“Exceptional in every way!”
Review of Casa Gangotena

Casa Gangotena
Ranked #3 of 116 Hotels in Quito
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We had originally booked a different hotel 1 block over but upon arrival we were told that they were overbooked for that first night. It's was about 11PM when we walked into the Gangotena, bags in hand hoping they had a room available. We were greeted by Alfanso who promptly got us settled into a room. The entire staff from the moment we walked in until the moment we said goodbye was exceptional. After hearing that it was our anniversary they even had a complimentary bottle of champagne sent up. The breakfast was the best in our entire trip. We had dinner in the restaurant one night and that was also top notch. We were supposed to go back to the original hotel the next day but decided to stay at the Gangotena for the full 3 nights instead. The kind lady at the desk (I can't recall her name) helped us get a hotel closer to the airport for our return flight home after we got back from the Galapagos and her recommendation was also exceptional!! A+++++

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Tnttravelers2014
FDelgadoV, General Manager at Casa Gangotena, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your kind worlds, it is definitely an honor for us turning your experience in a memorable one. We are proud of our staff and the way they manage to show our Ecuadorian hospitality.

With warm regards

Reviewed January 16, 2014

Couldnt have asked for a more exceptional stay. The location cannot be beaten. This hotel overlooks the Plaza San Francisco, which is one the most majestic in Quito. The food was outstanding.Breakfast was a treat to behold; afternoon tea on the terrace was a delight and dinner consisted of delicious noveau Ecuadorian cuisine. Our rooms was elegantly furnished and spacious. In addition to the above, the one key virtue that sets Gangotena apart from other top class hotels we have stayed at was the service. All the staff were incredible. They treated us like royalty but were genuinely friendly and so there was never a moment where we felt it was too much. The hotel is certainly chic and sumptuous though not excessively so that we had to tiptoe around it and not feel at home!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank peterc333
Reviewed January 14, 2014

This is a great hotel, and is truly a luxury stay. It is at ground zero in the old city, and you will never feel lonely. The staff is excellent, abundant, and very helpful. The maid staff is also excellent. The rooms are large and comfortable, and well-appointed. Wifi is free and of good quality. The breakfast is among the best I have ever had, and the restaurant is also quite good and adventurous. The public spaces are some of the nicest you will ever see. All in all, it is what you expect.

Room Tip: If you get one of the rooms with a plaza view (which cost more) be prepared for lots of noise from t...
2  Thank BlindTom
FDelgadoV, General Manager at Casa Gangotena, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Dear Blind Tom

Thank you so much for your great review of Casa Gangotena, I loved to know that we were able to make your time with us a very special one.
I am sorry to know that you found your room to be noisy, would you be kind enough in contacting me via e mail at gm@casagangotena.com , so I can have a better feed back on that issue, and we can improve the experience for future guests?

With warmest regards

Reviewed January 11, 2014

We spent four nights in total at CG - before and after a Galapagos trip. It was a wonderful time. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff and the ambience and decoration of the public areas has to be seen to be believed. It is a beautiful hotel. Our bedroom was beautifully decorated and the bathroom couldn't have been better - lots of lovely marble. The room looked out over the main square and the view was magical especially at night when the San Francisco church is all lit up. Quito itself was a delight and staying at the CG added to the brilliant experience. If we had any criticism it would be of service in the restaurant which could be slow even when there weren't many diners. However, given the excellence of everything else we could excuse this shortcoming. If you are going to Quito and want a top rate experience, stay here..

Room Tip: We had a superior room - definitely worth the money for the view over the square. Could be a bit noi...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rhoslyn R

Dear Rhoslyn,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience in Casa Gangotena with the Trip Advisor community.
I am delighted to know how much you enjoyed your stay with us , and I have taken note of your remarks about the service in the restaurant, your comment is very helpful and will be shared with my F&B team.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

We stayed for two nights over the Christmas break and were looked after excellently. The highlight was the party the hotel arranged for our daughter's birthday, which made the stay even more special and the service levels get full marks for the effort the team went to.

The only area where I think the hotel could improve is the dining room, which lacks any atmosphere. The lovely glazed atrium to the rear of reception would surely be a nicer place to eat and the dining area could be refurbished as the sitting area perhaps?

Beds are extremely comfortable and the roof terrace was a gem, once we discovered it. The hotel could perhaps do more to make guests aware of this and the superb teas, neither of which we knew about unitl our final day. Definitely the place to stay in Quito if your budget allows.

1  Thank chasm1

Dear Chasm 1,
Thank you very much for reviewing Casa Gangotena, and for your feedback on what we can improve.
I am very glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Regarding the dining room I agree with your observation that our dining room décor and ambiance can be improved, and for that reason I am pleased to tell you that we will do a complete remodelling of the space during this year, so to make this very important area of Casa Gangotena, more consistent with the rest of the hotel.
Wishing you all the best

Yours truly,

Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

My weekend trip to Quito was unforgettably excellent.
This was my second trip to Ecuador after 12 years.
And it was the best hotel choice ever.
I can truly recommend CASA GANGOTENA because of its thoughtful staff, beautiful and clean room and delicious food at reasonable prices.
At the airport, I got picked up by German, who accompanied me to the van and explained to me Ecuador's economic development of the past 12 years.
A 50 minutes car ride has never been so informative and pleasant.

The staff were also very considerable and nice to my friends who came to pick me up at the hotel lobby every day.
My friends were also offered drinks and received a warm welcome although we didn't expect this.
Thank you, Casa Gangotena. I appreciated this very much.

When I suddenly felt a headache coming up, the concierge quickly gave me 'mate' herbal tea with compliments of the hotel.

Furthermore the receptionists were competent, extremely friendly, helpful and fast, even in carrying out requests given to my situation (I had to stay one more night due to a problem with Copa Airline who were giving me a hard time! I referred to the receptionists and shared my trouble. For Casa Gangotena no problem at all. They quickly relocated me into another room in the same category and helped me in printing off documents related to my problem with the airline).

A special thank you to the hotel staff, concierge, portiers, receptionists and room maids for my wonderful three nights at CASA GANGOTENA.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Benji_Suiza
FDelgadoV, General Manager at Casa Gangotena, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear sandagirl_82

Thank you very much for your kind words, and for sharing the highlights of your experience in Casa Gangotena with the Trip Advisor community, I am very happy to know that your transfer from the airport was also an educational experience! and I hope that the issues with your airline where finally solved. Reading a comment like yours not only makes me prouder of my team, but also creates a stronger compromise for us all in delivering a service of excellence.
Once again thank you very much!

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Despite arriving very late at night after a 1 hour drive from the airport our group of 8 were greeted by 6 (!) very friendly staff with welcome drinks and sandwiches, and very efficiently shown to our beautifully appointed rooms overlooking the famous central plaza in Quito.

Casa Gangotena is an historical landmark in it's own right, with a fascinating history and beautiful interior. The hotel does not have many amenities per se, but it is superbly run with truly exquisite service and is quite frankly, faultless.

The breakfast buffet was copious and the restaurant was staffed by very friendly waiters and waitresses. There is also a rooftop balcony with stunning views over the city.

One note of interest...Ecuadorian law prohibits serving alcohol with meals on Sundays after about 3pm. You can only bypass this by ordering room service.

If you want to see the old town this is as good as it gets and a far better intro to Quito than any of the international chain hotels that are in the newer part of the city. We loved it,

Room Tip: You must get a room overlooking the square....this is a National Geographic view!
2  Thank NeilOakshott
FDelgadoV, General Manager at Casa Gangotena, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear Mr.Oakshott

Thank you very much for your kind words about your experience in Casa Gangotena, there is not greater accolade for us all than receiving a review like yours.