“Remodeled and better than ever!”
Review of El Arabe

El Arabe
Ranked #121 of 1,487 Restaurants in Quito
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I've been eating at this place for years and it's always excellent. Just recently they've remodeled the interior and it looks great (a bit less of the diner look and more of a middle eastern look) and they have new menus (same food items, just a nicer menu presentation). Prices have gone up a bit but not too much. Service was good as usual. I was surprised to read Treva's review below...as nothing like that has happened in the 10+ years I've been frequenting El Arabe. The owner is always at the restaurant, and he runs a tight ship which is probably the reason the restaurant is consistently good and has lasted for so many years. He has never gone out of his way to be friendly..but he certainly has never been rude to me or any of his patrons while I have been there. I whole heartedly continue to recommend El Arabe, especially to vegetarians who otherwise get bored with choices in Quito.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

I have been frequenting this place for several years. The food is really good. The owner has never been exceptionally personable but he makes awesome aji. After ordering on my last visit, the owner approached the table and demanded we order drinks with our meal. He raised his voice at me and my party and told us that we needed to order a beverage with our food. I informed him that I was fine without a beverage and one person in our party ordered a Sprite. He retorted that that was not enough and each person had to order a soft drink. We refused. We were given our meal and enjoyed the food. If you are looking for Mediterranean in Quito, I highly recommend you avoid this poor service and go to Sulvaki on Amazonas near Jorge Washington. The food at Sulvaki is tastier, the service is much friendlier, and the prices are even cheaper!

2  Thank Treva
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Good shawarma and hummus. You can eat cheaper in Quito of course but this is a pretty nice place with good service—definitely a great value.

The shawarma has plenty of meat which was a plus!

We came to Ecuador from the Middle East and we were glad to find this since shawarma is not available in small town United States.

Reviewed March 25, 2012

Not the most fancy place, but it has really good food and was a welcome change from the other options of the Mariscal area. Really good vegetarian options (the vegetarian plate is a good choice) and the hummus is yummy. Would definitely recommend.

Reviewed February 9, 2012

just what one would expect, some vegetarian dishes and desserts