“Fantastic!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cafe Dios No Muere
Ranked #8 of 55 Coffee & Tea in Quito
Cuisines: Cafe, Ecuadorean, Cajun & Creole
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Classical traditional Cafe located in the 17th Century Monastery of Santa Catalina. We also own a farm 2 hours from Quito and grown our own lemons, yucca, bananas, oranges, coffee and cacao (chocolate).
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

As a line traveller eating dinner out can occasionally be a bit daunting in a new town but couldn't have been made to feel more welcome in this compact but bijoux restaurant in Quito Old Town.

The food was delicious, much of the ingredients sourced locally and overall definitely deserving the high rating that other reviewers have given it.

1 Thank Lauractl
MATtheEXPAT, Guest Relations Manager at Cafe Dios No Muere, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
We really appreciate the time to write this comment and enjoyed having you at our humble cafe. Please drop in on your return visit to Quito.. It is people like you that make running a cafe in a 400 year old Monastery interesting!

Bolton, United Kingdom
“ExPat gets it all right”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

Owner Mat gave us his utmost attention, he cooked in front of us (the restaurant is on 3 floors, we chose to be on the ground floor). Mat told us lots about the history of the building. The food was brilliant. We shared a plate of cheeses to start, hubby had a giant ribeye steak and I had the mixed platter. Definitely recommended.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Fur_and_feathers
MATtheEXPAT, General Manager at Cafe Dios No Muere, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
We appreciate your patronage and the comments. It appears this week is UK week as most of our customers have been Brits. It has been great fun!
Macon, Georgia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“bread pudding and home grown coffee”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

Mathieu brings the delicious taste of Louisiana to Quito. The food is very good, and the conversation is even better. Have Mathieu tell you how the restaurant got its name.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Susan_Jim63
MATtheEXPAT, Manager at Cafe Dios No Muere, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you very much for the comment and vsiit to our humble cafe. In my view......Southerners fare the best story tellers in the US and you were not the exception! We enjoyed hearing your tales and hope you can come back!
Cuenca, Ecuador
“Quite the Cuisine in Quito on the Corner of a Cobble-Stone Calle.......”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

Say THAT 10 times fast!!!! NO KIDDING, THIS restaurant is GREEAAAT!! If you're looking for fantastic food, GREAT conversation all reasonably priced...you found the place. Mathiew, who hails from Louisiana and he, and his family have made Quito their home, Matt makes the QUINTESSENTIAL QUITO STEAK!!
Honestly? I've traveled the world over, and his marinated Uruguayan steak is out of THIS world....NOW, I'm POSITIVE "Dios No Muere"!!!
Don't let the facade of this place fool you...you REALLY have to look to find it. When you do; you will be looking straight into his small kitchen, a couple of tables near by to discuss whatever catches your fancy. It's a three story establishment with LOTS of character (and characters). It's in the "Old City" of Quito. Churches abound, and lunch or dinner can turn into a very memorable experience!! I see NOW why it's rated #2, and should be #1, in Quito. I HIGHLY recommend this place...and I don't recommend many!! UNFORGETTABLE!!
BTW...Matt's friend Juan is a guide; I hear he's TERRIFIC as well...I plan on using HIS services this weekend on a "getaway"....
PS. NOPE...Matt did NOT pay me to write this review!!!

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Mike R
MATtheEXPAT, Director of Sales at Cafe Dios No Muere, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
We really appreciate the wonderful accolades on our humble cafe. But more importantly, we are very grateful for the time you have taken to leave us a comment. Quite frankly, our cafe would not be so great if it was not for patrons like yourself. We LIVE to hear all the great stories from our guests and especially from someone like yourself......a real RECONTOUR. As for the steak.....I can assure you we are the only establishment serving Uruguayan meat marinated with a Louisiana flavo
North of Chicago
“Great Steak! If I had one better, I forgot!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

Spent a couple of weeks in Quito and found Dios No Muere, a terrific find. It is tiny cafe with a limited, but creative menu.

The place is in a corner of a 17th century convent. Plenty of atmosphere and history. Owner Matt Guillory runs the show here and acts as host, chef and resident raconteur. The music selection is pretty amazing. (Matt's from New Orleans, and you quickly learn of his love of music and food.) The cooking has a definite Cajun influence.

I loved the cheese plate. Tilsit and Gouda actually made by his friends in the area. It's great with red wine! My wife and I had the Uruguayan steak on our last night. If I had one better, I forgot. The cut was excellent, tender, and boy, was it good! If you want a great steak, this is the place.

It's a cool place to hang out, nosh a bit, drink some wine, and listen to an eclectic musical mix. Everything from Gregorian chant to Mahalia Jackson to Andy Williams.

Had a great time, met some amazing folks, and will definitely hang out there again if I make it back to Quito.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MATtheEXPAT, Manager at Cafe Dios No Muere, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
We thank you for your patronage and it seemed you were with us everyday. I want to personally thank you for your service to our country in Vietnam and loved to hear not only your extensive travel stories but interesting finds at antiquarian shops around the world. If I can find an authentic shrunken head from the Amazon.....we will put it in the cafe! We have not intended to become a "steak house" but the Louisiana Marinated Steak from Uruguay is becoming our most popular item on the menu! Please give you wife our best and hope you return again to this great country.