“Awesome Atmosphere!”
Review of Community Hostel

Community Hostel
Ranked #1 of 272 Specialty Lodging in Quito
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We stayed here for a number of days and loved it. While it's a bit more expensive than others, we thought it was totally worth it - the beds were really good, the common area clean and new - and the staff were SO helpful and friendly. It was one of the best we came across in all of south america. The only drawback was the bathroom situation (only one per floor), which they acknowledge is a problem and are working on fixing. If you're sick, then maybe choose somewhere else, but otherwise it's definitely worth staying here. Very highly recommended!!

Room Tip: there is a really nice double room upstairs with a view of the cathedral
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Community Hostel

Reviewed January 28, 2013

These guys are awesome! The Hostel was in the historic district, which had a market down the street, everything for a great price. The hostel people made us some amazing food and made it so that we were comfortable. Showers, cozy beds, really filling meals, movies... it was pretty rad.

Thanks for an awesome experience, what a nice break to come back to the Hostel after a long day of mountaineering!

Room Tip: Only two rooms with one bed, but you're at a hostel, so meet knew people!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 28, 2013

The service here was phenomenal! Anything I needed including food, drinks, directions,cab, bus, etc. the staff sincerely helped me with whatever I was trying to accomplish. I always slept great the beds were very comfortable and always clean. Location was awesome just a short walk from multiple parks, the Plaza Grande and Plaza San Francisco. The food alone is worth the stay. Not sure if it was required that the staff went to culinary school or what but if you want a delicious cheap breakfast or an excellent dinner with a cold beer they will provide. Also both balconies provide incredible views of the city. Basically its cheap, comfortable, clean, hospitable, has a great view and delicious food. The best place i stayed my entire 3 weeks in Ecuador.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I paid $12.50 USD for a bed in a 4 person dorm, which was double what I paid for every single other hostel I stayed in during my time in Ecuador and Peru. I opted to stay here my last night and splurge (thinking it would be great for double the price I had been paying for nice places). The main problems were that there is only ONE BATHROOM per floor (of two floors......). So hope you don't get sick or really have to pee EVER while you're here, because there is a CONSTANT and long bathroom line. It seems absurd to have the number of beds they have per floor for only one bathroom. Additionally, the WiFi never worked for me, which was another reason I booked this hostel. It IS very clean, but lack of bathrooms and super crappy WiFi made me seriously wonder why anyone would pay double to stay here.... You also have to pay for breakfast, which I've never had to do at all the other half-price hostels (I heard it was better than average breakfast however, thought I never got to try it because it ends at 9:30am). In summary, it's nice looking and clean, but should cost $6 or less, like all the other similar hostels that actually had bathrooms and WiFi.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Amy H
Marco_FQuito, Manager at Community Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

We apologize profusely for the bathroom situation within the hostel. We are very aware of the inconvenience that comes along with not having ample bathroom space. The staff living in the hostel must also deal with this problem, and all we can do is ask for everyone's patience and understanding until an additional bathroom can be installed. If possible, please plan showers to avoid the busy morning and night time rushes. We are currently working to solve the bathroom problem. The issue is that Old Town Quito is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and as such is under certain protections. One of these protections is that buildings within Old Town Quito (such as Community Hostel) may not be altered. In order to make alterations to the hostel, we must submit a formidable amount of paperwork and obtain the necessary permits from the municipality. We have submitted our proposal and blue prints, and now are simply waiting for our permits. The bureaucratic system in Quito moves very slowly, so for the time being the issue is out of our hands. That being said, allow me the pleasure to explain Community Hostel's soon-to-come bathroom expansion!

We will be converting one of our 4-bed dorm rooms (located adjacent to the bathrooms) into a large, co-ed bathroom, with three individual toilet stalls, three individual shower stalls, three individual sinks, mirrors, and electrical outlets. The division of the showers and toilets will allow complete privacy. The new bathroom, in addition to the bathrooms currently present, will alleviate the long lines that can sometimes occur in the mornings and evenings. We have heard and heeded the complaints of our guests, and are willing to sacrifice one of our rooms to provide further comfort.

As to the WiFi issues, we experienced some service fluctuations for about three days, including the one night you stayed with us. We apologize for that inconvenience. The connection has since been fixed.

We recommend all our guests to please read over our website and reviews prior to making a reservation with us. We feel that there is no hostel in Ecuador that provides the same quality of service, cleanliness of facilities, or comfort of environment for our price range, much less for half our price. Additionally, it is explained on our website that breakfast is not included, and that breakfast ends at 9:30am. We apologize if this falls outside of your sleeping schedule. This time frame it is necessary so that the morning shift may have the kitchen cleaned and their duties finished by the time the afternoon shift begins.

As always, we appreciate your feedback. Best of luck to you in your future travels!

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I stayed more then 15 hostels in south america during 1.5 month and the community hostel was the best.. the young owners Marco and Rene and also the volunteer Luis Escobar were very friendly and helpful guys.. perfect hospitality , comfort dormitories, higenic bathrooms, nice and cheap breakfast and dinner offers.. simply we felt very comfort..

Room Tip: 4 beds or 6 beds dormitories are very good. there are also private room with reasonable price..
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank levoletti
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Easily one of the best hostels in South America. A few minutes walk from Plaza Grande and Plaza San Francisco, the Community Hostel excels in service. Want to book a mountain bike trip in Papallacta or Cotapaxi? How about a flight and tour of the Galapagos? The management and staff of this place can connect you with the right people. One area where the Community Hostel excels is its low-cost breakfasts and dinners, not to mention the good wine that it has on sale. This hostel's other strong point is the management and staff's ability to make everyone feel like family, to get people of all ages and from every part of the world to communicate over meals or drinks.

The dorm rooms, bathrooms and common areas are clean and well maintained, as is the common kitchen area and the second floor lounge.

Do ask Marco and Nathan about the fish bowl drinks at The Bungalow Club.

Room Tip: Don't take one of the top bunks if you plan on a night of drinking. It's a long way down.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Bluehawkdancing
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I was down there climbing for about a month during the holidays and leading into the beginning of January. I stayed at Community Hostel during my downtime. They are super hospitable; quick to help you out with transportation and answering any questions regarding location of places in the historic district and the Mariscal. They stored my excess gear between trips to the mountains. Meals were very affordable and much more appetizing than your typical breakfast found in the neighboring community. They even held a feast on Christmas Eve, distracting me from the fact that I was spending Christmas away from the family. In fact, they are more or less extended family after my short time there.

Room Tip: Private room upstairs has the best view of all the rooms. Dorm accommodations are perfectly comfort...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends