“Great great hostel”
Review of Community Hostel

Community Hostel
Ranked #1 of 285 Specialty Lodging in Quito
Reviewed December 5, 2012

The hostel is right close to centro historico, which is cool, but what really makes this hostel is the guys who run it! The hostel is near brand new, so needless to say, the mattresses are super comfortable and everything is very clean. There are full kitchens on each floor, but again, it's the guys who run it that make it great! They are super helpful, friendly and funny! I wish they had a hostel in every city I traveled to.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Eelnybor
Marco_FQuito, Owner at Community Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

HI!

Well lets just say that we are opening another hostel in April in a town called Alausi which is on the way to Cuenca! You should come back and check that one out too! Thanks so much for the review!

Reviewed December 5, 2012

I booked and arrived at Community Hostel already well aware of their reputation, through Facebook and the slew of stellar reviews on Trip Advisor. One might say I came to Quito in part just so I could experience Community Hostel. This is the best hostel I have ever had the pleasure of staying.

I arrived early in the morning, far before check-in time, having suffered some annoying flight/layover combinations, and Marco fixed me up with a tasty breakfast full of fresh local foods and gave me a knowledgeable rundown on the hostel, the city, attractions, life, and all that random stuff you can talk about to pass the multiple hours until the room is ready. Obviously, the personal attention they provide to their patrons is second to none.

Aptly named, Community Hostel is set up perfectly to create a community feel among the guests. Everyone can sit around the big table by the kitchen at any time of day and swap adventure stories, life events, travel secrets, and plan days/nights out with these new friends that they inevitably make in this short time. Travelling alone, this was a welcomed occurrence. I went out clubbing with one guest, then mountain biking with another. That brings me to the other "community" aspect. The guys at the hostel are already well-connected to the community. They have a growing list of good "hook-ups" for deals on different activities and excursions. I mentioned mountain biking, but they also know a guy that can set you up with trips to the Galapagos and plenty of other activities if you're interested. They also have a personal driver, who can guarantee not to screw you on cab fare, as some of the local cab drivers might do if you're not careful. Basically, they're well-connected, which is what you'd want from a hostel.

In short, they exceeded my already high expectations, and, although I was only there for a short time, they've already guaranteed my return to Quito.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Kyfly88

Thanks for the review there kyfly! We really enjoyed having you around and look forward to meeting up again with you somewhere in this world!

Reviewed November 27, 2012

I stayed at this hostel a couple of times. It is very clean and the people that run it are helpful. Internet is fast in the common areas. There is a kitchen for guest use and also a second kitchen which is used to cook breakfast and dinner (which are both good and offered for an additional cost.)

The first time I stayed in a private room. It was the nicest private room I had in Ecuador, with lots of light and a comfy bed. However, there was a shared bathroom down the hall.

The second time I stayed in a dor, which was also nice. The beds were big and the mattresses very good for bunk beds. There were locked drawers underneath for personal belongings.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Billie B

Thanks so much for the review! We are glad we made your stay a great one!

Reviewed November 26, 2012

absolutely great place, the people are all super helpful, friendly and knowledgeable, dinner is scrumptious, we had a thankgiving special when we were there and it was absolutely delicious!! Beds are super comfy and the showers are the type that you never want to get out of because they are that good (this is a rarity in south america!). Well done boys you have done a fantastic job with this place, I really look forward to when I get the chance to go back!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Katie!

Lets just say we are all waiting for your return! And I guess you are the reason our water bill went up so high, I guess the showers are just that good!

Reviewed November 25, 2012

The Community Hostel was the first place that we stayed on our trip to South America. The driver came to pick us up from the airport and was not only really friendly, but took us on the scenic route with a beautiful view over the city.

We stayed at the hostel for our first week in one of their private rooms. It is well located for exploring the old town and right near a bus stop where you can catch a bus to the new town. It is also right by a market where all of your food needs can be met! We ate dinner and breakfast in the hostel most of the tim and the meals were great, especially the breakfasts which always included fruit, eggs and some sort of bread.

We went off to explore the area for a week or so and then came back to the hostel for a few more days. Having visited other hostels in the area during that time we came to really appreciate the hot water, clean facilities and comfy beds of the Community Hostel all the more!

As I told one of the staff there, I fear that you have raised our expectations too high and everywhere else will be rubbish in comparison!

Room Tip: Quito is a nosiy city. Whatever hostel you choose take ear plugs if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Marco_FQuito, Owner at Community Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Thank you so much to you both! It was a pleasure having you at the hostel and we hope you come back again since you will be in Ecuador for a while!

Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

The Community Hostel is run by a small group of young, friendly, ambitious and enthusiastic American/Ecuadorian guys who have put a lot of thought into getting things right.

My boyfriend and I stayed in one of the private rooms, which was by far the most luxurious of any of the rooms in the other hostels we've experienced during our journey through central and south America. The room was very spacious, the bed was extraordinarily comfortable (there was a lovely thick blanket to keep us toasty warm during the cold Quito nights, and the pillows are just the right level of softness) and there was plenty of closet space, which is wonderful if you've been living out of your backpack for months. The plush towels are on a par with any 5 star hotel (also great when you've been travelling for a while). The showers always have very hot water and the communal spaces (the bathrooms, kitchens and living rooms) are kept spotlessly clean.

I thought they had achieved the perfect balance of communal living and privacy- there's always the opportunity to hang out with others, but there are quiet spots too- and there's always someone on hand to assist with your questions. The hostel is perfectly located- it's just a few minutes walk into the very centre of Old Town Quito (where most of what you'll want to see is located) so we only needed a taxi a couple of times during our stay there.

Overall, I'd say the Community Hostel is an upmarket hostel- perfect for anyone who wants the hostel experience without having to rough it. We had a great time and wish them every success in future :)

• Stayed: November 2012
Marco_FQuito, Owner at Community Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Thanks so much Roshani! We hope that you were able to make it the coast, Banos, and Cuenca in time to catch your fight!

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I'm quite tired right now, so I can't be bothered to write a long review. However...
Seriously, this place is great! I couldn't quite believe all the positive reviews - but they were spot on. It's like living in a really comfy house, with lots of friendly people. We wanted to stay for longer, but had a flight to catch. Anyway, to summarise: you should stay here, it's amazing!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Tom! Ju Jitsu for life! thanks for the review and hopefully some day we can train together. (obviously when I get to your level)