All reviews high tea beautiful hotel mashpi lodge plaza view room the plaza san francisco old town marble bathroom restored mansion luxury hotel roof terrace turn down service fresh flowers private tour ceviche three nights third floor beautiful room
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We cannot thank the staff at Casa Gangotena enough for an amazing trip. We've never stayed at a hotel where you instantly felt pampered, relaxed, and so at home so quickly. We are planning other trips to South America just so that we can spend a few more days at this wonderful hotel-- it was that terrific.

We took the Chef's tour with Chef Andres and highly recommend it. It was like being on a Travel Channel food show, with the nicest chef you could imagine. We learned not only about cooking, but about culture and living in Ecuador. That evening we had the benefit of enjoying some of the items we purchased with Chef that morning, and he explained each course to us. We also had a lovely conversation with Sous Chef (also) Andres during tea. I could go on and on about how amazing the food is and be unable to do it justice. I'm a total foodie and they met every expectation and then some. Be sure to sample the local chocolate as well as the fruit in your room and all of the goodies at tea. I'm still dreaming of the hot chocolate. Afternoon tea is so wonderful that we planned our day around it.

Wagner the concierge was amazing. Without my knowledge he coordinated a surprise for us with family at home, and overall just made us feel taken care of. Whether it was running after us to make sure the taxi driver knew where to take us and wait for us, or arranging for tea for me to combat my altitude sickness, he went above the call of duty, which is exactly what Casa Gangotena is all about. We also extend our gratitude to our waiter whose name I don't recall but who was wonderful as well.

Simply put, Casa Gangotena is an absolute gem.

Room tip: Loved our room overlooking Plaza San Francisco-- took amazing photos from the balcony.
Date of stay: August 2013
2  Thank WeGo_WeWent
Reviewed October 9, 2013

My husband and I read about this hotel in Andrew Harper and could not have been more happy !
This old Casa owned by a renown Quito family for generations has been renovated to the tune of 14 million US dollars and it shows .The service is beyond excellent and the food just as good. We read in Conde Nast that we could arrange to go with the Executive Chef to the meat ,fruit and vegetable markets as he shopped for his daily cuisine for the restaurant ......Andres Davila is the Executive Chef and what a treat we had visiting the food mercado ,his personal herbalist at the market, learning the plants and herbs used for healing and cooking and seeing all the indigenous fruits and vegetables .we of course tasted all along the way.the past two days stay will go down as one of our BEST experiences ever !

Date of stay: October 2013
2  Thank pennywave
Reviewed October 6, 2013

After the inaugural cruise of the Silver Seas Silver Galapagos to the islands, we only got to spend one night and the next day before flying out at midnight, but thoroughly enjoyed this jewel of a boutique hotel. The rooms are lovely with large marble baths. The view onto the main square is especially delightful at night when the lights are on. The view from the terrace is stunning. The service in the dining room is old-world special.

Date of stay: October 2013
2  Thank Barbara S
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I just spent 4 nights in Quito at Casa Gangotena and can't complain about a thing! The staff was so attentive to my needs. The meals, rooms and staff were as good if not better then any hotel in Latin America. Its a newly refurbished hotel in one of the two most important squares in the historical unesco center. San Francisco square has a stunning church and there is always something cultural going on right outside. One of the surprises in the early am is that the church bell rings at 5 am and 6 am so if you want to sleep in your going to need to go through that! I was up early for a convention so it didn't bother me a bit.

Room tip: The rooms facing the square are best but the inside courtyard rooms are private and peaceful.
Date of stay: September 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank mikebrazil
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We stayed with my wife twice in Quito and enjoy the atmosphere, the service and kitchen of this hotel. It's an unique proposition, because this house has been refurbished two years ago, creating an hotel that is more like a palace, at San Francisco Square, Rooms are very well decorated, with colonial style. Sip a glace of wine at fresco at the roof terrace. Enjoy a nice diner, choosing the daily proposition of the chef.

its the place to stay in Quito

Room tip: choose rooms with a view towards San Francisco Square.
Date of stay: September 2013