“Special Stay”
Review of Casa Gangotena

Casa Gangotena
Ranked #3 of 116 Hotels in Quito
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We stayed for two nights over the Christmas break and were looked after excellently. The highlight was the party the hotel arranged for our daughter's birthday, which made the stay even more special and the service levels get full marks for the effort the team went to.

The only area where I think the hotel could improve is the dining room, which lacks any atmosphere. The lovely glazed atrium to the rear of reception would surely be a nicer place to eat and the dining area could be refurbished as the sitting area perhaps?

Beds are extremely comfortable and the roof terrace was a gem, once we discovered it. The hotel could perhaps do more to make guests aware of this and the superb teas, neither of which we knew about unitl our final day. Definitely the place to stay in Quito if your budget allows.

1  Thank chasm1
FDelgadoV, General Manager at Casa Gangotena, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Dear Chasm 1,
Thank you very much for reviewing Casa Gangotena, and for your feedback on what we can improve.
I am very glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Regarding the dining room I agree with your observation that our dining room décor and ambiance can be improved, and for that reason I am pleased to tell you that we will do a complete remodelling of the space during this year, so to make this very important area of Casa Gangotena, more consistent with the rest of the hotel.
Wishing you all the best

Yours truly,

Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

My weekend trip to Quito was unforgettably excellent.
This was my second trip to Ecuador after 12 years.
And it was the best hotel choice ever.
I can truly recommend CASA GANGOTENA because of its thoughtful staff, beautiful and clean room and delicious food at reasonable prices.
At the airport, I got picked up by German, who accompanied me to the van and explained to me Ecuador's economic development of the past 12 years.
A 50 minutes car ride has never been so informative and pleasant.

The staff were also very considerable and nice to my friends who came to pick me up at the hotel lobby every day.
My friends were also offered drinks and received a warm welcome although we didn't expect this.
Thank you, Casa Gangotena. I appreciated this very much.

When I suddenly felt a headache coming up, the concierge quickly gave me 'mate' herbal tea with compliments of the hotel.

Furthermore the receptionists were competent, extremely friendly, helpful and fast, even in carrying out requests given to my situation (I had to stay one more night due to a problem with Copa Airline who were giving me a hard time! I referred to the receptionists and shared my trouble. For Casa Gangotena no problem at all. They quickly relocated me into another room in the same category and helped me in printing off documents related to my problem with the airline).

A special thank you to the hotel staff, concierge, portiers, receptionists and room maids for my wonderful three nights at CASA GANGOTENA.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Benji_Suiza
FDelgadoV, General Manager at Casa Gangotena, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear sandagirl_82

Thank you very much for your kind words, and for sharing the highlights of your experience in Casa Gangotena with the Trip Advisor community, I am very happy to know that your transfer from the airport was also an educational experience! and I hope that the issues with your airline where finally solved. Reading a comment like yours not only makes me prouder of my team, but also creates a stronger compromise for us all in delivering a service of excellence.
Once again thank you very much!

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Despite arriving very late at night after a 1 hour drive from the airport our group of 8 were greeted by 6 (!) very friendly staff with welcome drinks and sandwiches, and very efficiently shown to our beautifully appointed rooms overlooking the famous central plaza in Quito.

Casa Gangotena is an historical landmark in it's own right, with a fascinating history and beautiful interior. The hotel does not have many amenities per se, but it is superbly run with truly exquisite service and is quite frankly, faultless.

The breakfast buffet was copious and the restaurant was staffed by very friendly waiters and waitresses. There is also a rooftop balcony with stunning views over the city.

One note of interest...Ecuadorian law prohibits serving alcohol with meals on Sundays after about 3pm. You can only bypass this by ordering room service.

If you want to see the old town this is as good as it gets and a far better intro to Quito than any of the international chain hotels that are in the newer part of the city. We loved it,

Room Tip: You must get a room overlooking the square....this is a National Geographic view!
2  Thank NeilOakshott
FDelgadoV, General Manager at Casa Gangotena, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear Mr.Oakshott

Thank you very much for your kind words about your experience in Casa Gangotena, there is not greater accolade for us all than receiving a review like yours.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights prior to a trip to the Galápagos Islands. Very comfortable room. The staff were so polite and nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast selection was excellent and the afternoon tea a must! Highly recommended.

2  Thank susan b
Southerner057, General Manager at Casa Gangotena, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Dear Susan B,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience at Casa Gangotena oasis  with the TripAdvisor community.
Wishing you a 2014 full of joy, health and success

Reviewed December 19, 2013

We arrived tired, late and very smelly (after spending 4 days in the Amazon rainforest). But even in the best of circumstances this would have rated as a top hotel.

Helpful, friendly, good location. The food is good (you MUST have the free afternoon tea).

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gcluer

Dear G Cluer
Thank you very much for your review , is a honour for us all in Casa Gangotena to be considered as the best Hotel so far, by a Top Contributor of Trip Advisor.
I would like to take this opportunity to wish you and your loved ones a fantastic 2014.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

Wow, really stunning and unexpeted! Perfectly situated in the middle of Quito's charming old town, you will find Casa Gamgotena, which posseses all the touches, thoughtfulness and feel of a cosy historic town, combined with the luxury of an impecably and efficiently run pro like a Four Seasons or Peninsula. I cannot say how I was made to feel at home, the staff were warm and caring yet attended effectively and proactively to all my needs: I was travelling on a volunteering trip but was also there on business, so needed both business suport and traveller tips. Each and every detail delights, from the fresh roses in all the corridors, orchids on my desk, delicious english style mid-afternoon tea and treats in the atrium, lushious floor to celing marble bathrooms, butleresque room service, and dreamy bed with egyptian cotton sheets. I cannot say how perfect it was in each and every way/ Thank youi so very much for such a marvelous home away from home!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Pheaonah

Dear Pheanoah,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review about your experience with us in Casa Gangotena. We want to be a showcase of the best that Ecuador has to offer, , but specially sharing with our guests our culture and the hospitality of our people.
We all , look forward to be your hosts in Quito again
Wishing you a very happy 2014
All the Best

Reviewed December 7, 2013

We also stayed between Cloud Forest and Galapagos trips, and felt sad not to have experienced the hotel fully. It lived up to its reputation, and nothing was too much trouble for the staff, even making a backup disc for our many photos so far.
It was strange but delightful to have an afternoon tea in beautiful surroundings in a lovely atmospheric part of the old town.
The fresh flowers were stunning, and the fruit in the room delicious, even with instructions!
Breakfast was an absolute trea, with champagne available for the brave.

Room Tip: We stayed in two rooms, both spacious and well equipped.It was good overlooking the inner courtyard.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family