“A Home Away from Home”

Ranked #1 of 258 Specialty Lodging in Quito
Salem, Oregon
“A Home Away from Home”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

From the time you arrive at the Community Hostel, you feel like you are among friends. The genuine warmth of the staff is immediately evident. There is warm coffee waiting and a friendly atmosphere where travelers from near and far are gathering in the common rooms using wifi and talking about their adventures. The hostel itself is clean and tastefully updated and decorated. There are optional meals you can enjoy for a reasonable price that rival the best restaurants in town. The staff is ready and able to set up any tours you might be interested in, with knowledgable guides and trustworthy drivers. In addition to the amazing staff and surroundings, it is located in the historic part of Quito and there is so much incredible history within a short walk.
We were sad to go, but know we will be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We spent the first two days of our trip to Ecuador at Community Hostel. Omar's airport pickup was courteous and efficient, and he stopped at a lovely viewpoint for us to take pictures on the way to the Hostel. I recommend using this service as a convenience, especially if you are a first time visitor to Quito, and/or arrive at night.

We stayed 2 nights in a private room, which was spacious and clean. The bed was comfortable. We did not have towels the first day, and we actually went looking to purchase some nearby, with no luck. Fortunately, we only needed to ask, and lovely towels were indeed provided. So, if you need something at Community Hostel, be sure to just ask - they have lots of resources available.

Eating breakfast with other travelers and hearing other travel experiences was a great part of our experience there. Marco gave us some fantastic advice that caused us to change our plan and rent a car earlier in our trip around Ecuador than we had initially planned. His advice was spot on, and we are so glad we had those conversations around the table. The staff seems to check in with each guest at this time to offer suggestions and tips as needed. Take advantage of that.

We enjoyed walking all over Old Town and to El Parque Itchimbia (a steep climb, but a nice park - great views!). We enjoyed visiting historic sites and seeing the city. We walked many places, and we used taxis at night and for further distances. We found that $5 was the minimum taxi ride we could get, but this was for places beyond the Old Town center.

We felt safe, and we were admitted into the hostel quickly when we rang the buzzer. As other posters have indicated, the main downside is that there aren't enough bathrooms for the number for beds, so there is a wait at times. The floors in the bathroom also get very wet and slippery. Be careful! I'd suggest a squeegee in there as a help.

Community Hostel is a great value. I wish Marco and his team all the best as they continue to grow and improve.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 7, 2013

After traveling throughout Ecuador for 3 months, I came to Community Hostel on the reccomendation of another travler to re-group. Not only, was I met with exceptional hospitality, I genuinely felt like I was entering someone's home. The rooms are clean. The showers are hot. The company is fabulous. There is hot coffee (actual real coffee, not instant) at all times of day, wine for sale and always a table full of people. It truly is a community.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Grande Prairie, Canada
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Staff are really helpful, knowledgeable, and hard working. Breakfasts and suppers are well worth the price! Because of meals and WiFi being available only in common areas, there tends to be a fair amount of guest interaction. The additional kitchen for guest use also seems well equipped. I loved large rooms with big windows, and street noise isn't excessive, if you don't go to bed too early. Each of the two large bathrooms handles only one person at a time, which means they are overused. In this neighborhood, going out alone at night is not advisable. In the daytime, the nearby market is just fine! The hostel is very close to all forms of Quito public transport. (Staff are full of information on transportation and safety. A driver is appointed to ferry guests; dependable, skillful, and doesn't overcharge.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Very welcoming and friendly hostel. A small hostel which gave a cosy vibe. Great cheap breakfast and dinners, on my second night we all sat around the table and had dinner together which was really nice. Helpful English speaking staff. Wifi was okay too and shared bathroom was clean enough.

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
quito
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I have had the chance of staying at Community Hostel three times through out my travels in Ecuador and Peru. The first two times I stayed during the beginning of my trip were awesome! There was always music playing and I felt like I was back home hanging out with my friends at my own very own house! The staff was just so welcoming and informative specially the three Americans from Oregon. However, the last time I stopped at the hostel before flying back to Canada was just weird. There was a change in staff or something and the hostel really just did not feel the same.

The new staff was friendly and the food was still great but I just didn't feel like I was at home any more. Before where I felt like I was a part of the community of the hostel this time I just felt like... well another traveler. Don't get me wrong, its still a nice clean place but I just cant help but feeling like its changed, if the prices were not so high I might have felt differently, but I came for the atmosphere and it just wasn't there any more.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Wanderingheart88
Texas
Reviewed June 18, 2013

awesome place, it is so nice that its a bit incredible that we are still paying hostel prices

the people who work here are incredibly friendly, and there is legitimately a sense of community here. the only downside is that the immediate surrounding neighborhood gets a bit seedy later at night, and it takes a while sometimes for someone to answer the door, but i know that they are installing a buzzer so that should be much better soon.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo