La Casona de la Ronda Heritage Boutique Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsold townchocolate shoppedestrian streetlovely hotelspiral staircaseon friday and saturday nightsno liftfiltered waterboxed breakfastinside roomreading roombreakfasts were excellenthistoric districtcentral atriumlounge areapotato soupmain sights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 18, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights, at the end of our trip to the Galapagos Islands. The contrast could not have been greater. After 8 days of peace and quiet we were right in the middle of a vibrant old town centre. The experience was fantastic and the hotel staff could not do enough for us. The hotel is charming and located on a pedestrian only street in the charming Old Town area. it was easy to walk to all the Old Town attractions. We made our reservations with Llama Travel who were very efficient. Our room was clean, spacious and very comfortable. The included breakfast was very good each morning and again the staff very helpful. La Ronda is very lively at night on the weekends, so if you like bustle you will enjoy this hotel. We would recommend this to anyone and would certainly return again if in Quito.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bryan H
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Stayed multiple nights at this hotel as a solo female traveler. It was booked for me through my travel/tour agency. I was extremely pleased with the overall hotel, ambiance, comfort, and location. Pretty much every visitor while I was there was English speaking from the US, Canada, or Europe.

Location: La Ronda (Calle Morales) is a pedestrian street. Less than a block away is an entrance to an underground parking garage. While there is a police presence on the street, still need to be aware. And off of La Ronda it could get a little sketchy at night. Taxis can drop you off at the top and you can walk down the block to the hotel.

Staff: Warm, welcoming, most speak excellent English and those that do not appreciate conversation in your limited Spanish and their limited English.

Rooms: Very modern. Comfy beds, many pillows, comforters. Flat screen TVs. Alarm clocks. Reading lights at the beds. Sitting area of a small table and chairs. Tile floors. Windows that open out. Blackout shutters for sleeping in (absolute darkness). Very clean. Wardrobes instead of closets. Have in room safe.

Room 17 - king bed, end of floor, overlooking La Ronda. View of El Panecillo. Bright room. Noisy from the street but a very large and comfortable room.
Room 23 - two separate double beds and a day bed. Overlooks the courtyard. Bath has two sinks.

Baths: Modern. Showers with handheld or switch to large "rain" showerhead, glass walls in shower. Hot water and good water pressure. Multiple bath towels per person, hand towel, and wash cloths. Shampoo, conditioner (!), bar soap, shower cap, and lotion are provided. Hair dryers.

Noise: Yes, the rooms facing out and over La Ronda are very noisy even with the additional soundproofing. But that is a part of the charm. Weekends are noisy late and even during the week if you get the music makers with the guitar and the flute it will go on into the night. The front desk will rpovide ear plugs if you ask. The inside rooms overlooking the courtyard were noisy in the morning as they were prepping for the day. If you can sleep fine with noise, the outside rooms provide a great view and light.

Food and Drink: Breakfast, which many tour companies include, is great. Granola, cereal, yogurt, fruit juice, scrambled eggs, toast, bacon, cheese, meat, fruit, coffee, tea. AND they will custom make eggs and omlettes for you at no charge (if breakfast is included in your rate). The wine and cheese as mentioned is not complimentary and the wine is quite expensive. I did not try dinner at the restaurant.

Lobby: Need to ring in on the intercom at the front door, which is video monitored. Once in, plenty of sitting areas, a small desk with a computer with basic internet access. You can tell how it was an old grand house and renovated. No elevator, stairs only to the two separate floors.

If you are using the hotel as a base as you travel, they will store your luggage for you.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking La Ronda will be noisier due to the people, shops, bars, and music on the street but the rooms also provide a great view of the street action.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank jerseyshoredeb
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Imagine staying at a friend's hacienda and that is Casona de la Ronda. Brand new hotel on a winding pedestrian street lined with shops and restaurants. On the periphery of the historic district. Built to mimic a courtyard setting, the decor is designed to look old fashioned. Beds are huge and very comfortable. Down duvets. Excellent buffet breakfast. Water coolers in the hallway outside your room provide fresh drinkable water. Staff is super professional, providing every service - in English - you could wish for. Wish I had more time there.
A treat not to be denied.
Check out the sitting room at the top of the stairs - fabulous view!

Room Tip: I was in room 23. Roomy and quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Deirdre K
Reviewed January 24, 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights, 3 at the beginning of our trip and one in between our visits to the jungle and the highlands. The hotel is charming with a great location on a pedestrian only street in the charming Old Town area. it was easy to walk to all the Old Town attractions (museums, churches, etc. Highly recommend La Casa del Alabado for pre-Columbian art). We made our reservations directly, and the staff (Veronica in particular) was very accommodating and easy to work with. She arranged an airport transfer for our midnight arrival which made the front end of the trip easy and hassle free, made good suggestions on what to visit, etc. We found the hotel to be a great value. The rooms were spacious, very comfortable and clean. The included breakfast was great each morning and the seco chivo and corvina served for lunch in the restaurant were delicious. All the staff was very helpful. Aurelio in the breakfast room was super attentive, making us cappuccinos, making sure we had everything we needed, showing us where to pick up our cab, etc. Ramon in the kitchen was very friendly, inquiring about our jungle visit when we returned to Quito. The housekeeping staff was attentive and friendly as well. La Ronda is very lively at night on the weekends, so if you like bustle and activity, a room overlooking the street is very fun. If you want a quieter experience, ask for a room away from the street. A very positive experience… we would stay there again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Marie607
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Spent two nights here on my way to Urugay. The place has tons of charm and although a little dark, it feels warm and welcoming in there. The hotel messed up my airport transfers but promptly apologized when I arrived and offered me a nice bottle of wine as an apology. I was in room number 6, which faces the inner courtyard, which means ultra quiet. Actually, could not hear anything at all from my room, not even from the room above me, except when someone would take a shower in the room next to mine, then all hell would break loose, but fortunately that would be for no more than 10 minutes at a time, twice a day. My room had a private inner terrace with a small table and a couple of chairs, perfect spot to catch up on my emails. Internet quite reliable and fast enough. The only noise you hear from the terrace during the day is the screams and laughter coming from a school yard not too far away - the sound of children playing is the same all over the world, and it is a kind of music in its own right I guess... Very pleasant.
The staff (whether at breakfast or at reception) is lovely (and they even complimented me on my Spanish - which is REALLY bad!), and ultra helpful. Had dinner twice at the restaurant and each time I really enjoyed the food. I was sick on my last day here and they prepared a special "tummy tea" for me and let me keep my room until 3 PM so that I could rest and feel a bit better for my late flight to MVD.
The location is ideal if you want to be in the Centro Historico - you can pretty much walk easily everywhere in the old part of town from La Casona de la Ronda. I'd definitely want to stay here again next time I visit Quito. As warm a welcome as one can get, and a memorable stay. Thank you all! ;-)

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo