Hotel Boutique Portal de Cantuna
  • Breakfast included
$118
$104
Travelocity
All reviewsplaza san franciscoold townconverted conventtea roomeggscentral courtyardhistoric quitoperfect locationfamily run hotelsmall restaurantcommon areasold housewooden floorswe loved our stayliving roomhistoric arealight sleeper
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We started and ended our Ecuadorean adventure at this hotel. It is a lovely historic building, with rooms surrounding a common area. They always had tea and a snack available in the upstairs area. The hotel is run by a family, and Sonia made us feel like we were part of the family. The room rate includes a wonderful breakfast. The location is fabulous and in walking distance to the entire Old Town area. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed here two nights either end of a trip to the cloud forest.This historic old building is conveniently located just off San Fransisco Plaza at the heart of the Historic Centre of Quito.The friendly owner and her family are rightly proud of their family home which they have converted to a comfortable hotel with guest rooms decorated in a rustic style and kept very clean.Food at the adjacent restaurant is tasty and reasonably priced.
The only downside of visiting this part of Quito is the traffic. Allow up to two hours to reach the airport at peak times for a journey which only takes 40 minutes late at night when the roads are clear(and the taxi driver thinks he's Ayrton Senna!)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is a family owned and run hotel in the heart of the Quito Centro Historico. What we really value is the friendly ambiance at the hotel, the numerouse places in the patio and on the 2nd floor for reading and sharing, their colection of books and albums and the welcome of the host. The value for the quality and the location is excellent!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Great, friendly hotel with amazing shared spaces. Owners can't do enough to help you; location is great just off the Pl de San Francisco and the house is spectacular. Also very good restaurant downstairs. Note that not all rooms have external windows (many are towards the internal courtyard. I don't think it matters when there are so many lovely, bright but traditional common rooms to hang out in. though. Exceptional value for money.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights and really enjoyed our stay. The building has a lot of character; the rooms are on the small side for the most part, although my husband and I got the largest room. We were originally in a small room but were moved to the big room after our first night at the suggestion of the staff. There are plants everywhere and lots of natural light in the common area in the middle. Lots of seating, a bookshelf with books to read, lots of interesting decor. The wifi was on the weak side but worked. Rooms were clean, shower had good pressure with plenty of hot water. TV was small and didn't have great reception, but I wasn't in Quito to watch TV so that wasn't a big deal to me. Both of the beds I slept in were very comfortable with a really plush comforter. Perfect location right next to San Francisco in the old town.

The breakfast was good; eggs, bread, fruit (I discovered a new fruit I'd never had-grenadilla), fresh juice and coffee, tea or hot chocolate. We also ate dinner two of the nights at the restaurant owned by the family that breakfast is served in. Excellent meal both nights.

The best part of this place is the staff. They were all incredibly friendly and helpful. We had trouble being double billed by a nearby restaurant (credit card didn't go through then was charged later in the day after we'd left-we paid cash at the restaurant when the credit card wouldn't go through). They knew the owners of the restaurant so credited us what we were doubled billed and took it off our hotel bill, planning to later be reimbursed by the restaurant. This is a wonderful family run hotel, and I can't say enough good things about it. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone visiting Quito and will definitely stay here again if I return to Quito.

Room Tip: Room 1 is nice and very large but does have some more street noise because it has several windows.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple