“Great beer and sells poutine!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American, Canadian
Dining options: Lunch
Dining options: Lunch
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great beer and sells poutine!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Went there just for some home brew beers and didn't disappoint. They were fantastic and the menu looked great with the massive burgers and poutine. Unfortunately we had already eaten so didn't try the food but give it a go I say

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Pricey389

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tasty inexpensive bites, beer, and awesome service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

I came across this little place because I walked there on my way to school everyday, and kept wanting to peek in. There always seems to be balloons around the entrance, and it looks much smaller from the outside, but oh what big flavor! It is VERY difficult to find solid, quality affordable restaurant food in Quito, and this fits the bill! Most of the restaurants in Quito within Bohemio's price range lack flavor (or salt, for that matter) and quality. I was not disappointed by our first (ok make that first three - and certainly not last) trip(s).

The atmosphere is cool, but not "too cool." I brought my friend and her 65-year-old mother, and she loved it! (Just make sure anyone you take there can handle low stools with no backs.) It's dimmer than the outside, but you can still see your food (a plus for me!). The long narrow structure of the building and paying at the counter located at the back of the house creates an inviting atmosphere to see the passersby, and maybe start a chat about their travels or even plans for the night (seen it done)! I also like that they open at 11am for all of us gringos who are used to an "early" lunchtime.

The cheese burgers are definitely some of the juiciest in quito, served on toasted, sliced bread and come with well-seasoned potato wedges. Their in house mayonnaise is also quality...and slightly addictive. Although for the price I shouldn't be picky, but as a french fry lover I would love to see some more "authentic" ketchup. Also, the more burgers you buy, the cheaper they get! (Just look up on their chalkboard menu!)

For those veggies out there, I have also had the veggie burger. It is made from quinoa (one of my fav kinds of veggie burgers), but I don't remember what other ingredients. I will say I prefer the meat burger as I feel like the veggie burger could use a little more salt and a few more spices, but all in all it was cooked well, and when they run a burger special they always include the veggie as the option, too!

Lastly on the consumption category: the beer! I am so glad they have microbrews! Also very few in Quito. They make their own beer, and there always seems to be two on rotation. I have had the bitter, a hef type, and a red. They are all solid quality beer with really nice flavor, and being from the Northwest United States, it's nice to have a taste of home! I think my fav was the bitter. They are served in what appears to be 22 oz. pilsner glasses and for $4 it may seems steep, but compare that to the $4 you pay for a pint of microbrew elsewhere in the city and you've got yourself a deal - and in my opinion a tastier deal! I do wish they would offer them in a pint option, but since they bottle it up, I guess if you want less you'll have to share with a friend. :)

The owners are very friendly and inviting, and the service is superb! They put a lot of soul into Bohemio, and all I will definitely be back (a few times) before my Ecuadorian adventure ends.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank foodisdelightful
“Definitely going back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

I've lived in Quito for 4 months and this is by far my favorite restaurant I've been to! The couple who owns Bohemion en la Mariscal is so friendly, down to Earth and I got the impression that they really care about serving good-quality, delicious meals. I was very impressed with the food (the burgers are amazing) and the price was great too. I will for sure be going back at least once a week!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank FuIlBelIyBella
Quito
“I've finally found a real burger in Ecuador”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

If you're tired of wafer thin Ecuadorian hamburger patties, go to Bohemio (Bohemion is a typo). All their burgers are half pounders and about an inch thick. I got the King Kong which was about 7 inches high. The buns were two grilled cheese sandwiches, with 1/2 pound burger, bacon, pineapple, fried egg, and lettuce/tomato. Comes with fries. Also, they have Canada Dry, which isn't easy to come by in Quito. There's a lot more things I have to try here. The waiter/owner was super friendly and welcoming. It's got a good atmosphere. This was my second time here and I can't wait to go back.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank QuitoJohn
“It was great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 29, 2012

I went to this little place in the Mariscal, it is run by some Canadians and a professional chef, who were very nice, helpful and friendly. The atmosphere was down to earth, great music and great food. I would really say they have the best REAL BEEF BURGERS and BBQ WINGS. The prices are very affortable, the food is great quality. Lots of locals and foreighners can be seen there. Its a great secret place in Quito. A must go to place. The brownies, chocolates, icecreams and bonbons are to dye for. All there stuff is home made from the bread, to the burgers, to the sauces, to the chocolates. Its only open during the week and late at night it gets jammed. Get there early. They are on facebook. A great place to meet up with friends.

• Visited February 2012