“A wonderful stay!”
Review of Casa Gangotena

Casa Gangotena
Ranked #3 of 113 Hotels in Quito
Reviewed July 10, 2012

The Casa Gangotena is truly a terrific hotel! The rooms and public areas are beautifully and very tastefully restored. The service from the staff is extraordinarily good. The location on the main square in the old town is very convenient to this interesting part of town, though it is a bit of a hike from the airport. The food in the restaurant was very well prepared and presented, and room service is available 24X7.

As we had a very early departure, the hotel had some light snacks for us in the lobby, along with fresh juice and coffee. This is indicative of the attentive and sensitive service that the hotel provides.

The staff was very willing to assist us with some airline troubles we were having (cancelled flights, missing luggage), which allowed us to enjoy our stay and not spend all day trying to get resolution to these problems.

While I speak Spanish, I was aware that some guests did not. I always heard the staff speaking with them in excellent English.

I would recommend the hotel without reservation. It is beautiful and my stay there was just wonderful.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Bridget7477

Reviewed July 5, 2012

My family stayed a total of 4 nights in two of their "luxury" rooms. The property is exquisite, the staff is incredibly attentive and the location is terrific! The breakfast buffet (and room service) was very nice too.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank DavidAHarris
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I recently stayed twice at the Casa Gangotena and it's a fabulous addition to the hotel scene in Latin America. The location is central on the main square, with beautiful views of the city's churches and lights. The renovation was sensitivrly done - serene, elegant, with contemporary touches. We arrived at 5 am from a delayed flight and the staff really made sure we settled in comfortably with a snack before we went to bed. Every staff member has clearly been chosen and trained with special care. The restaurant is very good with equally attentive staff. When we left on the second visit for a 6 am flight, they had hot cafe con leche, fruit and warm breads at reception for us- no touch has been forgotten. I will definitely find excuses to go back again soon to this special refuge.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sarasota258
Reviewed May 25, 2012

We stayed at the Casa Gangotena for a few days after having a wonderful time in the Galapagos. The hotel is in the old town of the city which is great for getting to all the cathedrals, museums, and main square. It has been beautifully redone since it was formally an old family home. Our rooms were spectacular with wonderful views over the plaza san francisco. All the detail put into the construction/remodelling was amazing. The lobby and hallways had lovely flowers and a very relaxing atmosphere.

The food was great as well, we had breakfast there everyday and one dinner. Their coffee was also really good so we asked the hotel staff what brand they use. They were kind enough to find out for us, it was from a local company, Nocion. We later went to their cafe in the new section of town which had awesome drinks and snacks and we bought a ton of coffee to take home.

The service at the hotel was also amazing. We were there during the rainy season so it was very helpful to have umbrellas to use everytime we went out. One night I happened to fall on one of the cobblestones in the square and unfortunately sprained my hand. The hotel was super helpful in bringing me ice and even offered to call a doctor but luckily this was unneeded.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Quito. We did spend one night at the Hilton in the new part of town as it was part of Galapagos package. The Hilton was extremely nice as well, but if you want to stay in the old section of town and be close to the more historic areas the Casa Gangotena is fabulous. Also it's really easy (and cheap) to get to the new section via taxi if you want to go shopping or explore that area.

I hope I get back to Quito one day and get to stay the Casa Gangotena again!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank Jess725
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Used this as a base to explore Quito. Fantastic hotel in a really good location. Staff efficient and friendly. Food in the restaurant very good.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the square might offer a better view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Bobcat901
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I travel a lot and this hotel is one of the best I have stayed in. I had a room overlooking the Plaza and on my first day, when I was flattened by the altitude, I was perfectly happy to sit in my room looking at life going on in the plaza. The service was spectacular. The staff were there when I needed them and not there when I didn't. Great coffee at the bar downstairs. Comfy beds and plush pillows. Quiet, serene rooms. I loved the little touches, like the selection of Ecuadorian fruit and the chocolates every night. I was sad to leave.

Room Tip: The plaza-facing rooms have a great view of the church and bustle of the plaza.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank zoecello
Reviewed May 24, 2012

The owners Metropolitan Touring have spent a huge sum in converting this former private mansion into a superb boutique hotel. Our room looking out on the plaza was outstanding, food divine and customer service top notch. The only negative comments I could add is that you do get some street noise from the busy plaza and from an environmental view we didn't need clean towels every day! If this hotel was in Europe it would be simply unaffordable so it was a real treat to have had to opportunity to experience it in Quito as I'm not sure I'll stay anywhere quite so lovely ever again!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple