“As Close To Perfect As You Can Get”
Review of Community Hostel

Community Hostel
Ranked #1 of 271 Specialty Lodging in Quito
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Admittedly when I first came here I was a bit nervous particularly due to what I had heard about the surrounding area. However, if that was even an issue, which it wasn't, it was well made up for by the hospitality, thoroughness and attention to detail displayed by the staff. Ovi was exceptional in planning my 4 day excursion to the Amazon and the hostel staff also ensured that Omar was there to pick me up at the airport upon my return. In addition, he not only took notice of me being hungry but also stopped at a spot serving very authentic and tasty Ecuadorian fare.

The hostel itself has a very pleasant decor as well as a nice security system. The dining room is also ideal for meeting and mingling with other travelers. Speaking of dining, the staff are also very good cooks as a different entree was served each night for a measly $5 ($2 extra for a glass of wine). The staff was also quite accommodating to my picky tastes (I'm not a big cheese fan) and were able to satisfy my fussy requirements. Also, in one area there is a good amount of literature and info on excursions and travel ideas in the area, country, and continent.

A few other things to point out include Ovi providing a walking tour of Old Quito displaying vast knowledge. The tour included but wasn't limited to seeing the Presidential Palace as well as the President coming out and greeting everyone and the local market that served authentic Ecuadorian cuisine. There might have been an issue with the bathrooms, but I didn't have to wait more than 10 minutes. Sure the area isn't the best, but it is only a short walking distance to the main areas of Old Quito, which to me was far more interesting than the Mariscal District, and I never had a concern about security and, if I did, I would simply follow recommendations (and common sense) to use a cab.

I could go on but I'll sum it all up now. The hostel is clean and respectable, and the staff were extremely helpful and thorough in ensuring my needs were met. I honestly can't see myself giving this place any lower than 5 stars. Thank you for making my stay a very pleasant one and keep up the good work!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank nextmountaintoclimb
There are newer reviews for Community Hostel

Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

Had a great time at the Community Hostel. It's located in the Old Town which is beautiful to walk around of a day. The staff were super helpful, helped us organise tours and onward transport etc. We loved the walking tour! Food was delicious! And the beds probably the comfiest I have slept in in my 6 months travel! Only bad thing about the hostel has already been mentioned in other reviews and that is the lack of bathrooms. The staff are very aware of this. Apart from that I would highly recommend Community Hostel as would stay here again if in Quito.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cara P
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

this is the only hostel I've felt comfortable with walking around in only socks, the whole hostel just looks clean and nice. It has a lot of windows so it's always bright and you don't feel like you're being choked. The only minus is that there is only two toilets in the whole hostel which can be very inconvenient. Also there is not really a reception area and we really didn't know who worked there or not so don't be afraid of asking. They also don't accept credit card. But the whole complex is super nice, even my macho boyfriend said it was gorgeous haha

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elise Mikalsen S
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Had a blast in April while travelling with a friend. Super cozy and friendly atmosphere with communal dinners and breakfasts. Excellent location right next to Mercado Central and a walk to La Ronda (don't walk alone at night, but large groups are fine or it's a short taxi ride away). Clean rooms, great wifi and amazing crowed. Fun owners - they are doing a fantastic job! One recommendation - get more info on tours and connections with several tour agencies

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here a couple of nights with my partner and definitely had the community feel here. The hostel is in a great location and really gorgeous looking place. Stayed in private room that was huge and had great view of the city.
Place was very clean, good size bathroom. Shower had great power, although hot water was a bit off and on I think if tap was used in kitchen.
Beer was well priced and enjoyed a board game with beers, some other travellers and also the great trio from Australia that were working at the hostel.
Only managed to have one breakfast as early start for Cotopaxi hike but the one we did have was great and flavoursome.
Only shame was couldn't stay longer and would definitely stay again.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 29, 2013

We had a brilliant, sadly short, stay at Community Hostel. Their ethics are inspiring and welcome unparalleled. We were only there for 2 nights and would have loved to stay longer if timing allowed. We have been on the road for 3 months through the States and South America and have not enjoyed a hostel more. The breakfast is excellent and well worth the price, which is extremely reasonable. Dinner is also available for a low cost and absolutely delicious. The employees, volunteers and fellow travellers were super friendly and helpful. We spent many an hour trading tips and tales.

I have had trouble sleeping in the uncomfortable beds in South America, but the beds here are excellent, I slept straight through both nights. There is a locakable draw under the beds which is convenient and secure and much better than noisy metal lockers.

There are only 2 bathrooms, but I never had to queue and the hostel was at full capacity. I know this is something the team are aware of as an inconvenience, but it really isn't a big deal.
Communication is the key here, if there was an issue I believe it would be addressed respectfully and openly.

As a couple, and a bit older than most of the other travellers we found everyone to be mature, fun, friendly and open. The hostel has the right balance for partying and chilling, making activities an tours available for all. They do everything they can to make your experience of Quito and the hostel as economically sound (for you and the community) and excellent as they can.

I honestly can't sing the praises of this place enough. This is how businesses, not just hostels, should be run.

Thanks so much Marco and team. We hope to see you again!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Absolutely loved my stay at Community Hostel! I can't say enough about the hostel and their staff. All very friendly, helpful and have a wide range of knowledge about Ecuador and Quito. Very welcoming!! About the hostel... under bed lockers for your valuable is a +++, great location- walking distance or very small taxi fare to many attractions that Quito has to offer, great atmosphere, bathrooms and common areas are always spotless! Thanks Guys!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo