Review Highlights
Great tour in Ecuador

My husband and I have just toured from Quito to Otavalo, to Cotopaxi and Quilotoa and onto Banos... read more

Reviewed December 4, 2016
DianneH308
Sunrise Beach, Australia
Following in my daughters foot steps

I booked this tour after my daughter had a great time one year ago. I essentially followed her... read more

Reviewed February 17, 2016
Mark T
Petersburg, Alaska

See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We had a couple of days in lovely Quito area after time in the Galapagos Islands. We booked a one-day tour with Pajonal Tours to see some of the surrounding countryside and the Otavalo market town. Our guide Ximena picked us up on time at our hotel near Plaza Foch, and we spent the entire day sightseeing north of the city. We crammed a lot into our long day and Ximena was a safe and conscientious driver. She was enjoyable to visit with; though her English was somewhat hesitant, she tried her best. If I had to change anything it would be to have tried to see less and get out and hike more.

Date of experience: April 2014
2  Thank LKRider
JonDRussell, General Manager at Pajonal Tours, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2014

Thanks for taking the time to write a review, we're very pleased you enjoyed your time with us. We will also take steps to give Ximena more confidence in her English and will work with her to become 100% fluent. Thanks again.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

We had 4 days in Quito after traveling to the Galapagos. Maria was was very helpful and patient with me right from the beginning as we kept changing our plans pretty much up to the last minute. I was traveling with my 90 year old parents and we spoke little to no Spanish. Our first 2 tours were with Guillermo where we toured Quito/Middle of the World one day and Otavalo the next (highly recommend the animal market in Otavalo). The 3rd day our guide was Angel where we traveled to Mindo. A private tour is definitely the way to go, we were able to go at our own pace and skip or add things we were interested in. Both guides spoke excellent English and were very knowledgeable of the area and history. They also took very good care of my 90 year old father who had some trouble getting around at times. Overall great experience and would definitely call Maria again!

Date of experience: April 2014
2  Thank GigiS158

Thanks for taking time to add such a great review for us Gigi. We're very happy that you and your parents had such a great time with us - and the animal market at Otavalo is a great spectacle to see. We hope you all come back some day to see some more of this amazing country - maybe take an Amazon cruise. And naturally, repeat customers are also eligible for a discount!

Reviewed January 24, 2014

I plan a trip for my mother once per year. This one was by far one of the easiest to plan due to the help of Maria from Pajonal Tours. She gave me a lot of prompt advice via E-mail and created the exact tour I wanted for my mother. She even went to the hotel I had chosen for Mom in Quito to ensure it was up to par. She started her trip with Ivan who was by far the best guide my mother has ever had. He spent two awesome days driving her to Baños then back to Quito the following day. He was very informative, attentive and went out of his way to ensure she had a great experience. Mom then flew to Cuenca and was met for a half day city tour which was so so, but the second day she was met by Wilson, another great guide set up by Maria who took her to the beautiful Cajas National Park (another one of Maria's recommendations). Nowadays in the age of cell phones, it's hard to find a guide who isn't constantly distracted by texting and incoming calls. It's also difficult to get some guides to understand one is not interested in shopping or going to yet another friend's money making business. Fortunately Ivan and Wilson were not that kind of guide, just as Pajonal tours promised. I will definitely be sending more business their way.

Date of experience: January 2014
1  Thank Stephanie S
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I found Pajonal Tours on TA and began communication without hesitation after reading all the positive reviews. Maria has great English, was very quick to respond to emails and provided options/ feedback for airport transport and tours of Quito and the surrounding area. We ended up booking 2 airport transports and the Historic Quito Tour, as we only had one day and were concerned about altitude and available time. We never met Maria personally. Tours/transport seem to be subbed out, and full payment is requested by Paypal in advance of arrival.

Our provided guide, Angel, was fairly timely in picking us up from the airport upon arrival to Quito. We wandered about for 15 minutes after clearing customs/baggage pickup and finally connected. The drive from the new airport to the hotel is a good hour+, but Angel described the area and changes to roads and traffic that everybody was adjusting to. It was late, 2100, but Angel knew the area well, found our hotel in Old Town quickly and introduced us to hotel staff upon entry (Nice).

Angel picked us up again from our hotel in old town (Hotel Plaza Sucre) at 0800 to begin our agreed upon day tour. We visited the Virgin del Panecillo early to get clear views and beat the crowds. Then we headed out of town to Pululahua Volcano, the Middle of the World Monument, and back into town for multiple churches and plazas. As we were staying in Old Town, it was nice parking nearby, walking around the area with an informed citizen and ending close to our hotel (Nice).

It was clear our guide had great pride and knowledge of the area. Our tour of the Middle of the World included an in-depth overview of the area's peoples through history on all floors of the museum. Later he stopped to show us some big Qui cooking and many churches and plazas in historical Old Town. So many beautiful sites, just amazing! We had requested a stop for lunch, however our guide seemed to want to end the day at 2 pm. We said we would treat him, but he never stopped. We were hungry, especially walking past many shops and bakeries! But we ultimately called it a day and decided to just get an early dinner. We tipped our guide and mutually stated we would meet again one week later for hotel pickup/transport back to the Quito airport (Mostly Nice).

(I had decided in advance to book alternate transportation for our amazon itinerary.)

One week later, after returning from the Amazon late the night before, we waited at the Marriot for agreed 0315 pickup/transport to the airport. Maria stated a 0315 pickup was necessary for our 0700 flight to Lima due to mandatory 3 hours for international departures. We ultimately had to catch a private cab, which was slightly more than the Pajonal fee and made it to the airport with minimal time to spare. We had tried calling Maria for a rescue, but of course, did not get an answer at 0330 in the morning! (Not so nice).

The next day, we got several emails from Maria and Angel apologizing for a missed alarm. It's Ok. Things happen. I'm just happy the Marriot was able to quickly accommodate us in our need for a ride to the airport. Maria quickly refunded us her transportation charge. We would recommend Pajonal Tours and use them again if in Ecuador. They seem to offer a wide variety of interesting tours. Maybe tip at the very end - "to insure promptness".

Date of experience: August 2013
2  Thank returnmetokaneohe
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We wanted to make the most of our one day in Quito, so we arranged a private guide through Pajonal Tours. In organizing our day, Maria Vallejo (phone 09944105) was very very helpful. She accomodated the things we wanted to do and suggested a range of alternatives for other optional acitivites to do and see. She set us up with a personal and very professional guide, Daniel Bolanos (0984895229). We spent a great day with Mr. Bolanos. He was very personable, patient and exceptionally well versed in Quito's history, people, sights and when we requested lunch at a local restaurant, he took us to a great spot for ceviche and an assortment of delicious local fare. You can see more in a day with a guide than on your own in three or four, plus you'll get a better understanding of Quito and it's surroundings.

Date of experience: July 2013