thank Stargazerm31
Reviewed April 17, 2010

I do alot of traveling, stayed at different Marriotts here and there across the world, traveled now to over 50 countries. The JW Quito was nice, the rooms were great and restaurants. Pool was awesome. The guest services are genreally good except for the front desk staff when I went there from 10-13 April. A a girl named Diane was super rude, made unecessary comments about having a "basic" Marriott rewards membership - who cares - thats what everyone has when they first sign up unless its a corporate level or something like that? She also continued to make unecessary comments and acted rudely towards us the entire time about whatever she could really. I had pretty good experiences with Marriott in my lifetime thus far. My dad works for Marriott now, my mom did for quite a few years in the past as well and my Husband and I just paid for our wedding party of 20 people to stay at one in Miami. We were there on our honeymoon before hopping over to Peru. So, with all that said, I was disappointed with some of the comments and attitudes in Quito - it is not characteristic of Marriott. We are pretty laid back, love people, love to travel, we are not exhibitionists, so I dont know.

The JW is one of the best hotels if not the best in Quito- beautiful hotel, but the service experience for us was sour. I guess it was because I wasnt wearing Armani when I cehcked in or pulled up in a Limo or Maserati...lol. I do recommend the hotel for what it has, but the service needs at the desk needs to improve significantly. Restaurant staff were nice, Consierge was great and housekeeping were outstanding...maybe Diane was just a bad apple.

Other issue was with some local people I guess - dont know., they went to the restaurant in the hotel for lunch and this man kept coming up to us trying to start issues - we were not happy, but the gentleman in the restaurant apologized and helped us out, so that was nice. Dont know what the rules are for situations like that, he wasnt escorted out?

The area around the the hotel is so so, some graffiti right across the street and the hotel seems a little upscale for the area, as the area is a little run down. For Quito, I still recommend the JW for what it has and for those staff who were superb, but for the onsies and twosies that were unprofessional, to be honest, we almost walked out - my recommendation is a small one, as the JW Quito was not my favorite Marriott at all, not by a long shot anyways. I hope that others staying there will have a better experience than us.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple