“Incredibly helpful staff, charming B&B”

Hotel Boutique Portal de Cantuna
Ranked #7 of 247 Quito B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights and really enjoyed our stay. The building has a lot of character; the rooms are on the small side for the most part, although my husband and I got the largest room. We were originally in a small room but were moved to the big room after our first night at the suggestion of the staff. There are plants everywhere and lots of natural light in the common area in the middle. Lots of seating, a bookshelf with books to read, lots of interesting decor. The wifi was on the weak side but worked. Rooms were clean, shower had good pressure with plenty of hot water. TV was small and didn't have great reception, but I wasn't in Quito to watch TV so that wasn't a big deal to me. Both of the beds I slept in were very comfortable with a really plush comforter. Perfect location right next to San Francisco in the old town.

The breakfast was good; eggs, bread, fruit (I discovered a new fruit I'd never had-grenadilla), fresh juice and coffee, tea or hot chocolate. We also ate dinner two of the nights at the restaurant owned by the family that breakfast is served in. Excellent meal both nights.

The best part of this place is the staff. They were all incredibly friendly and helpful. We had trouble being double billed by a nearby restaurant (credit card didn't go through then was charged later in the day after we'd left-we paid cash at the restaurant when the credit card wouldn't go through). They knew the owners of the restaurant so credited us what we were doubled billed and took it off our hotel bill, planning to later be reimbursed by the restaurant. This is a wonderful family run hotel, and I can't say enough good things about it. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone visiting Quito and will definitely stay here again if I return to Quito.

Room Tip: Room 1 is nice and very large but does have some more street noise because it has several windows.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Based on the pictures of the hotel I expected better rooms but ours was just ok. What I didn't like was the fact that the reservation said flat screen tv and the tv was an old school model with bad reception so we weren't able to see anything on the tv. The bed was on the smaller side and the less comfortable side too. The good thing was the shower lots of hot water coming out. Breakfast was very good too. The location is their best asset

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my family for 3 nights. It was a great location, right in the historical center of Quito and an easy walk to many great sights! The service was great, they even scheduled a taxi pickup for us to go to the airport without us having to ask! There is also an included breakfast. The rooms are nice, but nothing extravagant. I would recommend to anyone looking for a place to stay in Quito!

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Perfect location near Plaza San Francisco in historic center. Rooms basic but clean. Ask for room on first floor since they are bigger. Charming public area. WiFi was a little weak at times but always available. Breakfast nice with lovely server who remembered how I liked my eggs. Service was outstanding. Family owned and run and they could not be nicer. Helpful in every way from getting taxis to setting up day tours.

Room Tip: Down stairs rooms are bigger or corner.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank kmg126
Reviewed May 16, 2013

we stayed for a couple of nights back in August of 2012 on our way to and back from Galapagos. This place has a lot of character and is run by Brian and his family who inherited this property from their ancestors. Highly recommend. Located in old town and within walking distance to a lot of the attractions nearby.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 13, 2013

By now you will probably have read a number of reviews of this hotel, as we had before we booked it. It seems everyone (or mostly everyone) thinks it is wonderful, and the staff are wonderful, etc., etc., etc. Well the reviews are correct! The Boutique Hotel Portal de Cantuña is a fabulous place, with a terrific staff in a great location. We arrived by taxi from the airport - which took about an hour as the driver had a very hard time finding the place even though I provided him with a map. The hotel is located on a reasonably narrow but busy street just around the corner from San Francisco square (a definite stop on any visitors list). But the hotel is set back quite a distance from the street so you escape all of the street noise once inside. As many other reviewers have noted, the hotel used to be a convent and it has been restored without ruining its past. With only 12 rooms it is not a large facility but it truly is a wonderful place to stay if you would like to be right in the middle of the historic section of Quito. The rooms are very basic and quite dark so don't expect to sit in bed and read at night. The bathrooms are small but they work just fine. Again, this is not the Ritz but it is a very comfortable hotel and very well priced.

The restaurant that is affiliated with the hotel provides breakfast each morning (included with the price of the room) and you can have eggs done as you like them along with rolls, fruit, coffee/tea, juice, etc. The restaurant also serves dinner and we thought our meals were very good and well priced. For those who would prefer to eat in other restaurants, there is a large selection within easy walking distance.

Finally, most reviewers have commented on the friendliness and helpfulness of the owners and I would be remiss if I did not do the same. There is always someone there to welcome you, to provide help and advice or just to talk to. It has more of the feel of a B&B where guests can sit and chat with other travellers and share stories about their trip. This is a hotel that I would return to without hesitation if I were ever to return to Quito.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Just round the corner of San Francisco square Portal de Cantuna is ideally positioned to visit Quito old town. It is located in an old charming Quitean house, still with its original furniture and decorations. The hotel is a family business run by Sonia and by her son, both extremely helpful and kind. The price is very attractive, also in light of the rich breakfast it includes.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple