“Guanguiltagua Tour Outside Quito”

Guanguiltagua Expeditions
Ranked #10 of 86 Outdoor Activities in Quito
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Proudly Ecuadorian owned and runned! At Guanguiltagua we like to do things in your way. We specialize in tailoring extensive trips, day trips and Galapagos experiences that suit the needs and budget of the contemporary travellers. We like to take you where the typical tourists don't go, we will make you see what the typical tourists won't. Discover the Real Ecuador, Peru and Galapagos with us....
Reviewed June 14, 2012

After spending a week in the Galapagos, we stayed in Quito for about 4 days. We wanted to use one of the days to explore outside the city, so my mother had located Ganguilagua tours and made a reservation with them. They worked with us via email to plan our day beforehand to do what we wanted to do and fit our schedule. Our guide, Hugo, was fantastic. He spoke great english and explained things to us very well.

We began the day by making a quick stop at a bakery where they make figurines for the day of the dead and other holidays. It was a great place to get original yet cheap gifts for people. We began to make our way towards Otavalo, and stopped a few places where there were great views of the volcanos. We also went to the equator (not the touristy one), basically just to say we were there.The scenery outside of Quito is really beautiful, so it's worth making the trip just for that. The acacia trees and everything else they grow there is really interesting. This was a Wednesday so the Otavalo market was probably not as full as on the weekends, but it was a great start for us as otherwise it probably would have been overwhelming. The shopping was fantastic, we got blankets, table cloths, hats, hand towels, jewelry, etc. and I still wanted to keep buying stuff.

For lunch Hugo took us to a really nice hacienda where Simon Bolivar had once stayed. It was really beautiful and the food was great as well. It was nice having a local to expain their favorite things on the menu. After that we went to Cotacachi, a town that specializes in leather. We only had about 30 minutes to spend there, so we went into as many stores as we could. I was very impressed by the quality, it is definitely comparable to what you can find in Italy. The whole town has new car smell from all the leather, I didn't want to leave. Afterwards we went to a crater lake in one of the old volcanos. It was beautiful, but it was raining so we just got out of the car quickly for a photo.

That was the end of our day as we wanted to get back in the city by about 7:30 to have dinner. The traffic going back is what you would expect in a major city, but it's not as bad when you're not the one driving. All in all it was a wonderful experience! If I find myself back in Quito (which I hope I do), I would book with them again and request Hugo again as well.

1  Thank Jess725
Ecuadorcruiser, Manager at Guanguiltagua Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2012

Dear Jessie,

Thank you so much for this critic. We are glad that you had a very good time with us on your Day trip. Hope to see you in the future again.

Reviewed June 4, 2012

When our group of college students wanted to see all the sights of the Galapagos Islands without traveling that far (and cheaper too) the Isla de la Plata excursion seemed like the ideal booking. Eva and Dennis were most helpful putting it together every step of the way. Our group was transported in vans to Puerto Lopez, a nice seaside town with tiki-style restaurants and artisan crafts. Then we enjoyed the 1-hour boat ride to the island in a speedboat that was about 25 feet and held 16 passengers. We were all given a life jacket and there were four crew on board. Once on Isla de la Plata we broke into groups, each with a tour guide that spoke English very well and knew a great deal about the wildlife and history of the area. Hiking on the island started with a steep climb but then an easy walk on top of the hill which was almost like a plateau. We covered nearly 3 miles and saw dozens of blue-footed boobies and other wildlife up close. Later during the snorkeling session we had giant sea turtles swim right up to our boat. Snorkeling gear was provided and the boats went to different areas so we weren't at all crowded. The tour provided a box lunch including the best, freshest tuna we had ever tasted along with fresh pineapple, and they even accommodated vegetarian needs. Overall this tour was everything we hoped for and well worth it. Eva and Dennis were great to work with.

1  Thank MARY M

Dear Mary,

Thanks a lot for your time and for this review. We are happy that your trip finally met your wishes.
Would love to serve you pretty soon with a deeper Ecuador and Galapagos experience in the near future.

Reviewed June 2, 2012

Most amazing month of my life... this review only covers the last week, but Dennis made it a complete adventure... we got to to see some of the jungle and had a fantastic time... He was incredibly knowledgeable and brought the city tour to life... (We did the city first and mentioned we would love to see the jungle but never got around to making the plans... he took care of everything.. It was great)

Below is a breakdown of our Itinerary... I would highly recommend Dennis if you are in the area... We told him what we were hoping to be able to do while we were in Ecuador... and he made it all happen. You can't beat that.... It has taken me months to get around to writing this review... but I am grinning ear to ear with my memories

Cotopaxi National Park. Along the Pan-American we stop for pictures and explanation of the geology of the northern Andes. Hiked to 15000 ft. It was one of the hardest hikes of my life and it was worth every breath I lost .. Then we drove to Limpiopungo Lake and observation of Andean aquatic birds like Andean gull, speckled teal and others. Beautiful trees as well

This is an overview of the Quito City Tour:

We drove to Old Town Quito, to visit XV to XIX cent. Spanish Ecuadorian plazas and churches. We visited the Presidential Palace where the president of Ecuador works, the Plaza Grande with the Independence Monument, the Sagrario church, the Jesus Company church and we saw the facade of San Francisco church and San Francisco plaza. A lot of nice handcrafted souvenirs, Ecuadorian coffee and chocolate. LOVE the coffee... Then we drove to Panecillo hill with the statue of the Virgin of Quito ... crazy roads in some areas

This is the Cuyabeno Reserve itinerary of Siona Lodge:

Day 1: Quito - Lago Agrio - Cuyabeno Reserve

Flight Quito - Lago Agrio. Reception in Lago Agrio has many treats and snacks... it is big enough for a dozen or two people... and transfer to Cuyabeno River.... even smaller... we did get a box lunch enroute at the little town while waiting for our connection to the river...At the entrance of the reserve visitors have to register in the reserve’s office and pay the entrance fee. We ate here as well... GREAT MEAL!! Here we began the two hours navigation through Cuyabeno River to the Big Lagoon, where the lodge is located. Along the river we got a taste of what was to come, several species in its natural habitat as monkeys, toucans, parrots, insect and the exuberant Amazonian vegetation. Arrival and check in. It was a slow night the first night, a small walk around camp was all we needed.

Day 2: Cuyabeno Reserve

After breakfast, departure to the Siona Indian Community of Puerto Bolivar, the largest ethnic group in the reserve. We got to make a local dish made of yucca, we dug the yucca ourselves and prepared the dish... excellent. Got treated by a shaman and he worked miracles on my neck.

The trip took hours navigation downstream to get there, on route be sure to look out for fauna on the Rio Cuyabeno such as: birds, monkeys, snakes, pink dolphins, and tortoises. I caught piranha as well ....Night navigation for watching Caymans. Night walk and then you were so tired you crashed hard.. :D Hint.. Do not turn your light on at night... it attracts night things.

I wish I could post pics.. I have a few of a monkey chasing my husband.. He loved him... my husband did not return the love..

Day 3: Cuyabeno Reserve

We toured the rivers and looked for anaconda.. Great stuff. Make sure your gum boots fit... It is hard to run from an anaconda with loose boots :D

On the last day we left early due to lack of rain... We were lucky with sunshine and perfect weather.. problem was it was the rainy season.. and the river was getting to be non existent...

But we made it back to the airport and back to Quito..

Where dennis and his Girl Eva had taken care of all of our scuba gear and equipment... 10's of thousands of dollars worth of stuff I was scared to leave...since we had basically just met Dennis and who "really" knew ..... but had no reason to fear... Dennis is a great guy who runs a great business who will make sure you get your monies worth everytime... And he will keep you safe while doing it... THANK YOU DENNIS AND EVA...

1  Thank Sassyalice

Dear Sherri,

Thanks so much for that detailed review. We would love to have you two again in Ecuador and Galapagos for more travelling!

Reviewed May 1, 2012

We recently flew to Quito (on our way to Galapagos) and had a free day in Quito. We were 2 grandparents, a mother and three children ages 14, 13, and 7. I found Eva on the Internet just a few days before we arrived in Quito. What a find! We had the best day with her and the best part was her flexibility. I couldn't predict how the children would hold up after the long flight from Boston, so I booked Eva for 6 hours. We saw all of the old town and had an outstanding lunch at Pim's. Toward the end of the afternoon when the children wanted to go to the equator, she didn't hesitate to make it happen. She even had to change cars and drivers as our original driver had another obligation. She didn't ask for more money (although I did increase her tip) and we got back to our hotel 1 1/2 hours after the originally scheduled time. Eva has great knowledge of Quito and is patient. She didn't rush us and was just perfect for our group. And her price was about 1/3 of the cost that was quoted to us from a larger agency. I recommend Quanguiltagua Expeditions without any reservations.

3  Thank PCLBoston_MA

Thank you so much for your comments about our Company and Eva's service! It was a real pleasure to do that service for you.

Reviewed April 26, 2012

We had a 3 day stop over in Quito, I looked around on Trip Advisor and found good reviews for Guanguiltagua. After i made enquiries i booked 2 day tours for our family of 5 (three children between 8 and 10). I was a bit nervous about paying an unknown company in Equador for the trip (via paypal) but it was all fine. Our guide and driver turned up at our hotel at the appointed time and we took a trip to Cotopaxi and Otavaro Market the next 2 days. Our guide was very knowledable and spoke excellent English. They were also very flexible, and when the kids got tired, we adjusted our trip itinerary. Our guide gave us a couple of options of places to eat and on both days the choices were excellant. I would recommend Guanguiltagua Expeditions for anyone wanting to explore the country.

4  Thank Katy T

Dear Katy,

I am glad you had a great time with us during your day trip. Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. We would love to provide you with more Ecuador experiences in the future.