La Casona de la Ronda Heritage Boutique Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsold townchocolate shoppedestrian streetlovely hotelspiral staircaseon friday and saturday nightsno liftfiltered waterboxed breakfastinside roomreading roombreakfasts were excellenthistoric districtcentral atriumlounge areapotato soupmain sights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 30, 2012

In November 2012 we traveled for 3 weeks in Ecuador and stayed at this Hotel 3 times durning our visit. What a clean, nice place to stay. The staff can't help enough, rooms are large and quiet. The breakfast is wonderful! The Hotel is located in Old town and the area has lots of charm, and a short walk to the plaza Grande. We would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Location
I spent 3 weeks in Ecuador in November 2012 and used this small, boutique hotel as my base whilst in Quito, between visiting the Galapagos, Termas de Papallacta and Bellavista. The hotel is located in the Old Town and is just a short walk from the Plaza Grande with all the main tourist attractions of La Compania, Palacio Municipal, Palacio Presidencial and San Francisco. It is also an easy walk to La Basilica and on to the Mariscal if you wish to visit the New Town, or you can take a taxi for a few dollars. It’s worth noting that the Old Town is safer than the New. It has a significant police presence, on almost every street corner, and it is very safe for tourists. The New Town is not as safe and, as a single traveller, this hotel was an excellent choice for me and meant I could go out and sightsee without worry. There is also excellent security at the hotel itself, with an intercom entry system so no parts of the hotel can be accessed by non-guests.

The hotel is located on Morales at Calle de la Ronda and this street is known as the place to go in the Old Town on a Friday and Saturday night. Whilst this street attracts many of Quito’s youngsters at the weekend, you will also see families with small children and older relatives, all enjoying the party atmosphere and the live music. The rest of the week this street is completely quiet and you wouldn’t know that there are cafes and bars behind the closed doors. If you don’t want to join the party and are staying at Hotel de la Ronda on a Friday or Saturday night, simply ask for a room at the back where you won’t be disturbed. I recommend walking out and people watching at the weekend, it is a fascinating experience – the traditional snack is Empanadas and the local drink is Canalazo, a warm cinnamon tea with alcohol. Very nice!

Quito is almost 3000 metres above sea level so the altitude can be a problem for some travellers. I found that resting for the first morning of arrival and taking it easy when walking meant I didn’t suffer. I also drank plenty of water, even during the night, to keep hydrated. Ginger chews worked for the nausea and a couple of headache tablets sorted out the rest. By day 2 I was fine.

The hotel
Casona de la Ronda was outstanding for me for many reasons. All the staff employed here are fantastic. I can’t mention each and every one but must comment on the excellent assistance I received from the receptionists. They were so helpful sorting out my rooms for such a varied itinerary as well as giving me sound sight-seeing advice and even helping pack my case when I’d over-shopped at Otavalo market! The Manager is very hands on and I was grateful to him for organising for the chocolate shop to be opened on my last evening just for me to make my last minute purchases.

The hotel itself is beautiful, filled with hand-made furniture by local artisans. The décor is simple but stylish and gives the place a traditional, hacienda feel. There are only 2 floors and the rooms are arranged around the central atrium which looks down into the reception area. There is a small dining area and a lovely sitting room near reception, where you can also use a PC and printer with internet although the hotel also has wi-fi. There is a small outside courtyard with a wall of orchids. Not everyone finds the upstairs sitting room so don’t miss it. Go up the spiral staircase on the second floor you will find a magical room with a huge window overlooking Quito and the Panecilla (the statue of the Angel on the hill). When Quito is lit up at night this sitting room is wonderful, a great place to share a bottle of wine with fellow travellers.

The bedrooms are large, often with 2 queen sized beds with good quality white linens. All have a table and chairs, bench, chest, side tables, reading lamps and windows with shutters. The bathrooms have twin sinks and large, walk in showers with ample toiletries, hair dryer and thick, white bath towels. Each room has a large flat screen TV and plenty of accessible plug points to recharge cameras, phones etc.

There is a separate breakfast room off reception. Whilst it is self-service the waiters are attentive and bring your toast when it’s done and replenish your coffee etc. The breakfasts were excellent – cereals, fresh fruits, fruit juices, yogurt, teas, coffee, hot chocolate. Hot buffet – tamales, scrambled eggs, bacon, small sausages, warm croissants, selection of breads with marmalade and jam.

The hotel offers cheese and wine from 5pm every evening which consists of 2 glasses of your choice of wine and 5 local cheeses to try. Dinner is available until 10pm. I only had one snack at the hotel (which was good) but can’t really comment on the evening food as I never had a full meal there.

Try to remember to take a water bottle with you when travelling in Ecuador. The hotel has fresh filtered water coolers on each floor and you can fill your bottle up there. This saves on buying bottled water and the subsequent problem of disposing of plastics.

Overall
Casona de la Ronda has a lovely, welcoming feel and it’s staff make every effort to ensure your stay is as comfortable as possible. As a single traveller I felt secure and well looked after in this hotel. I would definitely stay here again and will be recommending it to friends and family.

Room Tip: If you stay at a weekend, ask for a room at the back.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank pumpernickelYork
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Spent 3 nights here at the end of our month in South America. It was absolutely amazing - the best hotel of our trip. For a small boutique hotel is could not be better. It is situated in the old pedestrian only area of the city, which in itself is very quaint. The service is absolutely first class and the staff go way beyond the call of duty to make sure that your stay is comfortable. Our room was beautiful, although we only had a standard room and it was spotlessly clean.
The building is an old colonial Spanish mansion and the rooms are on balconies above the main reception area. It is artistically decorated and has a warm and welcoming atmosphere throughout. The main door is on an entry system which is great as Quito does have a few problems with crime. There is also a viewing gallery on the top floor which has an amazing view of the Quito hillside at night.
The food in the evenings was delicious and beautifully served and the breakfasts were the best of our whole trip. I could not praise this hotel enough.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front might be a little noisy at night.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2012

What a fantastic experience, to walk through the sturdy double doors and find yourself in the Patio of a colonial Spanish mansion. Restored with care and artistic flourish, this really is a jewel in the heart of old Quito. Very reasonably priced, the staff are attentive and charming, the rooms are many and varied, all around the patio on the two upper balconies. Why would you want to spend your time in one of those soulless concrete clone hotels in the north of the city, when you can have this special authentic experience?

My only regret is the short time I had there, arriving late afternoon from the cloud forest, with an early morning flight to the Galápagos Islands the next day. I will certainly be looking up the lovely Jacqueline, on my next trip to Quito.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank AngleseyKev
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Great location for seeing the old town, beautiful hotel and rooms and fantastic staff. I managed to book the wrong week and when we arrived the staff did everything they could to rectify this even though it was my fault. From the moment we arrived, where they helped us with a taxi driver who was trying to charge the wrong fare, to transferring us to another hotel as they were fully booked for the 2nd night (they acted as if my mistake in booking the wrong week was somehow something they had to rectify!), they went above and beyond the call of duty. I would definitely go back here not just for the service but it really is a beautiful hotel to stay in and great value for money when you look at comparably priced
hotels.